PDA

View Full Version : Got PC warning: 100% CPU usage w/Slim running!

sc53
2006-12-11, 18:17
What gives? I've been using Slimserver for about 2 weeks no problem. Then last night my PC was super slow and freezing up on email etc. I noticed a green box on my little icon bar across the bottom of the monitor that warned of 100% PC usage. Once I closed Slim PC returned to normal. Can Slim really use up all those resources? I was not even listening to my SB3.

Ross L
2006-12-11, 18:49
Did you make any change to your music library, maybe add files to that directory? Did you make a new playlist by chance?

Chances are SlimServer was scanning your music and hung up on something in that directory.

sc53
2006-12-12, 12:42
Thanks I did add lots of new music to my library recently but thought that the rescanning had been completed a couple of days ago.

Ross L
2006-12-12, 13:47
Has it improved?

AllanB
2006-12-13, 01:57
Just a thought, I recently installed Internet Explorer V7 with add ons, installed OK, but when I tried to open IE I got the message 100%CPU usage. I uninstalled and reverted back to V6 and all OK. The point is that I tried to open slimserver and because it uses IE it kept hanging. Have you installed IE7?

Ramage
2006-12-13, 02:18
Just a thought, I recently installed Internet Explorer V7 with add ons, installed OK, but when I tried to open IE I got the message 100%CPU usage. I uninstalled and reverted back to V6 and all OK. The point is that I tried to open slimserver and because it uses IE it kept hanging. Have you installed IE7?

I could not get IE7 to run - it always crashed on launch. Who needs it - use Firefox.

adamslim
2006-12-13, 07:18
Who needs it - use Firefox.

Indeed, but note that memory leaks can happen with Firefox (especially with add-ins). I used ForecastFox and found that, when SS was on for a few hours, it got to using over half a gig of memory. That slowed things down a bit...

Ramage
2006-12-13, 08:29
Indeed, but note that memory leaks can happen with Firefox (especially with add-ins). I used ForecastFox and found that, when SS was on for a few hours, it got to using over half a gig of memory. That slowed things down a bit...

I've seen comments about memory leak with Firefox, but not experienced it on my PC, and I have it running most of the time albeit without too many add-ins, typically using 80-90Meg.

sc53
2006-12-13, 08:48
I do use Firefox (recently updated to Firefox 2) but did not add in the Forecast plug in. I closed down everything and rebooted the computer and haven't had the problem again, but I haven't listened much to music this week yet. I'm not sure which version of IE I have, but I don't open IE unless Firefox doesn't work, which is rare. I'm thinking my problem was caused by a rescan of my library and getting hung up on a file, as an earlier poster suggested.