PDA

View Full Version : A SB1 today - any problem or issue?

Mark0
2006-12-15, 15:47
I would probably have the possibility of obtaining an old 1st gen. Squeezebox in perfect condition from a friend of a friend.

Are there any problem using an older version of the SB like that with the current SlimServer? Are some critical features missing?
I have searched and looked at various thread, but since I lack any kind of experience with SlimDevices product I don't wont to overlook some important detail.

I'm planning to use the SB1 to feed an external DAC, and access my network via wireless; I plan to install SS on a Synology CS406e NAS. I read about some occasional dropouts problems with wireless, but I'm not sure about how serious this issue is, provided that in the range I plan to use it I can use a cheap PDA with not-first-class Wi-Fi functionality with no problems.

Also, it's possible with the SB1 to stream internet radio without having to run any kind of server?

Also, how much you think would be a fair price for such a device, in perfect conditions?

Many thanks for any info or tips,
Bye!

azinck3
2006-12-15, 15:58
I would probably have the possibility of obtaining an old 1st gen. Squeezebox in perfect condition from a friend of a friend.

Are there any problem using an older version of the SB like that with the current SlimServer? Are some critical features missing?
I have searched and looked at various thread, but since I lack any kind of experience with SlimDevices product I don't wont to overlook some important detail.

I'm planning to use the SB1 to feed an external DAC, and access my network via wireless; I plan to install SS on a Synology CS406e NAS. I read about some occasional dropouts problems with wireless, but I'm not sure about how serious this issue is, provided that in the range I plan to use it I can use a cheap PDA with not-first-class Wi-Fi functionality with no problems.

Also, it's possible with the SB1 to stream internet radio without having to run any kind of server?

Also, how much you think would be a fair price for such a device, in perfect conditions?

Many thanks for any info or tips,
Bye!

I use SB1's on a daily basis. If you get the character-based display it looks much older than the SB2/3, but if you get the SB1G then the quality is pretty good. (I do, however, find the old character-based display a bit more readable with my glasses off, probably because the letters are thinner and don't "bleed" into one another in the blurriness of my bad eyes).

I don't mind my SB1's at all, but much will depend on your usage patterns. You CANNOT do anything (not even internet radio) on an SB1 without running a server. They don't support squeezenetwork. You may have dropout problems though mine work quite well. The only real drawback for me is their inability to stream from Rhapsody. Other than that, my usage patterns include internet radio, alienbbc, mp3's and flac and I'm perfectly satisfied. I keep one SB2 in the house for rhapsody on my main system.

A fair price for a wireless SB1G is <$100

pfarrell
2006-12-15, 16:09
Mark0 wrote:
> Are there any problem using an older version of the SB like that with
> the current SlimServer? Are some critical features missing?

All of my SqueezeBoxen are SB1, some SB1, some SB1/g

The big missing features of SB1s are native flac decoding
and small buffer.

If you only play MP3 files, it makes no difference.
If you use wired connections, it makes no difference.

But if you stream FLAC or PCM files wirelessly, the small
buffer can cause dropouts and other problems.

For ages I used a SB1 wired into my Benchmark DAC-1, and
it worked perfectly.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-15, 16:14
I read about some occasional dropouts problems with wireless, but I'm not sure about how serious this issue is, provided that in the range I plan to use it I can use a cheap PDA with not-first-class Wi-Fi functionality with no problems.

Your PDA has a very different usage pattern: intermittent, low-bandwidth demand. The SB1 will be constant, intermediate-to-high-bandwidth demand. So this isn't an indication that it will work well - nor is it an indication it won't either.

Keep in mind it's also 802.11b, which means if you have an 802.11g router, it will slow the whole network down (although not to 802.11b speeds as popular knowledge would have you believe.)

Plus it's WEP only, so your wireless security will be somewhat compromised.

Mark0
2006-12-15, 17:23
Thanks all for the clarifications!

Bye!

aubuti
2006-12-16, 06:58

I read the other responses too quickly to be 100% sure, but it looks like no one else covered this one. The SB1 does *not* support SqueezeNetwork, so you will need to have your slimserver running to receive internet radio.