PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Bridge Just Doesn't Work

raintonr
2006-12-06, 22:47
Hi all,

Surely I must be doing something wrong here, I just cannot get the wireless bridge mode of the SB2 to work... how hard can it be?

The situation is this:

Linux Box (LB1) in Study, running Slimserver 6.5 (this box is also DHCP server, runs broadband gateway, etc).
D-Link DI-524 in Study connected to Linux Box
SB2 in Bedroom, normal stuff, no bridging
SB2 in Lounge, trying to bridge to a second Linux Box (LB2)
SB2s are on firmware 64 from the 6.5 server.

Turned on wireless bridge function on the Lounge SB2, connected to LB2 with crossover cable. 'Link' light comes on - all good, but no IP address via DHCP.

Hmmmm... OK - configure LB2's IP manually for now and try and ping LB1. 'Act' light on back of LB2 flashes with transmitted ping packets, but nothing gets to LB1.

LB2 can't even ping the IP address that DHCP server says SB2 in lounge has.

I know there's nothing wrong with crossover cable - connected a laptop to LB2 with it and was able to ping between the two.

I know there's nothing wrong with LB2's network config - connected a huge cat5 cable between it and DI-524 and everything works fine.

From all this I can only deduce that the SB2 in Lounge isn't doing what it's mean to do. It's meant to pass packets from the wireless LAN (essentially the DI-524) to LB2, and visa-versa, right? Having the same effect as that huge cat5 cable (which I clearly don't want to have trailing through the house).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Robin

MrC
2006-12-06, 23:03
Related?

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4557
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3660

raintonr
2006-12-06, 23:21
http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4557
Don't think so... doesn't appear to pass any packets ever.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=3660

Don't think so... doesn't matter whether the packets are DHCP or otherwise. Setting the IP address of LB2 manually didn't have any effect.

Patrick Dixon
2006-12-07, 03:05
You have been through the wireless setup menus and made sure you have bridging mode on - haven't you?

raintonr
2006-12-07, 03:38
You have been through the wireless setup menus and made sure you have bridging mode on - haven't you?

Absolutely.

Some diagnostics could help here. There's no lights on the SB2 ethernet port so a status menu that could flash when packets came in/out would be very useful.

Even something on Slimserver interface to tell you the SB2 was doing it's stuff - you know, like a packet counter or something would also do the job.

raintonr
2006-12-07, 04:53
Absolutely.

Ah... erm... or so I thought!

OK, so this gets a bit weird... I was originally running an old 6.5beta of Slimserver when beginning to set this up. From memory this was dated a couple weeks before the official 6.5 release. SB2s were on firmware 62.

I am 100% sure at this point that I was able to follow the instructions in the manual:

2. Press and hold Left to get to setup.
3. Go up to networking
4. Choose your region
5. You should be presented with bridging option - yes I was, turned it on.

After this, the bridge didn't work, so figured I should get the latest Slimserver (not a beta - took official 6.5.0 - 9916 - Linux - EN - utf8) which upgraded SB2 firmware to 64.

Upon SB2 boot was able to hit Left, goto 'current settings' and yes, bridge wireless was still on.

Still not working decided to factory reset. Set up wireless networking in the same way, but no - this time there was no question to ask to turn bridging on.

Player connected to Server fine, press Left, go check 'current settings' - lo and behold, bridge if _OFF_!! Go back to network setup and after country, no, there is no option for bridging - it's disappeared!!!

What on earth? Where has this option gone? Notice it is still listed in 'current settings' but there's no way to modify from there. Gone from network setup.

This is the same story whether a cable is connected or not upon boot and network setup. Although I do notice when the SB2 connects to wireless LAN, whatever is connected to the wired port reports it's been disconnected and re-connected in quick succession.

I'm stumped, sorry, but what's the go?

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-07, 07:23
Here's how it SHOULD work:

- you connect a crossover wire to the SB Ethernet port, and connect the other end to the device you want to bridge.

