PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini, iTunes and cover art

yooper
2006-12-16, 07:36
I'm running 6.5.0, and am missing about 50% of the 550+ albums cover art. All the album art shows in iTunes.

I do use the iTunes widget to retrieve a lot of the missing artwork from iTunes, and don't know if this may be why album art is not showing?

I do have all my lossless music on an external hard drive, but the iTunes music folder is in its default position, perhaps this is part of the problem?

I attempted a search and was surprised that I couldn't find an answer. Any ideas as to what may be happening?

Thanks,

Mark

andyg
2006-12-16, 07:47
(Moved to General as this isn't a SN question.)

We don't currently support reading cover art from iTunes 7's cover art downloader thing.

tomjtx
2006-12-16, 09:46
(Moved to General as this isn't a SN question.)

We don't currently support reading cover art from iTunes 7's cover art downloader thing.

When will you support cover art from itunes?

That's the only thing lacking for me with my TP.

andyg
2006-12-16, 09:59
iTunes makes it hard to do this, and I'm not sure anyone has yet reverse-engineered the mechanism by which iTunes links album art to an album.

yooper
2006-12-16, 13:40
So, there is no way to show artwork when using iTunes? Is there an option when using a mac to get artwork?

Another words, If I have a Mac and lossless music, cover art is not going to happen?

bishopdonmiguel
2006-12-17, 07:39
So, there is no way to show artwork when using iTunes? Is there an option when using a mac to get artwork?

Another words, If I have a Mac and lossless music, cover art is not going to happen?
The iTunes album art downloader stores the covers in your iTunes directory vs. the file itself. If you want to see the covers in slimserver, you need to either...

1. Store the art in the file. Get Info, Artwork tab, drag the artwork to the desktop, then exit the dialog. Select the files you want to store the artwork in and repeat the process except drag the artwork from the desktop to the files. You can "Clear Downloaded Artwork" once you are done. I'm not sure if lossess files support embedded artwork so you will have to experiment.

2. Drag the artwork from the files to the desktop as noted above. Rename and store these files in the coverart directory of slimserver. When slimserver opens your tracks, it will attempt to find the coverart. I'm not sure of the naming requirements for doing this, but I think there are some older threads which discuss this.

psk
2006-12-18, 12:21
>
> So, there is no way to show artwork when using iTunes? Is there an
> option when using a mac to get artwork?
> -

Coverscout can do this but it's 20$ (see http://www.equinux.com/us/
products/coverscout/index.html).

MelonMonkey
2006-12-18, 13:03
Coverscout gets images from Amazon. Poor selection and poor resolution. Plus poor/cumbersome interface.

Use iTunes and RateYourMusic.com for cover images.

Use a script to insert iTunes-downloaded covers into the tags as mentioned above. Lots of recent threads on this topic.

tomjtx
2006-12-19, 04:40
I just bought Cover Scout.
It automatically embedded all my cover art in my files. (all my music is stored in itunes)

Now I have most of my cover art sowing in Slimserver and the picture quality is good.
Thanks for the info on this, I highly recommend this app. if you are a computer illiterate like me. This is push one button yo do your whole collection(over 1,000 CD's
Cover Scout will search amazon and google for the CD art that itunes coudn'f find

yooper
2006-12-19, 13:17
Thanks a lot guys, I really do appreciate the feedback.

tomjtx
2006-12-19, 16:41
one more ting re. cover scout, if it can't find cover art on amazon or google you can take a foto of the CD and load it into cover scout and it will attach it to the appropriate file.

It's a good app for someone as computer illiterate and lazy as I am.

Jazz1
2007-02-17, 18:49
I just bought and used Coverscout in order to see cover art via Slimserver on my Safari Browser. Though it worked in restoring my ability to view cover art of my music selection I've found a unwanted result. When I look at "New Music" Slimserver is now designating some of my old music as new. From what I can tell this so called new music is simply old music that I have had Coverscout find album art for. I'm still rescanning my library, and I hope I see some kind of recovery of what might be truly new music when I query Slimserver via my browser.

I suppose it is not the end of the world, but I guess I didn't know Coverscout was somehow going to re-calculate my library based on the addition of cover art to older music.

Other than that I'm happy with Coverscout.

I wish Apple would let iTunes work better with Slimserver. How about it Mr. Jobs, since you hate DRM now why not open up Fairplay so Slimserver can server up my iTunes library of about 2,000 songs. Until then I'll be buying CD using Amazon.com Prime/used CD's.

