PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection issue



street_samurai
2006-12-12, 18:47
Hi,

I have two SB2s. Recently one of them stopped connecting wirelessly. I hadn't changed any settings, it just stopped. I tried swapping the two boxes and the other one works fine in the same location. Connecting through ethernet works fine. I tried downgrading the firmware to 6.2.2 and the wireless still didn't connect. Re-flashing to 6.3.1, again nothing. Even completely turning off router security didn't help.

Sounds to me like I have a wireless hardware issue...?

Any other opinions?

Thanks in advance,

ss.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-12, 18:54
It does sound like a hardware issue - contact support.

If it's out of warranty, you may want to get in there and make sure the wireless card is properly seated in its mini-PCI slot.

Other thoughts:

- does the unit see any wireless networks at all?

- if you connect it wired, does the MAC address report as what's printed on the bottom of the unit?

street_samurai
2006-12-13, 13:09
Hey Mark,

Two very good questions:

- Yes it does see wireless networks and in fact it sees mine... but can't connect.

- In fact I did notice that the Mac address seemed wrong (but I didn't check against the one on the bottom of the unit), it was something like FF:FF:FF:FF:01:FF. Can't check this right now but I'll have a look.

I'll check on my warranty when I get home.

Thanks for your help!

ss.

snarlydwarf
2006-12-13, 14:06
Ah if your Mac address is corrupted that is probably the problem. It is easy to fix, so you can save a phone call and not have to go musicless...

Scroll right under "Current Settings" and you can change it to match the one on the bottom of the box.

One bug that corrupted the MAC has been fixed, but it seems that another is hiding out there.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-13, 15:13
- In fact I did notice that the Mac address seemed wrong (but I didn't check against the one on the bottom of the unit), it was something like FF:FF:FF:FF:01:FF. Can't check this right now but I'll have a look.

Yeah, that's the lost MAC address bug. Once it does this, it doesn't seem to be able to connect even if you don't have MAC address filtering enabled.

Changing it back apparently works well.

street_samurai
2006-12-13, 16:26
You guys are the bee's knees!

Had no idea I could manually update the MAC address.

This fixed the problem!

Weird that only one of my two SBs would suffer from this problem...

Thanks -very- much!

ss.

peter
2006-12-16, 14:23
street_samurai wrote:
> You guys are the bee's knees!
>
> Had no idea I could manually update the MAC address.
>

Yeah, great. If it hadn't been configurable the bug probably wouldn't
have existed in the first place. Pretty useless feature IMHO.

> This fixed the problem!
>
> Weird that only one of my two SBs would suffer from this problem...
>

None of mine ever has, knock on wood ;)

Regards,
Peter