- on reset* if you request to connect to SlimServer wirelessly, the next option would be to bridge the connection. Note you have to connect to SlimServer wirelessly, the firmware then says to itself "well the user wants to connect wirelessly and my Ethernet port is connected to something, therefore present the bridge option." You sure you haven't accidentally selected wired networking?

* I would think one "reset" mode which should always work would be a factory reset. Power-cycling worked for me as well, provided you go through network setup again. I'm not sure if simply going back to network setup with power still applied would do the trick. I'd think if you see the option it should be enabled.

Some thoughts:

- you sure the cable is OK?

- do you have MAC filtering enabled in the router and is the bridged device on the permitted MAC list?

It's a pretty simple process and there isn't that much to change. For me, speed was nearly as good as my laptop wireless in the same area, see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19612 I did have a file sharing issue (bridged computer would not see other computers) which I am unable to resolve, but it appears to be some strange and persistent existing network issue which is made worse when using the SB in bridged mode.

raintonr
2006-12-07, 14:08
Here's how it SHOULD work:
- you connect a crossover wire to the SB Ethernet port, and connect the other end to the device you want to bridge.
Yup - done that. When you change region on the SB2 or power cycle it the machine on the other end of cable sees LINK down then up.

- on reset* if you request to connect to SlimServer wirelessly, the next option would be to bridge the connection. Note you have to connect to SlimServer wirelessly, the firmware then says to itself "well the user wants to connect wirelessly and my Ethernet port is connected to something, therefore present the bridge option." You sure you haven't accidentally selected wired networking?
On either power cycle with Factory Reset or just hitting Left for 5 seconds the same options appear.

The 'Bridge Network' option is not amongst them - it just disappeared! See above, sure it was there on Firmware 62. Yup - I'm defo on wireless.

- you sure the cable is OK?
Yup - connected two machines with it as a test - works just fine.

- do you have MAC filtering enabled in the router and is the bridged device on the permitted MAC list?
Nope - no MAC filtering, sure of that.

I think this is now down the the Bridge option disappearing - nothing in bug list about this, will raise one:

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4570

snarlydwarf
2006-12-07, 14:21
Yup - connected two machines with it as a test - works just fine.

This can be a bit misleading though. There are two basic types of Ethernet cables: straight and crossover.

A straight cable is going to be pin 1 <-> pin 1, pin 2 <-> pin 2, etc. A cross will follow the weird ethernet cross pattern (I havent had to handcrimp one in ages, so that is now in my useless knowledge archive, fortunately).

The trick is that many Ethernet cards (and hubs/routers/switches) know that there are two types of cables and auto-detect which is in use and swap signals around to make either work.

The Squeezebox doesn't.

It may still not be a crossover cable: could you check the ends? Hold both ends together parallel to each other and the colors of the wires should not match.

http://www.incentre.net/incentre/frame/ethernet.html has an okay diagram (with colors!) of the two types of cables. The colors arent really important of course, but the difference between a crossover and a straight-through do matter with some devices. The squeezebox doesnt autoswap, and if the LB2 doesn't autoswap (or is in some contention mode) then it won't work without the right cable.

raintonr
2006-12-07, 14:31
This can be a bit misleading though. There are two basic types of Ethernet cables: straight and crossover.

It is defo a crossover cable and have used it to connect two machines which do not auto-detect and get them to talk.

Have tried connecting both of these machines (one is a Dell laptop, the other is a Linux box with old Netgear card) individually to the SB2 to bridge and neither works.

As I say, the 'LINK' light on whatever you plug into SB2 comes on with this cable. With a standard cable it does not (yes, I tried a standard cable too just to be sure the doco really meant crossover).

Patrick Dixon
2006-12-07, 15:26
Just a thought, but howabout swapping the 2 SBs over, just to see if it's a hardware problem with the one SB.