How to rename "squeezebox.version" in "firmware" on synology ds-106e?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • analographi
    • Dec 2006

How to rename "squeezebox.version" in "firmware" on synology ds-106e?

Hi

I'm trying to get squeezebox along with soundbridge running on slimerserver on diskstation 106e.

Squeezebox and slimserver 6.5 are up and running.

Soundbridge wants to connect to slimserver, then wants to do a software update, crashes the slimserver and hangs.

I read somwhere els of this problem and the solution might be to delete or rename the file "squeezebox.version" in the directory firmware on the diskstation, to prevent slimserver from trying to update the software on the soundbridge which emulates being a squeezebox.

I can find the directory through netwok (i gave write permission in the synology user interface), I can find the file, but if I want to change the filename delete it in windows explorer, it says the file is protected or in use. (slimserver shut down, of course).

I can't access anything in my network via telnet. Even though I can login on the soundbridge, but not on the diskstation, as soon as the cursor is blinking I'm not able to enter any letters.

How can I delete or rename this file?

or any other suggestions?

Thank you
  • flipflip
    • Apr 2006

Did you try via \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx\SlimServer? If so be sure to connect as user admin. Only admin will have write permissions, independent from what you set in the admin interface. Only write permissions for the user admin will have an effect. "world writeable" or so won't work on this share.

Telnet has to be enabled first.

Both is covered in the documentation of SSODS (README.ssods).

flip

Comment

• analographi
      • Dec 2006

Ok, I managed to rename the file via ftp, after enabling ftp for the diskstation.

Now slimserver doesn't try to update the software of the soundbridge.

But it crashes anyway...

Just saw, that ds 106-e is not recommended for 6.5...

maybe this is also a reason.

Why isn't it recommended?

Is there a way to keep the database when downgrading?

I have a 70MB database from 100GB mp3s... it was building it for about 20 hours... wouldn't like to wait again.

Comment

• flipflip
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by analographi
        Ok, I managed to rename the file via ftp, after enabling ftp for the diskstation.
        Ah, right, FTP is good alternative as well. I have to note this in the documentation.

Just saw, that ds 106-e is not recommended for 6.5...
        maybe this is also a reason.
        Why isn't it recommended?
        I don't think so. SS is just very slow in some parts (web interface, scanning) on this device. But the functionality is not different than on other DS.

Is there a way to keep the database when downgrading?
        No, because SS 6.3.x and before use a totally different database (SQLite).

flip

Comment

• analographi
          • Dec 2006

Anyway

I went back to r8 and slimserver 6.3.1

Database is gone...

I had to rename the files mentioned above to .bak, to prevent from trying to update...

Now I don't crash the slimserver anymore, can even browse the archive with the soundbridge, but it doesn't play anything...

dammed!

BTW, is it normal, that the volume from the squeezebox is so unresponsive?

Comment

• bpa
            • Oct 2005

Slimserver crash with soundbridge is due to a bug in 6.5.0 - I believe 6.5.1 fixes it.

Firmware update of soundbridge - is a fake to appease slimserver. When asked, use soundbridge to manually (not automatically) choose version 40.

Comment

• flipflip
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by analographi
              BTW, is it normal, that the volume from the squeezebox is so unresponsive?
              With 6.3.1 and a DS-106e: yes.
              It's better with 6.5.x and/or a DS-106.

Comment

• analographi
                • Dec 2006

Hi,

Ok, thats it...

Anybody wants to buy a three months old ds-106e located in switzerland?

I go for a 106x if I can get one.

This unresponsiveness is just unbearable.. terrible...

I didn't get the soundbridge to run with slimserver so far.. also not with "version 40"...

Hopefully I can run twonkey and slimserver simultaniously on the ds-106x with acceptable performance and responsiveness.

Should I use 6.5, or better 6.3.1? 6.5 is only + + recommended.. 6.3.1 + + +.. but responsive ness is better with 6.5 right?

What do you use.

BTW. Philippe. Thank you very much for your work. It's absolutly, great, impressive and I have the highest respect for it.
                Thank you!!

Comment

• bpa
                  • Oct 2005

I believe the unresponsiveness is a soundbridge emulation problem with 6.5.x with the soundbridge 2.5.174 and later firmware - I've stopped using mine and stuck to the Squeezebox.

Comment

• analographi
                    • Dec 2006

The unresponsiveness is with the SQUEEZEBOX!

The response of the soundbridge is ok, but I have no sound so far..

Would love to stick to the squeezebox, but I'm about to get like two more additional mediaplayers.. and there the price is quite a problem...

Especially no that i have to go for the ds-106X, since the performance of the 106e is so bad... imagine that with several players... DON'T buy ds-106e if you want to stream with slimserver...

Comment

• bpa
                      • Oct 2005

FYI - there is a mode which the soundbridge can get into where response to remote volume control take 3-5 secs to respond even when slimserver is on a proper full PC !. I spent awhile on my own system and with another user on Roku forums trying to isolate the cause.

Regarding NAS - I found 128Mbyte Kuro box to be usable and this is v. similar in spec to DS106x.

Comment

• analographi
                        • Dec 2006

Which version of slimserver did you use with the soundbridge?

Have you ever had the problem, that everything works fine, except, that it just doesn't start playing?

Comment

• bpa
                          • Oct 2005

There are a number of possibilities. Besdies version problems, the main one is as follows:

Those symptoms happen all the time with standard slimserver and AlienBBC so I had to patch slimserver for AlienBBC for soundbridge.

When the soundbridge gets underrun or no data within a 6 secs it stops playing but accepts all data from slimserver.

I've seen this happen in a few other instances typically poor wireless signal and use of WAV to soundbridge.

To checkfor this - enable debugging d_source and open the log window. Start playing a track. If you see a message with "underrun" then that is the problem.

Comment

Working...