PDA

View Full Version : Remote Problems

johnlk
2006-12-17, 15:02
I have a squeezebox 2, the remote that came with the unit has slowly been degrading to a non-functioning condition. I have exhausted attempts to fix, including checking forums, WKI, FAQs. In short the only thing I can think of now is that the remote itself needs to be replaced, but here is summary of what I have tried, symptoms noticed, and other factors which may or may not have any bearing on my problem.

Basic problem - remote functions on start up of computer, then stops after time. Music still streams to squeezebox fine, and songs can be controlled from server on computer. Unplug and restart squeezebox, take batteries out of remote for several minutes, retry w/fresh batteries endless times, start restart computer, remote works initially then stops. This has been a slow degradation over last three months, initially from infrequent problems, to now remote only works a short while on startup. As of today, no longer functions at all.

I still run version 5.4.1 because I found to be most stable with the way I use Itunes and m3u playlists, but this is another issue I won't bring up here.

System - Windows XP, firewall settings as indicated in documentation. Again, no problems streaming music to squeezebox, just with remote.

I have AVG and spybot for virus protection. I recently added Spysweeper, thought this was interfering, so uninstalled, but still have remote problems.

Really no other problems with slimware, rescans music library and playlist fine, set-up to run through itunes, everything seems ok…just the remote, at a loss how to fix.

Looking for help on this one, I have a feeling the remote is shot.

seanadams
2006-12-17, 15:28
Use a video camera to view the infrared LED - it should blink when you push buttons. This works best with a camcorder that has a "nightvision" feature (IR filter) but you can use anything, even a PC webcam.

johnlk
2006-12-17, 16:01
OK, tried with quicktime video on on a digital camera, which I believe works because I can see the blink of the TV remote but not the Slim remote eeven with fresh batteries. Guess the slim remote needs to be replaced. Thanks for quick response.

azinck3
2006-12-17, 19:08
I still run version 5.4.1 because I found to be most stable with the way I use Itunes and m3u playlists, but this is another issue I won't bring up here.

I could have sworn that the SB2 and above required v6 or better of Slimserver, does 5.4.1 really work, or am I remembering wrong?

johnlk
2006-12-17, 19:45
Purchased late 2004, I thought this was SB 2, perhaps you're right and its SB 1.

seanadams
2006-12-17, 20:12
OK - just email support@slimdevices.com and they will take care of you.

johnlk
2006-12-28, 21:40
wow...at risk of sounding like I'm sucking up......just wanted to say thanks to Slim Devices and their CEO for a very quick response, a new remote was in mail within a day of original post, I received and this solved the problem. Too easy to take this for granted, but fact is not all companies behave responsibly like this today.