PDA

View Full Version : Transporter improvements?

adamslim
2006-12-07, 10:28
With the dollar merrily collapsing away, I'm getting into the idea of buying a Transporter, but am struggling to get it past the wife - she doesn't like the looks, and I'm kinda agreeing with her. Do others agree? What would we suggest?

Here's my list:
- Lose the handles. I don't have a rack system.
- What is the point of all the buttons? I can't use more than three without getting confused. Does it need any?
- Bring out versions in chrome and brushed aluminium.
- How about a nice valve output stage. You don't have to use it, it would just be warm and cuddly.
- A more solid remote.
- Different backlight options (colours) on the display.

This sort of thing makes it much easier for me to get a $2k purchase bribe-free. As it stands the Transporter is Jimmy Choos (plural) only, doubling the price... :(

Adam

CatBus
2006-12-07, 11:03
With the dollar merrily collapsing away, I'm getting into the idea of buying a Transporter, but am struggling to get it past the wife - she doesn't like the looks, and I'm kinda agreeing with her. Do others agree? What would we suggest?

Here's my list:
- Lose the handles. I don't have a rack system.
- What is the point of all the buttons? I can't use more than three without getting confused. Does it need any?
- Bring out versions in chrome and brushed aluminium.
- How about a nice valve output stage. You don't have to use it, it would just be warm and cuddly.
- A more solid remote.

This sort of thing makes it much easier for me to get a $2k purchase bribe-free. As it stands the Transporter is Jimmy Choos (plural) only, doubling the price... :(

Adam

I'd modify/disagree with a couple of your suggestions:

- Develop a handle-removal "kit". No system will please everyone (some like handles, some don't). DIY types can remove the handles already, but it'd be nice if there were a hole-plugging plate you could buy to make that option more aesthetic.

- The buttons are nice when the remote is broken, lost, or you're out of spare batteries (and the party's starting RIGHT NOW and you don't have time to pull all the cushions off the couch or make a quick run to the store). I never use them, but I'm glad I have them, just in case, even if they're confusing or hard to use.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-07, 11:18

If you're talking about permanent options at purchase time, yes, Slim could just put different filters in front of the natural green VFD (like they did to make it aqua).

However if you're talking about changing the display colours in operation, this isn't possible with dot-matrix VFDs. You'd have to have a tricolour phosphor arrangement like a CRT. With the VFD dot pitch, this just isn't possible.

Not with their VFD supplier (Noritake (http://www.noritake-elec.com/)) anyway, and if it was available, it sure wouldn't be cheap.

And no, please don't change from VFD to LCD!

adamslim
2006-12-07, 11:42
The buttons are nice when the remote is broken, lost, or you're out of spare batteries (and the party's starting RIGHT NOW and you don't have time to pull all the cushions off the couch or make a quick run to the store). I never use them, but I'm glad I have them, just in case, even if they're confusing or hard to use.

Surely that's what the web interface is for? My SB3 doesn't need buttons, so why on the Transporter? Just to make it uglier? ;)

I agree with the handle option and Mark's screen points though

Adam

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-07, 13:03
BTW Noritake do have a nice page describing the colour variations possible:

http://www.noritake-elec.com/colors.htm

Violet would be cool.

ModelCitizen
2006-12-07, 13:51
No useless handles, buttons or knob.
Half current size.
Single double length display.
Sonos-like remote.
More bass.

MC

ModelCitizen
2006-12-07, 13:54
No useless handles, buttons or knob.
Half current size.
Single double length display.
Sonos-like remote.
More bass.
MC
Of course, there is always Patrick Dixon's SB+.
MC

ModelCitizen
2006-12-07, 14:13
My SB3 doesn't need buttons, so why on the Transporter? Just to make it uglier? ;)
I think it looks quite good really. It's just I never use the buttons or knob or the (very pants) web interface if I can help it at all (which I generally can).
MC

Robin Bowes
2006-12-07, 14:37
ModelCitizen wrote:
> No useless handles, buttons or knob.

I agree the handles are useless. I like the buttons, even though I use
remote or web interface most of the time. Not sure about the knob. I'd
probably be happy with up/down/select buttons

> Half current size.

The size is perfect for me - same width as my amps!

> Single double length display.

That would be nice.

> Sonos-like remote.

Not bothered personally, but can see the attraction.

> More bass.

Listen to more reggae. :)

R.

adamslim
2006-12-07, 15:52
OK then: nice violet display, metallic finish, knob on the right, double-width display, no buttons, no handles. Then on my next evening in with a nice Sauternes, my credit card is out. How about it Sean?

A

Pale Blue Ego
2006-12-07, 15:57
No handles, no buttons. One big, wide VFD display, with the trick knob on the side. And a pony.

adamslim
2006-12-07, 16:03
And a pony.

25 quid off? I'd rather have a free SB3 thanks :)

Oh and I've already got a trick knob. Can I say that? Oh dear...

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-07, 16:18
> Half current size.

The size is perfect for me - same width as my amps!

This is quite on purpose - 17" rackmount form factor.

Personally I don't think the unit is unattractive at all, but I wouldn't be upset if the handles were removed.

Regarding the display, Slim may be up against the wall here. I don't think VFD displays get much wider than this - they get taller though.

I do like the knob and the buttons. I don't have much use for them, but I still like them and would rather not see them go. But the knob in the middle kind of "splits up" the screens in an awkward way.

I'd also like to see more efficient use of the right screen. When in spectrum analyzer mode, the Now Playing info "flies in" from the centre. Looks odd, it would look nicer flying in from the right, going through the right display and stopping on the left side of the left display. I was also thinking about an "audiophile data" screensaver showing bars for signal strength, buffer fullness, current bitrate, file format, etc. I realize that patches are welcome, however I just can't seem to learn Perl despite several attempts. I'm either getting too old or its too unlike the other languages I've played with.