PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver 6.5.0 will not start - Help

Inniswhe
2006-12-10, 20:26
Background:
I posted on another thread a few days ago that I was having a hard time getting slimserver running but after a few reinstalls it seemed to work again or at least I thought it was.
The browser interface was very slow , crashing often when working with playlists, etc. I noticed my audio driver program Soundmax was indicating an error so I reinstalled it and that stopped slimserver altogether.

I am not computer literate so this has been so frustrating. The especially annoying part is the fact that the program did work for a week or so , albeit it did crash easily when using the browser interface (is that normal?). I have been trying to test softsqueeze prior to ordering a squeezebox but until I get the slimserver running properly I am on hold.

If anyone can help I really would appreciate it. I am not computer literate but am willing to follow any instructions anyone can give just please keep in mind I do not have any network background so I apologize if my questions seem very basic.

PC: Intel Core Duo 6400 with 2GB of Ram and a 320GB HD
Security Software: McAfee Total Security 2007
Router: Dlink WBR2310
Router Settings : I don't know, unit basically self installs when it was set up and the disc was inserted so any specific info required here I can look up if necessary

From my previous posting the concensus was that I may have port conflict issues ??

The following message appears when I look at the hppt//localhost:9000 address:

.NETSystem.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingExce ption: Tcp channel protocol violation: expecting preamble. at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHand ler.ReadVersionAndOperation(UInt16& operation) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerSock etHandler.ReadHeaders() at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerTran sportSink.ServiceRequest(Object state) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Pro cessRequestNow()

If anyone can shed a little light on the subject I would appreciate it.

David Lawrence
2006-12-11, 01:30
I had the same problem, which was a conflict over the use of the port. The reply below cured it (or at least partially, since after I removed the conflict I discovered that 6.5 is extremely unstable! Try 6.3.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=158862&postcount=10

bpa
2006-12-11, 01:45
Inniswhe,

It looks like some other application is already using port 9000 and so your browser can't connect to it as it is not a http based app so you get protocol errors. You can find out the offending app by using netstat.

Since slimserver will find out on startup it can't use 9000, IIRC slimserver will find another free port possibly 9001. You can use the httport option to specify a port number.

Also install 6.5.1 instead of 6.5.0 - 6.5.1 has lots of problems solved.

Inniswhe
2006-12-11, 10:11
I installed version 6.5.1 latest build as recommended by BPA and the program will start but I get the following diplay on the browser:

.NETSystem.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingExce ption: Tcp channel protocol violation: expecting preamble. at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHand ler.ReadVersionAndOperation(UInt16& operation) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerSock etHandler.ReadHeaders() at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpServerTran sportSink.ServiceRequest(Object state) at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Pro cessRequestNow()

When I went to the command line and entered netstat I get the following:

C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server>netstat

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4235 localhost:9092 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4283 localhost:4284 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4286 localhost:4288 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4287 localhost:9000 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4289 localhost:4291 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4292 localhost:4294 ESTABLISHED
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4293 localhost:9092 ESTABLISHED
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4294 localhost:4292 ESTABLISHED
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4295 localhost:4297 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:9092 localhost:4290 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:9092 localhost:4293 ESTABLISHED
TCP ross-362ec2127d:9092 localhost:4296 TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:2869 192.168.0.1:1028 CLOSE_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4253 ro-in-f104.google.com:http TIME_WAIT
TCP ross-362ec2127d:4285 blk-222-16-9.eastlink.ca:http TIME_WAIT

Does this tell anyone anything ?

bpa
2006-12-11, 14:32
Installing 6.5.1 will not stop the port conflict which is stopping you getting at the slimserver web page. The browser trying to open the app (not slimserver) which has taken over port 9000 - that is why there is no change after installing 6.5.1

netstat is useful to find what is using port 9000 but rather than waste time tracking down the app, it would be better to find what port slimserver is using instead of 9000.

Make sure slimserver is not running. Using Wordpad (not Notepad) - open slimserver.pref in the Slimserver main directory. When the file is open - find the line with "httpport". It should have the new port number (hopefully not 9000) - note the new port number. Close the pref file and restart slimserver.

Start a browser and try accessing localhost:<newportno> where <newportno> is the number you noted (e.g. localhost:9002 ) .

Inniswhe
2006-12-11, 16:32
I checked the file as recommended by BPA. The port was 9080. I opened the program and put the correct 9080 port number in and voila, there is the interface back again.

Now every 10seconds something is happening but I am not sure what. There is a program trying to access the internet or something because I hear a click like the click when you open a new window in IE, and see the traffic status bar at the bottom of the screen light up green . It happens so fast I can't read what the command/address is. It then says "Done" again

Any ideas ?

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-11, 18:06
I checked the file as recommended by BPA. The port was 9080. I opened the program and put the correct 9080 port number in and voila, there is the interface back again.

Now every 10seconds something is happening but I am not sure what. There is a program trying to access the internet or something because I hear a click like the click when you open a new window in IE, and see the traffic status bar at the bottom of the screen light up green . It happens so fast I can't read what the command/address is. It then says "Done" again

Any ideas ?

That's the auto-refresh. It's supposed to do that to keep the page current.

But you can disable the click:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30200

Inniswhe
2006-12-11, 18:44
Thanks Mark for the tip on the refresh click. It was the start navigation click , I changed to None and that solved that problem.

I am still manually adjusting the browser address to port 9080 to see slimserver on start-up but it is extremely unstable. It crashes every few actions taken like browsing files , opening playlists , or just forwarding through a couple of songs. If I just leave the browser closed and let the softsqueeze play it seems to play reasonably stable but a great set-up.

Do I still have port problems BPA ??

ceejay
2006-12-12, 01:04
When you say "it crashes", what exactly are you referring to?

Is slimserver itself stopping? If so please have a look in the Windows Event Viewer (via control panel / admin tools) to see if there are any messages there.

Or is it the browser that's locking up? If so, did you by any chance install earlier versions (eg 6.3) during your hourney so far? If you did, there is a possibility that some parts of that may have been left hanging around which are interfering with 6.5.

Ceejay

Inniswhe
2006-12-12, 19:32
When you say "it crashes", what exactly are you referring to?

Slimserver stops, lights go out on the slim icon on the bottom of the screen and the browser stops displaying info. Other IE pages will continue to work fine so it does not appear to be an IE issue

Is slimserver itself stopping? If so please have a look in the Windows Event Viewer (via control panel / admin tools) to see if there are any messages there.

I looked there as requested. Events noted:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7035
Date: 12/12/2006
Time: 10:13:57 PM
User: ROSS-362EC2127D\Ross
Computer: ROSS-362EC2127D
Description:
The SlimServerMySQL service was successfully sent a stop control.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7036
Date: 12/12/2006
Time: 10:14:02 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ROSS-362EC2127D
Description:
The SlimServerMySQL service entered the stopped state.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Or is it the browser that's locking up?

Browser is not locking up.

If so, did you by any chance install earlier versions (eg 6.3) during your hourney so far?

No I did not . I would be willing to try an earlier version if it might work.

It appears that something is telling the server to stop. Could this be virus software ? I run the McAfee 2007 total security package. I tried disabling the components of McAfee but it did not seem to do anything.

ceejay
2006-12-13, 01:00
could well be McAfee - see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30531&highlight=mcafee

Ceejay

Inniswhe
2006-12-14, 21:11
Thanks Ceejay.
I finally have slimserver working stable. I turned off McAfee virus scan. I don't know how to set it up to skip certain files as recommended.
If anyone knows how to do this in mcAfee Total Protection 2007 please let me know because I don't want to leave it off for long.

Is there any concensus on recommended antivirus and antispyware software for good compatibility with slimserver ? It might be easiest to replace the software if Mcafee is going to give trouble.

Also does anyone know how to change the slimserver startup settings so that when I start slimserver it opens the browser to port 9080 instead of the default 9000 because slimserver is using port 9080 on my machine ?

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-15, 09:26
Thanks Ceejay.
I finally have slimserver working stable. I turned off McAfee virus scan. I don't know how to set it up to skip certain files as recommended.
If anyone knows how to do this in mcAfee Total Protection 2007 please let me know because I don't want to leave it off for long.

See

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=30543

Is there any concensus on recommended antivirus and antispyware software for good compatibility with slimserver ? It might be easiest to replace the software if Mcafee is going to give trouble.

No consensus, but avast! and Spybot, Ad-Aware, SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender works for me.

Also does anyone know how to change the slimserver startup settings so that when I start slimserver it opens the browser to port 9080 instead of the default 9000 because slimserver is using port 9080 on my machine ?

I'm not quite sure, but there may be a config file you can change. However most people just make a bookmark to the new port and use that.

Inniswhe
2006-12-17, 13:01
I got the slimserver working with the revised settings in McAfee. I made the recommended browser link to deal with the incorrect address on startup.
I now have what seems a solid stable program running. I think it is now safe to order the squeezebox.

I really appreciate the many people who helped me through the issues I had installing/configuring the server. It does seem like a really nice system when it is running well.

gages
2006-12-30, 17:32
Upgraded to 6.5.1, I also had to change my port.

Anyway to have the browser load with the new default port (9080)?

Recoveryone
2006-12-30, 18:02
its amazes me how such highly reguarded product has so many issue with the software. I order a SB3 based on the recommendation of the reviews on CNET also on the poor performance of my Netgear Mp101 DAR unit. The one thing that push me to get a SB was the fact it had digital outputs. And with the new Pioneer receiver I just got that has the ability to re-config compressed music files back to its original state (needs to be optically connected).

My old Mp101 does a fair job analog connected,the software is easy to use. creating playlist is a snap, in-program editing of tags and has internet access via paid account, also was able to use MusicMatch Unp server mode to access other playlist you may have had other than in the netgear server. Never had any problems with security/spy ware.

but has problems at times with IP addressing and dropped signal (wireless mode). When I had my Computer hardwired to the network the Mp101 worked like champ. But thats not an option anymore unless I drill holes in the ceiling to run a Cat5 line upstairs. So I hope this SB lives up to all the hype!!

This software is very suspect and hard to deal with.

gages
2006-12-30, 18:07
Turns out my issue was not port related. I had an older screen saver (worldclock.pm) that was causing the server to crash.

Seems like the worldclock screen save will not work with 6.5.x

ceejay
2006-12-31, 02:08
And with the new Pioneer receiver I just got that has the ability to re-config compressed music files back to its original state (needs to be optically connected).

Ummm... if you think that it has the capablity to get the original sound quality back from a compressed mp3 then no... you've been taken in by dodgy marketing spin. Would you care to post a link to where this claim is made so we can all have a good laugh at it?

Thanks
Ceejay