PDA

View Full Version : My black SB3 (sort of)

dpayeur
2006-12-09, 10:31
Hello all fellow slim users,

I've been planning to paint the metal plate on my 'black' SB3 to match my other equipment for a while now and the recent threads about the new real black SB3 just pushed me to it.

Having heard about the plate being just glue on, I thought I would just pull the plate, sand it, paint it with a nice shinny black acrylic and stick it back. Easy enough isn't it.

But removing the plate was quite harder than I thought. The glue, at least on my sample, was well spreaded out and the plate was stuck stiff. Enough so that I damaged it while removing it. It is quite thin and made of a soft metal that got slightly 'bended/kinked' while being pulled on. Damn! I could probably manage to flatten it out but ...

Noticing that the plastic under the plate is the same as the display part, what I did is this:
- Use rubbing alcool to gently disolve and remove the glue chunks. This took quite a while. Being carefull not to touch the display plastic.
- Use a bit of peanut butter to gently rub out the remaining glue film (I know this sounds weird but I've used peanut butter as a gentle abrasive more than once with great success)
- Finally use Windex to get rid of the final film on the plastic and bring a nice shine

The result is a nice full black SB3. I can see some parts inside through the bottom part too, which I like.

I thought I'd share this experience but your mileage may vary. Oh, and I'm not reponsible if you do it and scratch your display :-))

You'll find a picture attached. It looks even better in person...

Sincerly yours,
Donald

stinkingpig
2006-12-09, 14:39
On 12/9/06, dpayeur
<dpayeur.2ik78b1165685701 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
> ...
> The result is a nice full black SB3. I can see some parts inside
> through the bottom part too, which I like.
>
> I thought I'd share this experience but your mileage may vary. Oh, and
> I'm not reponsible if you do it and scratch your display.
>
> You'll find a picture attached. It looks even better in person...
>

It's a good save -- I like the transparent look too. Bummer that
there's a bit of a visible groove line though.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

BobBolvin
2006-12-10, 04:27
I used to use peanut butter for the same purpose until I found Goo Gone. It works like a charm. http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml