PDA

View Full Version : No network connection -- please help

Kyle
2006-12-09, 17:06
All of a sudden, my SB3 is not connecting with my network. It "sees" the network's SSID, but it cannot connect. I've changed no settings, and it has worked for nearly a year with no connection problems. I've tried a factory reset and unplugging both the router (Belkin pre-N) and the SB3 for 15 minutes or more before trying to reconnect. I run Windows XP. I know my network is working because I'm typing on my laptop right now. Any ideas would be appreciated. I can't be without my SB3 at Christmas!

jonheal
2006-12-09, 17:23
Have you tried a wired connection to the router?

Just to be clear, when you tried the "factory reset," you plugged the power cord into the SB while you were holding down the "+" button, right?

(Get sick of useless, unhelpful posts in the other thread?)

Kyle
2006-12-09, 17:29
Have you tried a wired connection to the router?

Just to be clear, when you tried the "factory reset," you plugged the power cord into the SB while you were holding down the "+" button, right?

(Get sick of useless, unhelpful posts in the other thread?)

Unfortunately a wired connection would be a lot of trouble, but I'll do it if I have to. Yes, I did factory reset as specified. Thought I'd try a new post so the title would more accurately reflect my problem. The posts in the other thread would be funnier if I were listening to music. ;-)

jonheal
2006-12-09, 17:54
Unfortunately a wired connection would be a lot of trouble, but I'll do it if I have to. Yes, I did factory reset as specified. Thought I'd try a new post so the title would more accurately reflect my problem. The posts in the other thread would be funnier if I were listening to music. ;-)

Kyle,

Doesn't your router have ethernet ports? Just plug the SB into one. Forget about listening to music right now, just take the SB and the remote to the router, plug it in and see if you can get a connection.

Kyle
2006-12-09, 21:07
Thanks, jonheal. When I want to unhook my SB3 to wire it to my router, I saw the mac address on the bottom and realized it was not the address that was showing in my settings. Changing the address got me going again. I should have checked that earlier, I guess. I wonder what could have changed it? I think I may be having problems with my desktop, so that could be it. Might have to get a new computer after Christmas (there goes that HDTV I was thinking about for the after-Christmas sales). Thanks again.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-09, 22:42
Thanks, jonheal. When I want to unhook my SB3 to wire it to my router, I saw the mac address on the bottom and realized it was not the address that was showing in my settings. Changing the address got me going again. I should have checked that earlier, I guess. I wonder what could have changed it? I think I may be having problems with my desktop, so that could be it. Might have to get a new computer after Christmas (there goes that HDTV I was thinking about for the after-Christmas sales). Thanks again.

There's a rare issue where the SB's MAC address can change. You can change it back.

This wouldn't be your computer doing this.

But you may want to go to the player and select "forget this player". Since it can't connect, there's a configuration file you either edit or delete - you should research this in the forum first though.

Kyle
2006-12-10, 08:01
But you may want to go to the player and select "forget this player". Since it can't connect, there's a configuration file you either edit or delete - you should research this in the forum first though.

I changed the mac address on the SB, and it was able to connect. The problem with your suggestion is that if the SB cannot connect, Softsqueeze doesn't see it, so I can't tell it to forget it. Hopefully, this won't be a recurring problem.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-10, 10:53
I changed the mac address on the SB, and it was able to connect. The problem with your suggestion is that if the SB cannot connect, Softsqueeze doesn't see it, so I can't tell it to forget it. Hopefully, this won't be a recurring problem.

Well that's why I suggested getting into the files because you can't forget it if the player settings page isn't there.

Glad to see you sorted it out.

Kyle
2006-12-10, 16:32
Gotcha. Thanks for your help.