PDA

View Full Version : LAN/WLAN issue

torwinen
2006-12-18, 02:18
Dont know if this is already discussed here but:

I just bought a WLAN version of Squeezebox and I am very happy with it. Just one problem (or an improvement idea) about LAN and WLAN. My PC is connected to Squeezebox via LAN and Squeezebox to internet via WLAN (via AP and ADSL). PC is accessing internet via Squeezebox which has LAN bridged to WLAN. Now, my problem is that I dont have the WLAN always ON in my house. Whenever this is true, I have to change the settings in the Squeezebox to connect to server via LAN instead of WLAN. I wish Squeezebox could sniff the available networks and change to the one that is available (would need a setting which one to prefer is both are available). One option would be if Squeezebox could have easier way to change between connecting profiles. Now I have to go through all the settings to change from one to another. How about an ability to save the settings to settings 1 and settings 2?

Until that, I guess I have to keep the WLAN always ON. Or do I have some other options?

Marko

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-18, 07:12
This is actually a partially-broken setup that involves more than profiles - when you connect the Squeezebox to the PC, bridging will be disabled. You should find that the PC loses Internet access when the LAN option is on. When you turn the LAN function on, the Squeezebox turns the wireless card off.

At any rate, it's a very, very rare setup. Yours is the first mention of such an arrangement. You can file an enhancement request at http://bugs.slimdevices.com (you'll have to create a new account) - it's the only way the firmware developers can track it.

However, and I don't mean any offence here, it would not benefit many people and firmware space is tight enough as it is. Only the developers can say for sure whether it will be worthwhile for other issues though, and unless you put in an enhancement request, you'll never know and it will never get done.

As a workaround, connect the PC to your router either using a cable or a wireless bridge. The cable is preferred because that will only make it one wireless hop to your Squeezebox. I understand that's part of the reason you have the Squeezebox in the first place, but if you have the Squeezebox close enough to the PC to wire it (and the Squeezebox close to your stereo), why not use a long audio cable out of the PC to the stereo and use the Squeezebox elsewhere? This way the Squeezebox will always be in communication over wireless for both SqueezeNetwork and SlimServer. Plus the PC will always have Internet access.

torwinen
2006-12-19, 04:59
This is actually a partially-broken setup that involves more than profiles - when you connect the Squeezebox to the PC, bridging will be disabled. You should find that the PC loses Internet access when the LAN option is on. When you turn the LAN function on, the Squeezebox turns the wireless card off.

At any rate, it's a very, very rare setup. Yours is the first mention of such an arrangement. You can file an enhancement request at http://bugs.slimdevices.com (you'll have to create a new account) - it's the only way the firmware developers can track it.

However, and I don't mean any offence here, it would not benefit many people and firmware space is tight enough as it is. Only the developers can say for sure whether it will be worthwhile for other issues though, and unless you put in an enhancement request, you'll never know and it will never get done.

As a workaround, connect the PC to your router either using a cable or a wireless bridge. The cable is preferred because that will only make it one wireless hop to your Squeezebox. I understand that's part of the reason you have the Squeezebox in the first place, but if you have the Squeezebox close enough to the PC to wire it (and the Squeezebox close to your stereo), why not use a long audio cable out of the PC to the stereo and use the Squeezebox elsewhere? This way the Squeezebox will always be in communication over wireless for both SqueezeNetwork and SlimServer. Plus the PC will always have Internet access.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them.

Do you mean that even if I have wireless ON and LAN bridged, Squeezebox has to access the server in the LAN via wireless connection? So the music files have to be transferred from LAN=>Squeezebox=>WLAN=>WLAN-AP=>WLAN=>Squeezebox in order to be able to play them? If there is a switch or router inside Squeezebox, connecting to LAN would be easy if the WLAN is down.

I guess I will have to do some arrangements to have WLAN always ON. Connecting audio from PC to amplifier is not an option because that was the point of getting the Squeezebox :-) I already tried having different connections from the PC and Squeezebox but wanted to upgrade my old 11Mbit/s USB stick to 54Mbit/s you have in Squeezebox.

Thanks

Marko

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-19, 07:45
Do you mean that even if I have wireless ON and LAN bridged, Squeezebox has to access the server in the LAN via wireless connection?

