PDA

View Full Version : Need Help!!!

a.catalani
2006-12-16, 14:49
I whant to place an order for 3 slim with cable and one without.

I will not use the sistem with any stero equipment, I would like to by the most appropriate amplifier for the tree station with cable (for tree different room and one central amplifier) and another amplifier for another single room.

I would like to buy really a very good product, so please give me you advice.

THANKS

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-16, 16:35
First of all, why do you need a "central amplifier"? Each Squeezebox will be in a separate room. Why are you taking the Squeezebox output back to a central amplifier then back to the room where each Squeezebox is? This doesn't make sense and you're going to have to run a LOT of cable through the walls.

It would be better to have an amplifier in each room, and probably wouldn't cost that much more.

Also there's no single best amplifier out there. If there was, everyone would be buying it and there wouldn't be any choice.

Plus you don't say what speakers you want to use. Those will dictate what kind of amplifier you can use. There are hundreds of speakers and amplifiers available, of varying levels of quality, and going from a few hundred dollars to as much as your house.

So I guess the question to ask would be - what's your budget? What are the room sizes? (Large rooms need big speakers and powerful amplifiers, small rooms not so much).

For smaller rooms there are some nice self-powered speakers out there - search the forum for "speakers" and you'll find lots of recommendations. For larger rooms you may want to go with bigger floorstanding speakers and a large, separate amplifier.

If you're really intent on getting one amplifier for 3 Squeezeboxes, you'll need a 6-channel amplifier (3 X 2). Look at amplifiers designed for surround sound home theatre applications. There are lots of companies that make these: Anthem, Arcam, Rotel, Bryston, B&K, NAD, McIntosh, Aragon, Theta, Adcom, etc., etc., etc. There are so many you really need to define your needs and budget first.

Plus your ears may or may not like what someone else recommends! So it's best to go to a shop and find out for yourself by listening to some music you're familiar with. Make sure you listen to as many brands as you can - there are lots out there and they don't all sound the same.

a.catalani
2006-12-17, 01:22
Your suggestion is absolutely right, thanks I知 not considering anymore one amplifier for the tree rooms but one of each room or self-powered speakers.

My Idea is to place many speakers on my ceiling, for an homogeneous diffusion of the music in each room.

Your suggestion of self-powered speakers could be the right solution, but I知 ignorant and I would prefer if someone like you can give me the suggestions in which one to buy.

Referring the size of the rooms, I have tree different size:
14X5 meters
6X4 meters
4X4 meters

How many speakers shall I have to consider for each room?
In the case I decide to use self-powered speakers, can I use the digitals Output of the Slim Device? And I still can control the volume?
I live in Italy and our electric power is 220 V. Does I need to get a new power adaptor or the Slim device comes also with a different power adaptor?
For the big room (14X5) I think I will need many speakers, shall I consider for this room just one amplifier and have many non self-powered speakers?
In this case, do I have to turn on the amplifier or does this turn on by itself when one of the slim device start running?

Beside all the above, can you give me any additional information I shall consider in realizing my project?

Thanks in advance to all yours help.

Andrea

Greg Erskine
2006-12-17, 03:29
My Idea is to place many speakers on my ceiling, for an homogeneous diffusion of the music in each room.

Your suggestion of self-powered speakers could be the right solution, but I’m ignorant and I would prefer if someone like you can give me the suggestions in which one to buy.

In the case I decide to use self-powered speakers, can I use the digitals Output of the Slim Device? And I still can control the volume?

I live in Italy and our electric power is 220 V. Does I need to get a new power adaptor or the Slim device comes also with a different power adaptor?

For the big room (14X5) I think I will need many speakers, shall I consider for this room just one amplifier and have many non self-powered speakers?

In this case, do I have to turn on the amplifier or does this turn on by itself when one of the slim device start running?

Beside all the above, can you give me any additional information I shall consider in realizing my project?

Thanks in advance to all yours help.

Andrea

Having speakers in the roof is not usually considered a suitable solution for hifi, so you may need to look more industrial (PA) solutions rather than looking at hifi forums.

Powered speakers still need analog signal as far as I know. Powered speakers usually just means there is an amp is built into the speaker box. I'm sure there probably are exceptions.

The SB is a switchmode PSU and accepts a wide range of input voltages, including 220V.

I think you need to ask yourself the question, are you after hifi or just want music in every room because it sounds like you want a PA system.

regards

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-17, 08:11
Your suggestion is absolutely right, thanks I知 not considering anymore one amplifier for the tree rooms but one of each room or self-powered speakers.

Your suggestion of self-powered speakers could be the right solution, but I知 ignorant and I would prefer if someone like you can give me the suggestions in which one to buy.

Referring the size of the rooms, I have tree different size:
14X5 meters
6X4 meters
4X4 meters

As Greg mentions, it seems that you want a background music "PA" (Public Address)-style system than what the Squeezebox is - a networked music player like a CD player without the CDs.

You should really use each Squeezebox with two speakers only. If you choose the right speakers and amplification, the sound can fill the room, even a large one.

However putting multiple speakers in the ceiling makes for pretty poor sound and it negates the stereo effect. I can't help there as I have no experience in this area, nor do most people on this forum. There is some discussion about it at www.avsforum.com but the consensus there is that in-wall/in-ceiling "architectural" speakers are a pretty poor imitation of their regular counterparts and try desperately to achieve the same performance, usually falling short. The best solutions come with positionable tweeters though. But the fact remains that a wall or a ceiling is just not a good resonator cabinet.

In the case I decide to use self-powered speakers, can I use the digitals Output of the Slim Device?

Not many self-powered speakers have digital inputs and they don't make much sense anyway - unless you spend enormous amounts of money you won't get a better digital-to-analog converter (DAC) in self-powered speakers than you'd find in a Squeezebox.

And I still can control the volume?

You can control both the digital and the analog volume of the Squeezebox.

Slim Devices supplies the proper power adapter based on your shipping address.

You will need BIG speakers for this room (for those that don't know, 14 metres is 46 feet!) and for speakers of that size, getting unpowered speakers plus a big amp is probably cheaper than high-end powered speakers.

Again, you will get better sound quality by using two speakers only. Getting multiple speakers is a different pursuit altogether and not something many people here can help you with.

You can get self-powered speakers or amplifiers that have an "auto-on" feature, yes.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-17, 08:25

As I stated before, use the search feature at the top of this webpage and search for "powered speakers".

One thread it turns up is here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30324