PDA

View Full Version : Best song by worst band?

bephillips
2006-12-09, 14:09
This thread
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=25595
asks what acclaimed artists can't you stand to listen to? Well, there are so many. Here's a different question:

What songs do you like by artists that you generally can't stand?

I'll start:

Bob Seger: Katmandu and I'm Not A Number

Journey: Wheel in the Sky

Eddie Money: A good cover of Rock 'n' Roll Doctor from the Lowell George tribute album of the same name.

Phil Collins: Land of Confusion (or is this only because of the video?)

This should be fun.

tomsi42
2006-12-09, 15:01
Good question.

But I find it difficult to answer that on the top of my head. Fortunately, I don't have many CD's with artists I don't like. So I have to do some reasearch here ;)

But to get the ball rolling:
I have never been a fan of The Rolling Stones, but I like "Angie".

Tom

tomsi42
2006-12-10, 05:17
Here is another one: "Careless whisper" with George Michael.

Tom

ceejay
2006-12-10, 06:11
Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty.

Down Under, Men At Work.

Ceejay.

PhilNYC
2006-12-10, 06:35
Little Red Corvette and Kiss, by Prince...

peejay
2006-12-10, 21:52
Good question.

But I find it difficult to answer that on the top of my head. Fortunately, I don't have many CD's with artists I don't like. So I have to do some reasearch here ;)

But to get the ball rolling:
I have never been a fan of The Rolling Stones, but I like "Angie".

Tom

Me Neither, but Sympathy for the Devil is one of my favourites. No Stones albums grace my collection, except for an LP I was given by a friend dumping their small collection in a garage sale...

Magyarock
2006-12-10, 22:26
Baker Street, Gerry Rafferty.

Down Under, Men At Work.

Ceejay.

I like the music of Gerry Rafferty, but I hate Bakerstreet.

(nice thought)

tomsi42
2006-12-11, 06:27

(nice thought)

In other words - This thread should be more or less identical of the "worst song by best band" ;)

ceejay
2006-12-11, 15:02

(nice thought)

Interesting!

I guess what that really means is that Baker Street belongs to a different musical style from the rest of his work: you like one style, I like the other.

So this thread is really about "examples of artists who have released a song which is quite different from their other work"?

Ceejay.

peejay
2006-12-12, 19:18
Me Neither, but Sympathy for the Devil is one of my favourites. No Stones albums grace my collection, except for an LP I was given by a friend dumping their small collection in a garage sale...

Wait, an update on my collection - I just won the latest Stones album at a showing of 'Gimme Shelter', where Sam Cutler (ex Stones tour manager during the lates 60s) gave a Q&A session after the movie. He's a wild and interesting dude - friends of mine and I ended up drinking with him till 5 the next morning. Not recommended behaviour for a person of my vintage, but you rarely get a chance to spend time with a guy who counts the members of the Rolling Stones as his personal friends...I'll let you know what I think of 'A Bigger Bang' soon.

tomsi42
2006-12-13, 06:02
Wait, an update on my collection - I just won the latest Stones album at a showing of 'Gimme Shelter', where Sam Cutler (ex Stones tour manager during the lates 60s) gave a Q&A session after the movie. He's a wild and interesting dude - friends of mine and I ended up drinking with him till 5 the next morning. Not recommended behaviour for a person of my vintage, but you rarely get a chance to spend time with a guy who counts the members of the Rolling Stones as his personal friends...I'll let you know what I think of 'A Bigger Bang' soon.

Records given in this way are usually more fun than bought in the shop - they usually sounds better too ;)

Seineseeker
2006-12-16, 09:00
The Bad Touch by The Bloodhound Gang is a great little pop song.

Phil Leigh
2006-12-19, 10:32
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana