PDA

View Full Version : Has the cause of this ever been identified?

jdvmi
2006-12-12, 08:35
This is sooooo annoying and I've never been able to figure out what is causing this issue. Look at the attached images and you will notice that for one album it gets listed twice even though the tags are exactly the same. All the other players I have display this as one album, for example in MusicIP it does not show up twice. Anyone know why this happens, about 200 different albums in my collection are affected by this.

snarlydwarf
2006-12-12, 08:40
You mention MusicIP.... so is the path to the your library the same as it is in MusicIP?

ceejay
2006-12-12, 08:42
Several possible causes for this, some of which are discussed in http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=27746

Possible fixes include:
- upgrading to 6.5.1 nightly
- fixing duplicate ID3 tags
- fixing duplicate playlist pointers

Search for "duplicate album" and you will find several threads.

Ceejay

jdvmi
2006-12-12, 08:57
snarlydwarf,
This happens whether or not I use MusicIP to manage my library. I've tried both ways, with and without MusicIP.

ceejay,
I've looked at the files numerous times in different tag editors and they do not have duplicate ID3 Tags. This would explain why everything else can display the library correctly. There are also no duplicate playlist pointers, I have my playlists saved in a different folder from that which my music is in. I guess the only option is to upgrade to 6.5.1 but I hate upgrading to something still in Beta. So I take it this is a problem and it was fixed in 6.5.1?

snarlydwarf
2006-12-12, 09:18
Do playlists refer to the files in the same path?

Ie, on my system there are multiple ways to see the library:

/home/bem/music (which is where it really is)
/home/music (a symlink, ie, "shortcut" in windows)

Slimserver only knows about the /home/music entry point, and may very well see two files if a playlist refers to something as /home/bem/music/something

JJZolx
2006-12-12, 10:04
I guess the only option is to upgrade to 6.5.1 but I hate upgrading to something still in Beta. So I take it this is a problem and it was fixed in 6.5.1?

Not necessarily. That's the stock reply to anyone having a problem... Try the latest nightlies, cross your fingers, and maybe the problem will go away.

But there _are_ many fixes in 6.5.1, particularly to library scanning problems. And there are bugs that remain in 6.5.1, including some library scanning problems.

ceejay
2006-12-12, 10:37
Not necessarily. That's the stock reply to anyone having a problem... Try the latest nightlies, cross your fingers, and maybe the problem will go away.

Well, a little more positive than that, I hope. No-one can guarantee that OP's problem is fixed by 6.5.1, not least because there are several possible causes for the reported symptom.

But there have been bug fixes which have sorted out similar problems, so if this is troubling someone they'd be pretty silly not to try it.

Also, if you think you are looking at a bug and would like to report it, it is absolutely necessary to test your bug on the latest nightly as that is the current base on which bug fixes are being made...

Ceejay

Siduhe
2006-12-12, 11:57
More a question than an answer, but if the OP had accidentially set DISCNUMBER tags for some of the songs but not others - would that give the behaviour he is seeing ?

I think (away from my slimserver at the moment) that DISCNUMBER adds (Disc 1) / (Disc 2) at the end of any album - which would rule that out ?

snarlydwarf
2006-12-12, 12:26
Hrrm.. setting Discnumber inconsistently could do that. It doesn't change the album title at all (the "(disc 1)" and such that I have are from MusicBrainz, sometimes I leave them, sometimes not... depends on the album).

Setting some to 1 or 2, and leaving others unset could do that, I think.

morberg
2006-12-12, 13:04
I had some indexing problems with 6.5.0 that went away with 6.5.1. I get the impression from some of the comments here on the forum that the 6.5.1 nightlies are as stable (if not more) than 6.5.0.

oreillymj
2006-12-12, 13:14
I believe I logged a bug on this behaviour. If you have an album by an artist split oer 2 directroies it will create 2 database entries since 6.5.

Also if you scan part of an album, add more tracks then re-scan "New and Changed" then new tracks get added to another album entry.

Please add your details to this bug

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4380