Yes, but it likely won't work:

- wireless on, Squeezebox can operate as a SqueezeNetwork player and also as a bridge for the server PC. Server PC gains Internet access through Squeezebox bridged connection but SlimServer will not work - Squeezebox is currently connected to SqueezeNetwork. If you log out of SqueezeNetwork, the Squeezebox might be able to find the SlimServer, but it's a convoluted path - it will contact the router, who will say "Yup, I know where it is, it's a bridged device attached to you!", pass it back to the Squeezebox, the Squeezebox now acts as a bridge and passes the traffic to the server which then might respond, but the traffic would have to go through the same circuitous route. It would be very slow and unreliable if it ever worked at all. See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign, last section, second-last paragraph.

- LAN on: when you tell the Squeezebox that the server is on a wired connection, it deactivates the wireless card, thus stopping bridging. The connection to SlimServer will be great (can't beat good old copper) but the server will have no Internet access and the player will have no access to online content, nor could you switch to SqueezeNetwork because there's no way to get to the router and from there to the Internet.

So the music files have to be transferred from LAN=>Squeezebox=>WLAN=>WLAN-AP=>WLAN=>Squeezebox in order to be able to play them?

Yup, that's the "circuitous route" I was talking about. You'd be lucky if it works at all.

If there is a switch or router inside Squeezebox, connecting to LAN would be easy if the WLAN is down.

I suppose so - but again, you have a very unusual arrangement. In almost every other usage pattern, this functionality wouldn't help at all. For example, my Squeezebox is wirelessly connected with no wired LAN connection. I suppose 80-90% of users are like this. If on connection failure, the Squeezebox reverted to its LAN connection, there'd be nothing there. For users on Ethernet, they either have no wireless network at all or one which SlimServer isn't connected to - again, an automatic switchover from Ethernet to wireless would not find their SlimServer.

I guess I will have to do some arrangements to have WLAN always ON. Connecting audio from PC to amplifier is not an option because that was the point of getting the Squeezebox :-)

Yeah, the "long audio cable" is pretty limiting. :-)

I already tried having different connections from the PC and Squeezebox but wanted to upgrade my old 11Mbit/s USB stick to 54Mbit/s you have in Squeezebox.

Hmm, if you installed an 802.11g wireless card (PCI card or USB dongle) in the PC, it could be connected to the router wirelessly. The Squeezebox would then see it through the router, though this would be a 2-hop wireless arragement, again see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?NetworkDesign. It would be better to wire the server to the router. However, a 2-hop wireless arrangement would be preferable to that "circuitous route" since 2-hop arrangements do work for some people, even with high-bandwidth FLAC and WAV files.

sdenner
2007-01-06, 08:51
Dont know if this is already discussed here but:

I just bought a WLAN version of Squeezebox and I am very happy with it. Just one problem (or an improvement idea) about LAN and WLAN. My PC is connected to Squeezebox via LAN and Squeezebox to internet via WLAN (via AP and ADSL). PC is accessing internet via Squeezebox which has LAN bridged to WLAN. Now, my problem is that I dont have the WLAN always ON in my house. Whenever this is true, I have to change the settings in the Squeezebox to connect to server via LAN instead of WLAN. I wish Squeezebox could sniff the available networks and change to the one that is available (would need a setting which one to prefer is both are available). One option would be if Squeezebox could have easier way to change between connecting profiles. Now I have to go through all the settings to change from one to another. How about an ability to save the settings to settings 1 and settings 2?

Until that, I guess I have to keep the WLAN always ON. Or do I have some other options?

Marko

I have the same setup as this - slimserver on Wired and Internet on Wireless, but the music does not stream through the WLAN. My reason for putting my slimserver PC on the wired Ethernet port of the SB was to get more bandwidth for streaming FLAC files and making the SB display scroll smoothly. The walls in my house are thick and the wireless router is upstairs so the signal strength is not great. The setup works perfectly, the only drawback is I have to have the wireless access point switched on in order to make Wake On LAN on the slimserver work.

Once the slimserver is booted the wireless access point can be turned off and the music still streams at 100Mbit/s.

I wish the Squeezebox would attempt Wake On LAN using both the wireless and the wired connection as that would complete the setup.