PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver Browse Albums

Scallywagfr78
2006-12-17, 09:07
How about customizing the Browse Album display on the left side of the Slimserver display on my PC? At present, the possibility to sort the Slimserver Browse Albums title tag display does not help. Example (theoretical) I have 20 symphonies by three composers executed by five different orchestras directed by ten different directors: Why do I need to insert/cram/repeat Composer + Album Title + Artists names + Album artist + Year (etc) in ONE tag (Album Title) in order to be able display it under Browse Albums?
I am surprised I get little echo from the Community ..... . I am not a developer: only a user with three boxes and a rather expanding classical music base.
If I am missing one of the many possibilities/functions of an otherwise great Slimserver , please help me!

ceejay
2006-12-17, 12:58
Probably because a lot of the development is done by individuals doing the things they are interested in ... if none of them is interested in classical music, not much happens. I've had some enhancement requests for classical music on the stack for a long time, and there is no sign of any attention to them, even though they've attracted a reasonable number of votes.

I don't recall one like yours, though - have a good search in bugzilla and if you can't find a match, submit your own.

Just one very small contribution to your problem - you don't have to have Composer in your all-in-one string if you have set "Artist" to be Composer (I think this is necessary and is likely to be for some time), as you can have the list show "<Album> by <Artist>". (Server Settings-formatting-show artist with albums).

HTH
Ceejay

peter
2006-12-17, 14:48
Scallywagfr78 wrote:
> How about customizing the Browse Album display on the left side of the
> Slimserver display on my PC? At present, the possibility to sort the
> Slimserver Browse Albums title tag display does not help. Example
> (theoretical) I have 20 symphonies by three composers executed by five
> different orchestras directed by ten different directors: Why do I need
> to insert/cram/repeat Composer + Album Title + Artists names + Album
> artist + Year (etc) in ONE tag (Album Title) in order to be able
> display it under Browse Albums?
> I am surprised I get little echo from the Community ..... . I am not a
> developer: only a user with three boxes and a rather expanding
> classical music base.
> If I am missing one of the many possibilities/functions of an otherwise
> great Slimserver , please help me!
>
I'm a tag-sceptic. I just love my Browse Music Folder option.
I wish I could delete the others from the menu. (perhaps it's in 6.5?)

Building trees manually gives you so much flexibility...

Regards,
Peter

Scallywagfr78
2006-12-18, 03:47
Thanks to Ceejay and Peter,
The suggestion to activate "Show Artist with Album", assuming I show the "Composer" under "Artist", shows the Artist after the Albumtitle and hence following the Albumtitle alphabetical while I would like to see Bach Mozart Mahler in front of the Albumtitle.

Using "Music Folder", great flexibility but redoing them for a 4digit number of albums. I pay you a trip to Paris (France) to give me a helping hand ......
Thanks again

peter
2006-12-18, 06:46
Scallywagfr78 wrote:
> Using "Music Folder", great flexibility but redoing them for a 4digit
> number of albums. I pay you a trip to Paris (France) to give me a
> helping hand ......
Well, I think I'd prefer Paris, Texas.
Paris, France, I could do on the diesel that's left in my tank. ;)

Whichever route you take, tags or directory, you're always going to have
to keep your collection organized in some way, especially if it's as big
as yours. Considerably less work than ripping the whole lot, I imagine.

Regards,
Peter