Seems to me the end user who is legally buying music is the one who is being penalized. I know I'll whine all the way to the Apple/Cingular store for the next iPod or iPhone ;)

I just bought Cover Scout.
It automatically embedded all my cover art in my files. (all my music is stored in itunes)

Now I have most of my cover art sowing in Slimserver and the picture quality is good.
Thanks for the info on this, I highly recommend this app. if you are a computer illiterate like me. This is push one button yo do your whole collection(over 1,000 CD's
Cover Scout will search amazon and google for the CD art that itunes coudn'f find

Anne
2007-02-28, 14:52
I made a comment on album covers in athread but cant find it again, so I post a new question :
I am changing the cover art, use albumart.org to find a copy into ITunes albums, deleting the old picture. Its progressing, but I ran into a strange thing. the covers of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Best of Boney M and Enya A day Without Rain and Shephard Moons just wont show in SS, I have changed and reloaded a number of times. Any logic in this ?

yooper
2007-02-28, 15:39
I made a comment on album covers in athread but cant find it again, so I post a new question :
I am changing the cover art, use albumart.org to find a copy into ITunes albums, deleting the old picture. Its progressing, but I ran into a strange thing. the covers of Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Best of Boney M and Enya A day Without Rain and Shephard Moons just wont show in SS, I have changed and reloaded a number of times. Any logic in this ?

If the album is showing but without the cover, follow the instructions below, but first only try deleting the cache folder.

If that doesn't work, do both.

* Stop Slimserver
(go to System Prefs, click "Stop Server")

* Remove the slimserver.pref file
(default location = Home > Library > SlimDevices)

* Remove the Slimserver Cache folder
(default location = Home > Library > Caches > SlimServer)

* Restart Slimserver

Next...

* In Slimserver under Server Settings, make sure your music folder and playlist folder are set correctly and click "Change"

(if you're using iTunes, leave the music folder blank, and set the iTunes setting to "Use iTunes" and click "Change")

* Scroll down to Rescan Music Library, set it to "Clear library and rescan everything" and click "Rescan"

Lastly...

Have a look at your music again. Any change?

Anne
2007-03-01, 10:50
Not really sure what you want me to do, cant find the items under what you mention. I find under Program Files "SS" ,and in there I find the pref file, deleted that, but couldnt find the other one. Found something similar in the SQL folder, deleted that one, but SS wont start again. Its been trying 10 minuttes now and cannot do anything about it now, right click do not work, so I will try restart my computer. Otherwise I guess I have to uninstall SS and install again.....

Anne
2007-03-01, 11:13
Under Server I find the SlimServer.pref file
Under Library I find Audio, Cache, MP3, Net, Ogg. In the Cache folder I then find "Filebackend", thats is. I dont find any SlimServer file under Cache.

yooper
2007-03-01, 12:40
Are you looking in the correct library? You go into your home library, not the mounted disc library.

Home > Library > Caches > SlimServer

If you remember from where you deleted the files, take them out of your trash and put them back.

Worse case, if you do have to reinstall, you have to set up your preferences again, so your out 10 minutes. But, your covers will show.

Anne
2007-03-01, 13:26
Are you looking in the correct library? You go into your home library, not the mounted disc library.

Home > Library > Caches > SlimServer

If you remember from where you deleted the files, take them out of your trash and put them back.

Worse case, if you do have to reinstall, you have to set up your preferences again, so your out 10 minutes. But, your covers will show.

Use My Computer>Harddrive>Programfiles>Slimserver etc....
The ones I deleted I restored, its working fine now again.

yooper
2007-03-01, 13:35
I believe I see what happened.

I assumed you were using a Mac since the title of the thread is for Mac.

Since you mentioned "My Computer", you must be using Windows?

Sorry for the confusion.

Are your problem cover art albums showing now as well?

Anne
2007-03-01, 13:48
Ah, my fault, sorry, didnt even read the thread headline....
yes, I use Windows XP....yes, same thing....weird.

Anne
2007-03-02, 17:07
Really strange. Normally, when the album is up in ITunes, if one ticks all songs, right click, then ITunes ask if you want to edit all the songs. click yes and a frame comes up with info , and a little window for the picture. When you glue a picture in here and click ok ITunes will transfer this picture to each track and it takes a little while for it to do so.
This it just wont do with Brothers In Arms and A Day Without Rain and I just dont get it why not.
Its possible to put the album picture in the normal way, in the left hand corner in the library when album is up, and the picture shows perfectly in ITunes, but not in SS.