PDA

View Full Version : Server IP address?

Regnad
2006-12-04, 18:48
I use a Palm TX to control SS and enter the X.X.X.X IP address to do this. The last number changes from time to time and I don't know why. Usually it is 101, 106 or 104.

How can I keep it the same?

Thanks for any advice...

JJZolx
2006-12-04, 19:34
I use a Palm TX to control SS and enter the X.X.X.X IP address to do this. The last number changes from time to time and I don't know why. Usually it is 101, 106 or 104.

Thanks for any advice...
More information is needed.

What does your network look like? What devices and computers are on the network, and how are they connected, starting with (assuming you have an Internet connection) the 'modem' connected to your ISP.

Do those IP addresses all begin with 192.168?

What operating system is running on the computer that runs SlimServer?

It may be as simple as entering a fixed IP address into the computer running SlimServer, but may be a bit more involved.

Edit: Even simpler, now that I think of it, may be to use the computer name and not worry about how the network is set up. It'll depend a bit on whether the Palm can resolve WINS names (and assuming the server is running Windows).

ceejay
2006-12-05, 01:02

Thanks for any advice...

DHCP.

Your PC will be picking up an IP address from your DHCP server, which is almost certainly in your router. Some routers will kindly remember which address they last gave to a given device and re-issue it, others won't. To be sure of having the same address at all times, as Jim says, force for PC to have a static address instead of using DHCP. Just make sure you pick one with the same number in the first three fields (eg 192.168.0) and a number for the last field which is in a completely different range from the one that DHCP is using. There will probably be a router setting for the beginning of the range (sounds like it might be 100 for you), so the safe bet is to pick an address below that (eg 99). If you're on Windows, go to the Properties of your Network Connection...

Ceejay

Regnad
2006-12-05, 01:03
Using Linksys WRT54G with WinXP and have no trouble connecting to the net, only the server PC which is named "Science".

Not sure how to use the computer name for URL. Currently using "http://192.168.1.106:9000/handheld"

Thanks for helping...

ceejay
2006-12-05, 01:06
Well, that would be "http://science:9000/handheld", then, but the Palm may well not be able to resolve that name (I know my PocketPC can't, I have to use the number and for that reason have fixed my IP addresses...)

Ceejay

Regnad
2006-12-05, 01:15
OK, I set IP to manual and changed the last number to 99 in Network Properties. That works so I guess I'm good!

Thanks for the help.

bergek
2006-12-05, 02:18
Your PC will be picking up an IP address from your DHCP server, which is almost certainly in your router. Some routers will kindly remember which address they last gave to a given device and re-issue it, others won't. To be sure of having the same address at all times, as Jim says, force for PC to have a static address instead of using DHCP.

Or make a DHCP reservation (WRT54G should have support for it - probably called 'IP reservation'). By using DHCP reservation, you will get the benefit of a static address without having to fiddle with your IP settings if you need to switch network or reinstall your computer.

Regnad
2006-12-05, 10:36
With IP manually set to X.X.X.99 I find that I can't get to radio streams. I set it back to automatic and radioio.com works again.

I do not see how to to make a DHCP reservation. BTW, I have 2 computers on the network, the server and the main computer.

Sorry for the noob questions, I really appreciate the help!

SuperQ
2006-12-05, 11:20
With IP manually set to X.X.X.99 I find that I can't get to radio streams. I set it back to automatic and radioio.com works again.

I do not see how to to make a DHCP reservation. BTW, I have 2 computers on the network, the server and the main computer.

Sorry for the noob questions, I really appreciate the help!

you forgot to set a gateway when you set the PC to manual.

You probably need to set it to the IP of your linksys. Probably X.X.X.1

Regnad
2006-12-05, 14:54
I had it set like this:

IP address = 192.168.1.99
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 192.168.1.1

I do see that it now wants a DNS server address which I did not specify.

Thanks...

JJZolx
2006-12-05, 15:00
I had it set like this:

IP address = 192.168.1.99
subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
default gateway = 192.168.1.1

I do see that it now wants a DNS server address which I did not specify.

Thanks...
On your PC go to Start > Run, enter 'cmd' and type

ipconfig /all

Use the IP addresses of the DNS servers shown there. These are the ones from your ISP that have been assigned to your PC through DHCP.

Regnad
2006-12-05, 16:10
Ok, fixed IP and radioio works!

Thanks to all and I learned something, too...