PDA

View Full Version : SS 6.5.1 = new music folder order

gonk
2006-12-17, 14:22
With SlimServer 6.5.1 the Browse Music Folder order algorithm has been changed so that my system will not work... Intital Underscores in the folder names is now neglected.

---

I have the majority of my music sorted as:

Artist/Year Album/Track Title.flac

But for some music types, not accessed frequently, like compilations or special genres, such as Childrens music, Classical, Musicals and Jazz I have added an extra level in parallel of the Artist level:

_Genre/Artist/Year Album/Track Title.flac

As you see, to separate the Artist from the Genres, I have added a underscore as a first character, this way I will get all those folders in the top or end of the list when browsing music folders. Otherwise I would have needed one more folder level. This is working very good. I always use the Browse Music Folder when selecting music, I even assigned the Search remote button for this task - very handy!

Now for my problem:

After installing SS 6.5.1 (Earlier version was before 6.5, dont remember the exact version, probably 6.3.x) the folder order algorithm has been changed so that the underscores is neglected, placing my Jazz music in between of Iron Maiden and Jean-Michel Jarre, not the best place to search for Jazz...

I even tried to replace the Underscore with a Hyphen, but it did not make any change. Anyone that can help me to solve this? Suggestion for another intial character or any flag to set the way the order algorithm works?

Sam Lowry
2006-12-17, 17:14
With SlimServer 6.5.1 the Browse Music Folder order algorithm has been changed so that my system will not work... Intital Underscores in the folder names is now neglected.

---

I have the majority of my music sorted as:

Artist/Year Album/Track Title.flac

But for some music types, not accessed frequently, like compilations or special genres, such as Childrens music, Classical, Musicals and Jazz I have added an extra level in parallel of the Artist level:

_Genre/Artist/Year Album/Track Title.flac

As you see, to separate the Artist from the Genres, I have added a underscore as a first character, this way I will get all those folders in the top or end of the list when browsing music folders. Otherwise I would have needed one more folder level. This is working very good. I always use the Browse Music Folder when selecting music, I even assigned the Search remote button for this task - very handy!

Now for my problem:

After installing SS 6.5.1 (Earlier version was before 6.5, dont remember the exact version, probably 6.3.x) the folder order algorithm has been changed so that the underscores is neglected, placing my Jazz music in between of Iron Maiden and Jean-Michel Jarre, not the best place to search for Jazz...

I even tried to replace the Underscore with a Hyphen, but it did not make any change. Anyone that can help me to solve this? Suggestion for another intial character or any flag to set the way the order algorithm works?

I had the same complaint. No one had a solution. I was using ~ myself.
-SL

ceejay
2006-12-18, 01:29
You might want to have a look at the Custom Browse plugin. It has a number of customisable browse functions including, IIRC, a Music Folder Browse.

There is also a thread somewhere which explains how you can map the Browse button on your remote to bring up Custom Browse if thats all you want to use.

It may well be that by default it works the same as the normal BMF, but at least it will be easy to find and customise the code.

HTH
Ceejay

flipflip
2006-12-18, 02:53
The sort order changed with 6.5.0. I too had _Podcasts, _Hörspiele etc.. I changed it AA_Podcasts, AA_Hörspiele etc.