PDA

View Full Version : Accessing NAS via SS on QNAP101

jnicolson
2006-12-07, 18:05
I have Slimserver installed on a QNAP TS 101 and am very pleased with its performance over several months. I now need to increase storage capacity of the TS 101 and have tried to point slimserver to another TS 101 (Public) folder however slimserver does not see the files. I've also tried a shortcut (UNC format)to an attached USB drive again with no success. Is there a way to do this or am I wasting my time? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Andy_W
2006-12-08, 05:56
I have Slimserver installed on a QNAP TS 101 and am very pleased with its performance over several months. I now need to increase storage capacity of the TS 101 and have tried to point slimserver to another TS 101 (Public) folder however slimserver does not see the files. I've also tried a shortcut (UNC format)to an attached USB drive again with no success. Is there a way to do this or am I wasting my time? Any suggestions would be welcome.

Are you talking about another TS101 in addition to your exisiting one or another folder on the same TS101?

jnicolson
2006-12-08, 06:25
Are you talking about another TS101 in addition to your exisiting one or another folder on the same TS101?

Hi

Thanks - I'm talking about an additional TS101 in adition to the one with Slimserver installed.

roamingstudio
2006-12-08, 08:38
Do both have SS installed? Are you using the second Qnap as a slave or a master?

Andy_W
2006-12-08, 08:51
Do both have SS installed? Are you using the second Qnap as a slave or a master?

I was just about to ask that!

jnicolson
2006-12-08, 14:37
Guys, apologies for my ignorance but I'm not sure what you mean by master/slave in this particular context. I have Slimserver running happily on one TS101. However, I've run short of storage space on this Slimserver TS101 and was considering some options for storing the additional music files. It so happens that I also have a second TS101 on my network, for general use (no Slimserver installed)and I wondered if I put the additional music in the QPublic folder on this second TS101 whether Slimserver could be pointed towards these files. The other option was to put the files on a USB disc attached as a network share to the Slimserver TS101. I have tried both these options but slimserver did not see the files. I wondered if I am doing something wrong or whether Slimserver running on a TS101 is not able to access files on a different network drive.

roamingstudio
2006-12-09, 00:36
Attching a USB drive as a slave to the original SS installed QNAP should now work - I believe progressive posted a suitable patch in November.

Getting SS on one TS101 to read the drive of another across the network is not easy - there is no reason why one should know about the other. In theory it may be possible - but the option above makes more sense.

jnicolson
2006-12-09, 11:20
Hi - many thanks I'll get the update and try the USB option. Best regards

jnicolson
2006-12-27, 06:36
I have not been able to get the usb slave to work on the TS101. I have installed the patch from Progressive, attached and formatted the usb drive, loaded some music files and put a link in the \music folder on the TS101. However slimserver cannot see the files following library re-scan, although clicking on the link takes me straight to the files. I would be grateful if anyone who has got this to work could give me some advice. Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Seineseeker
2006-12-27, 12:40
I'm not sure anyone has actually got it to work. I've yet to read of a success story on the forum of attaching another drive via the USB.

jnicolson
2006-12-28, 05:23
So for once it's not just me! Thanks for getting back to me, it has saved me wasting a lot more time - I'll just hang on and see what develops. I hope it will eventually be possible since I don't really want to buy another TS101, if I can help it. Incidentally, for me, the TS101 has done exactly what it was meant to do, and very well - I'm delighted with it, I just wish I had bought a bigger one.

regards

roamingstudio
2006-12-28, 08:31
It would be interesting to see if this is a 'mount' issue; or a symbolic link one. When I get time I will look into it.