PDA

View Full Version : And another bloody thing..................

Orb
2006-12-08, 09:08
Slim server used to be around 10-12 MB.

The latest version is now around 25 MB?

Why?

Have you tried to download 25MB on a crappy dial-up connection?

What's more after three or fours days of trying to download the bloody thing, once installed SB keeps going blank when you try to browse a folder.

HUM BUG

Kyle
2006-12-08, 09:22

Why?

What's more after three or fours days of trying to download the bloody thing, once installed SB keeps going blank when you try to browse a folder.

HUM BUG

Well, that settles it. You really do need to move to California.

kdf
2006-12-08, 09:36
On 8-Dec-06, at 8:22 AM, Kyle wrote:

>
> Well, that settles it. You really do need to move to California.
>
or stick to decaff
-kdf

snarlydwarf
2006-12-08, 09:41
On 8-Dec-06, at 8:22 AM, Kyle wrote:

>
> Well, that settles it. You really do need to move to California.
>
or stick to decaff
-kdf

I dunno, being a caffeine addict myself, I would say he needs more, not less.

Just never ever let your caffeine drop once you go the addict route.

Orb
2006-12-08, 09:54
You know I've a bottle of Tullimore Dew Whiskey sitting in the kitchen. Dial-up leads to whiskey abuse.

jonheal
2006-12-08, 10:38

Why?

HUM BUG

No wonder the Irish are so damned depressed all the time.

bpa
2006-12-08, 10:59
From yesterday's paper

Irish people are happier than most other Europeans but feel tired and worn out more regularly, according to a new Eurobarometer survey on mental well-being.
The study - published by the European Commission today - shows that 82 per cent of Irish people claimed to be happy all or most of the time.

This was 17 per cent higher than the EU average and ranked Ireland second only to the Dutch in terms of personal happiness.

snarlydwarf
2006-12-08, 11:02
From yesterday's paper

Irish people are happier than most other Europeans but feel tired and worn out more regularly, according to a new Eurobarometer survey on mental well-being.

Well, see, more coffee.

bpa
2006-12-08, 11:20
I love surveys - I think the EU surveyors went to pub and found lots of happy people passing the time while slimserver downloaded on their dialup link.

A report funded by the European Commission and produced by the UK Institute of Alcohol Studies, has said a higher proportion of income in Ireland is spent on alcohol than in any other European Union country.
The report, published today, also says that Irish people are the biggest binge drinkers in the EU.
The survey shows that Ireland is spending three times more than any other country and ten times more than Greece.

Robin Bowes
2006-12-08, 11:40
Orb wrote:
>
> Have you tried to download 25MB on a crappy dial-up connection?
>

Then get a better connection.

R.

bpa
2006-12-08, 12:12
Not so simple.

Unfortunately the broadband situation in Ireland is a disaster where the network is effectively owned by a monopoly and has been badly maintained as a result of many privitisations/floatations, re-financing and resulting cash extraction. The regulator is so weak it hasn't enforced local loop unbundling to get competitors in and the wireless and satellite alternatives are only available in limited areas.

This means very many people just cannot get broadband and have to make do with poor quality dialup. According the recent OECD report there are only 372,000 broadband subscribers in Ireland (pop about 4.5m) - 25th out of 30 countries surveyed Top six - Denmark, the Netherlands, Iceland, Korea, Switzerland and Finland.