PDA

View Full Version : Some advice needed

marley102
2006-12-10, 15:13
I have just placed an order for Squeezebox 3 Wireless,could someone reassure me i have the right equipment to run it.I currently have my computer connected to a Netgear modem/router,also have another computer connected wirelessly to the router.I wanted to connect Squeezebox to my existing hi fi separates system via the amplifiers analogue connection,or will this result in loss of signal quality.I have read that it can be connected digitally.Can someone tell me whether I've got it terribly wrong.
cheers for any help
Marley102

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-10, 15:46
I currently have my computer connected to a Netgear modem/router,also have another computer connected wirelessly to the router.

Should be good there. You know you can download SlimServer at any time at www.slimdevices.com/downloads. 6.5.0 is the latest release but there's lots of bug fixes in the prerelease nightly (use the 6 5 x version).

I wanted to connect Squeezebox to my existing hi fi separates system via the amplifiers analogue connection,or will this result in loss of signal quality.

Are you connecting more than one device to the amplifer? If so, you need a preamp or at least a switch so that you can switch inputs.

If the Squeezebox will be the only device connected to it, you can get by connecting it directly to the amplifier. However, usually you should put some protection in just in case the Squeezebox suffers some sort of failure, putting out full-level, full-voltage signal and potentially blowing the speakers. The possibility is exceedingly remote, think of it as speaker insurance. You should use attenuators or a preamp in between the SB3 and the amplifer.

There's no loss of signal quality, the SB3 has a good DAC.

I have read that it can be connected digitally.

Yes, but your preamp/processor needs a digital input in order to use it, either coaxial or optical. The SB3 DAC may be at least as good as one you may have in such a device.

davep
2006-12-10, 15:47
You are just fine. The analogue output of the SB3 is of very high quality and unless you have a really good DAC in your hi-fi system, you will be getting the best sound you can from it.

Good luck with setting it up and do come back here if you have any problems with this as there are lots of people here ready and willing to help.

davep

marley102
2006-12-10, 16:01
cheers guys for the advice,well appreiciated.I look forward to receiving it,and getting started.I have already downloaded slimserver.I prosumed it was somthing like w/media player,I try opening the programe up but nothing happens,is this because i haven't got my Squeezebox connected up yet,as you can see i will be using a lot of this forum in the next couple of weeks.

ceejay
2006-12-10, 16:31
Slimserver isn't a player, it is literally just a server. However the easiest way to get started is to install Softsqueeze (its included with SS - go to "help"), which is a software player that emulates an SB.

Ceejay

marley102
2006-12-10, 16:40
thanks ceejay, question aswered
marley102