PDA

View Full Version : 770 skin how easy to tweak

gandt
2006-12-14, 11:56
I am using the nokia 770 skin on my new pepper pad 3 and I am just a few pixels short of nirvana. Basically it works well but doesn' quite fit the screen - its a few pixels too deep {say the depth of the music progress bar) Is there any way a lay person can perform a marginal mod to the skin without coding skills?

bklaas
2006-12-14, 12:06
I am using the nokia 770 skin on my new pepper pad 3 and I am just a few pixels short of nirvana. Basically it works well but doesn' quite fit the screen - its a few pixels too deep {say the depth of the music progress bar) Is there any way a lay person can perform a marginal mod to the skin without coding skills?

Aw, man. I've been waiting for the ridiculous envy I was going to feel when someone finally posted that they are accessing slimserver via a PepperPad 3. And yep, it's there. You did it. I'm envious.

There is a super easy answer to your question, and no mod needed:
use the Touch skin. Touch inherits everything except CSS from Nokia770, and will stretch to fit your screen.

let me know how it goes. Man I want wanna them PepperPads...
#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 12:15
Touch still gives me a slight scroll. Its because Peppers browser retains the url box and stuff even in "full screen" mode.

just realised was not being clear the skin is TOO DEEP by a few pixels not too short

grahamt

bklaas
2006-12-14, 12:30
Touch still gives me a slight scroll. Its because Peppers browser retains the url box and stuff even in "full screen" mode.

just realised was not being clear the skin is TOO DEEP by a few pixels not too short

grahamt

naw, you were being clear. I just couldn't see through the gadget envy...

yeah, I suppose this needs some tweaks, and I can help you through it. Might as well hold the conversation on this thread since the info presented might be of use to a wider audience.

Why don't you start by telling me what elements are not fitting. Is it just the progress bar, or does it go further than that?

Let's stick with Touch, as I still think the less-restrictive CSS from Touch will work better.

#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 12:49
might be worth a couple of dozen words...

gandt
2006-12-14, 13:04
Im thinking some whote space around the picture could be removed maybe?

bklaas
2006-12-14, 13:16
I ran into this phenomena frequently with the Nokia 770 as well. I don't think removing whitespace is the way to go, but rather tweaking how widths are defined in the CSS.

I'll do some experimenting and get back to you in an hour or two.

#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 13:22
I really appreciate it.

bklaas
2006-12-14, 13:23
did I say an hour or two? How about a minute or two...

Edit the file in your slimserver directory called HTML/Touch/slimserver.css

change this width in the pagecontainer section from 100% to something less than 100. I'd recommend 98% to start with, and keep ramping it down until things render as you'd hope. FWIW, I tried "auto", and that's not a good option.

change this:
div#pagecontainer {
top: 80; height: 85%; overflow-y: auto; width: 100%; position: absolute; z-index: 2;
}

to this:
div#pagecontainer {
top: 80; height: 85%; overflow-y: auto; width: 98%; position: absolute; z-index: 2;
}

let me know how this works. I *may* check that change in, provided I confirm it doesn't mess with anything else.

#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 13:44
it looks a little different

div#pagecontainer {
position: absolute;
top: 80;
height: 364px;
width: 96%;
overflow: visible;
}

bklaas
2006-12-14, 13:53
We must be either using different versions of slimserver (I'm on a 6.5.1 via subversion checkout), or you are tweaking Nokia770 instead of Touch. Either way, adjusting the width for the pagecontainer div element should do what you need. Is it working okay now?

#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 13:59
a version of 6.5.1 from a couple of weeks.Anyway Ive cut and pasted your code and no change Im afraid FWIW the pepper browser is basically Firefox about 1.5 ish

bklaas
2006-12-14, 14:10
Ah, I see now. Page is too long, not too wide. My mistake.

Try changing the height: attribute in the same pagecontainer div.

If it's set to 85%, try 80%. You may need to iterate down until you find a height that forces the page to render correctly on your PepperPad.

Let me know how that works.

#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 14:22
below about 83% I get another set of scroll bars - so the "scroll" stays the same just the central window "pulls away" from the base (with the stuff about songs, artists server settings etc)

bklaas
2006-12-14, 14:38
It's my belief that you should be able to get this working by tweaking height and width params until the magic combo is achieved. CSS can be a fickle mistress.

It could be, however, that PepperPad's firefox is getting confused about how wide its screen is in fullscreen (that is, it's not taking into account the topbar that won't go away (are you sure you can't get hide that?).

I'm not sure how much more help I can be without having a PepperPad sitting in front of me to debug this.

#!/ben

gandt
2006-12-14, 14:43
thanks for your help. Ill let you know if I find a magic formula! by the way if the challenge interests you it seems to be possible to download a version of the pepper desktop to a windows machine from www.pepper.com maybe it correctly emulates the browser.

graham

gandt
2006-12-14, 15:32
This:

div#pagecontainer {
top: 70; height: 83%; overflow-y: auto; width: 100%; position: absolute; z-index: 2;
}

uses up some of the top white apace above the picture and gets all the buttons in the picture. It'll do for now I guess.