PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying



NauticusLX
2006-12-14, 18:20
Here's a simple question: is the SqueezeBox read to use out of the box? Assuming I already have a wireless network and SlimServer installed, do I have to do any "tinkering" before I hear music coming out of my speakers?

pfarrell
2006-12-14, 18:29
NauticusLX wrote:
> Here's a simple question: is the SqueezeBox read to use out of the box?
> Assuming I already have a wireless network and SlimServer installed, do
> I have to do any "tinkering" before I hear music coming out of my
> speakers?

If you have the SlimServer delivering music, to either WinAmp or
Softsqueeze, you're done. Buy it, plug it in, and enjoy.

Of course, you need some music, MP3, Flac, ogg, etc.

If you don't have encryption on your WiFi access point,
it will find it all and just work. If you have encryption, which
you should, then you have to enter the key.


--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

brucegrr
2006-12-15, 11:44
In my limited experience.......

Pretty much 100% out of the box IF you are using a wired connection. As long as your network settings are correct, router ports open, firewall configured correctly......it just plain works.

I have found the wireless experience to be less than 100% Too many variables..........your mileage will vary. People should remember wireless is not a "perfect" answer. There are a lot of different things that can kill a wireless signal. I had a wireless network in one home.........and every day a particular car drove by our house........on his way to work..........killed the signal. Every time. Can't explain it. It just happened.

Bruce

Paul_B
2006-12-15, 12:29
I keep thinking my system is wired but atcually it isn't but still 100% reliable. The reason I think is because I use a dedicated wireless bridge made my the same manufatcurer as my access point.

So my Slimserver is connected to the bridge and the SB3 is connected to a port on the hub connected to the AP. I don't have drop outs

jonheal
2006-12-15, 13:05
I've also occasionally used my wired SB3 in wireless fashion hooking it up to a Linksys WAP45G access point. My router is a D-Link 624, I think. I had virtually no problems, other than those I would have expected at the distances I was broadcasting.

I don't want to say external wireless solutions are more reliable than what is built into the SB3, but ...

Mitch Harding
2006-12-15, 13:44
I have a Microsoft 11b wireless router (2nd floor) and a wireless SB3 (1st
floor) which averages signal strength 66%-71%. I stream FLAC (no
transcoding) and mp3 and only very rarely have had any problems. Just lucky
I guess! :)

On 12/15/06, Paul_B <Paul_B.2ivgjz1166211001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
>
> I keep thinking my system is wired but atcually it isn't but still 100%
> reliable. The reason I think is because I use a dedicated wireless
> bridge made my the same manufatcurer as my access point.
>
> So my Slimserver is connected to the bridge and the SB3 is connected to
> a port on the hub connected to the AP. I don't have drop outs
>
>
> --
> Paul_B
>
> Paul
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Slimserver 6.5.1 on EPIA VIA EN15000 Mini-ITX running Windows 2003 R2.
>
> Remote storage QNAP(1.2.1)~(160GB Maxtor)
> SB3 (x1)
> RIP - dBpowerAMP R12 (Alpha) to FLAC
> ID3 Tags - MP3Tag v2.36
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Paul_B's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=3039
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30626
>
>

peter
2006-12-15, 14:17
brucegrr wrote:
> I have found the wireless experience to be less than 100% Too many
> variables..........your mileage will vary. People should remember
> wireless is not a "perfect" answer. There are a lot of different things
> that can kill a wireless signal. I had a wireless network in one
> home.........and every a particular car drove by our house........on
> his way to work..........killed the signal. Every time. Can't explain
> it. It just happened.
>

Never had a problem with it until earlier this week. My Living room SB3
suddenly started hiccupping. My wirelessly connected laptop (does not
run slimserver) slowed down at the same time and the windows driver told
me it was connected at 2Mbps. I power cycled my WAP and all was well
when it came back up.

Really, that seemed to be a rare problem with the (Asus) access point.
I've been running 3 SB3's of this WAP for months on two different floors
without problems. The fourth one is on the 3rd floor wich is just a
little to far for a reliable connection and it's right next to a
ethernet socket, so I didn't even try.

No problems at all. The kitchen SB3 keeps working perfectly even when
the microwave is used.

Regards,
Peter

jonheal
2006-12-15, 15:05
brucegrr wrote:
> I have found the wireless experience to be less than 100% Too many
> variables..........your mileage will vary. People should remember
> wireless is not a "perfect" answer. There are a lot of different things
> that can kill a wireless signal. I had a wireless network in one
> home.........and every a particular car drove by our house........on
> his way to work..........killed the signal. Every time. Can't explain
> it. It just happened.
>

Never had a problem with it until earlier this week. My Living room SB3
suddenly started hiccupping. My wirelessly connected laptop (does not
run slimserver) slowed down at the same time and the windows driver told
me it was connected at 2Mbps. I power cycled my WAP and all was well
when it came back up.

Really, that seemed to be a rare problem with the (Asus) access point.
I've been running 3 SB3's of this WAP for months on two different floors
without problems. The fourth one is on the 3rd floor wich is just a
little to far for a reliable connection and it's right next to a
ethernet socket, so I didn't even try.

No problems at all. The kitchen SB3 keeps working perfectly even when
the microwave is used.

Regards,
Peter

Maybe you're suffering from Christmas Ornament Interference, too.

In particular, aluminized tinsel seems to be a problem. Hey, if fighter jets shoot something similar out their backsides to evade radar-controlled air-to-air missles, it's gotta be a good signal reflector!