PDA

View Full Version : Can I play custom radio URLs without having to switch on my PC?

chebyrator
2006-12-17, 20:07
From what I have been reading it sounds like this is the case, but then alot of people post about issues with Slimserver...

So just wanted to confirm before I buy, can I load the radio stations into my SB and just stream it directly through my wireless conection, without getting my PC involved?

Thanks in advance,
nick

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-17, 20:17
To be clear, you always need some sort of server, whether it's the local SlimServer on your PC or SqueezeNetwork ("the big SlimServer in the sky").

Actually with the latest firmware, the connection is made directly with the player. Once it's established, the player will keep playing as long as the stream remains intact. You lose things the server provides like, oh, the screen, the ability to stop, pause and change tracks, etc., but the stream keeps going as long as it's uninterrupted from the source.

But you do need a server of some sort to get it started, and it doesn't have to be on your PC.

chebyrator
2006-12-17, 20:25
Thanks for the quick reply, so from what I understand theres Slimnetwork which is online somewhere?

and then theres slimserver which is on my computer yea? The radio stations I want to listen to are live so theres no need to change tracks or anything.

Could I somehow upload the URL to Slimnetwork? sorry just geting confused between the 2

chebyrator
2006-12-17, 20:38
and just to clarify I do have a pc and I understand that I need to setup SB with it etc. Just yea to listen to my own Internet Radio do I need to have the PC on at the same time? or once I load the URLS somewhere it will keep playing on its own?

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-17, 20:40
Thanks for the quick reply, so from what I understand theres Slimnetwork which is online somewhere?

Sure, www.squeezenetwork.com

and then theres slimserver which is on my computer yea?

Yes, which you download at http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads

The radio stations I want to listen to are live so theres no need to change tracks or anything.

OK, but as I said, you'll have to get the tracks started by connecting to a server.

However you use the term "tracks" (plural) which means you have several. In order to change between them you need to have a server active.

Could I somehow upload the URL to Slimnetwork? sorry just geting confused between the 2

Yes, you can store favorites in SqueezeNetwork once you're registered.

I believe you can try all this out with SlimServer and SoftSqueeze, both free.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-17, 20:44
and just to clarify I do have a pc and I understand that I need to setup SB with it etc.

Yes.

Just yea to listen to my own Internet Radio do I need to have the PC on at the same time?

Not if you connect to SqueezeNetwork, no.

or once I load the URLS somewhere it will keep playing on its own?

If you save them as SqueezeNetwork favorites, yes.

A note of caution here. We all know how reliable the Internet can be. To depend on SqueezeNetwork entirely every time you use a Squeezebox is likely to result in the occasional disappointment. Plus each Internet stream is subject to its own problems - SqueezeNetwork is merely passing it along.

chebyrator
2006-12-17, 20:53
thanks for your help, makes sence now :) too bad they dont have some internal memory so you could store the URLs in the player.

but thank you

aubuti
2006-12-17, 21:24
too bad they dont have some internal memory so you could store the URLs in the player.
But storing them on the favorites page of SqueezeNetwork is just as good, isn't it? Even if you had the URLs stored in the player, you still need to connect to the internet to hear the streams, so it's really no extra hassle to have the player connect to the internet to see the URLs, too.

Also, one caution you may already be aware of, but Mark didn't mention: a lot of internet radio stations are fond of changing the URLs for their streams periodically, so keeping your favorites list up to date will likely take some effort. And some stations use custom flash-based players that make it difficult (impossible?) to stream to another device like a SqueezeBox.

As Mark said, try it out before you buy by downloading slimserver and SoftSqueeze (a Java-based software emulator of the SB).

chebyrator
2006-12-17, 21:32
ok il try the software when I get home, thanks for your help.

What is the service of SlimNetwork like? Any issues?