ulvi
2006-12-04, 11:29
I am running slimserver 6.3.1 on a Win XP SP2 machine
controlling a SB3 on the wireless network. Everything works
fine on the local machine. However, today I tried to connect
to slimserver from my Mac OS X laptop (on the same
wireless network) by typing http://ipaddress:9000/ , where
ipaddress is the ip address of the local machine running
slimserver. The mac browsers (tried both Safari and IE)
fail to connect and give up after a while without any
diagnostic info. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

ceejay
2006-12-04, 11:44
Perhaps a firewall on either of the machines is getting in the way?

Can your Windows machine see the MAC? (eg "ping" its IP address?)

Ceejay

ulvi
2006-12-04, 12:19
Good tip, thanks. It turns out the ip address
I am using cannot be pinged from anywhere, even
the local machine itself. I am getting the ip from
the site http://whatismyipaddress.com/ ; is there some
other (perhaps local) ip address I should be using?

Ulvi

snarlydwarf
2006-12-04, 12:30
I will assume you have a router between your computers and your cable/dsl modem. This is normal behavior but it can be a bit confusing. Basically most cable/dsl providers only give you one IP number and router makers know this: so they use what is call NAT (Network Address Translation) to fake things.

Basically, everything on your network will have a number like 192.168.0.3 or something and the router will, when a packet goes to the internet, change that to be its own IP number, and then when it gets a reply, it will remember "oh, I changed that HTTP request from 192.168.0.3 to my IP, let me put 192.168.0.3 back in the packet where my IP is, and send it on" Effectively it is an IP-layer proxy.

This means that web sites outside your network will see the IP of the router, not your real address, unless you convince your router to forward the packets. But we don't need to worry about that (I hope :P) since I gather both the server and the client IP are on the same network.

You can, assuming Windows, look up the server IP in your networking settings. But I will assume you are using DHCP to dynamically assign addresses, so that may change...

That's okay if both the server and the client are running windows: assuming you named the server (again, in your Windows networking setup) something like "Server", you should be able to go to http://server:9000/ and let the Windows networking stuff handle the name lookups. It will be the same name of the machine as you see in Network Neighborhood or whatever MS calls it this week.

bergek
2006-12-04, 12:32
The IP you are seeing is the external IP address of your router. Without knowing how your network looks I am willing to bet that your home network uses one of the private network ranges available for use (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x or 192.168.x.x) and that your router handles IP assignment for all your computers. Whenever you access something on the Internet, your router translates the internal (private) IP address of the computer your are using into your (single) public IP address (together with something called a port number). When the respons returns to you, the router uses the port number to translate back so that the data is sent to the correct internal computer. In short it is said to NAT (Network Address Translation).

It might be possible to access the Slimserver via the IP address you use but it requires the router to be able to "loop-back" the data sent from an internal computer to the external IP address but really intended for an internal computer. Even if this is possible you should realise the security implications as your server would also be accessible to anyone on the Internet. Best bet is to use the internal IP address instead.

There are many ways to get the IP address of your Windows XP box but one is to do this:

1) Press "Start" and select "Run..."
2) Type "cmd" and then press Enter
3) Type "ipconfig" and then press Enter.

You will see four lines for every network device on your system. One will be the IP address you should use.

There are also services on Windows that would enable you to just type the computer name of your server. However, I am not sure if OS X has the necessary client support. There are other methods as well but the above is probably easiest for you.

Note that the IP address of your server is probably dynamic (unless you have entered it yourself) and don't be surprised if it changes if you turn all your equipment off and then on again.

snarlydwarf
2006-12-04, 12:32
Oops just noticed you are trying to connect from a Mac... I don't know if a Mac will do WINS lookups (I know that a Mac is more than capable of handling Windows filesharing, so it should have the capability of doing that, but it really is a silly microsoftism).

You may need to look up the IP number of the server on its networking settings.

ulvi
2006-12-04, 12:40
OK, thanks to all who replied and noticed I
was being basically stupid by using my ISP's
dynamic IP. Of course I should be using the private
IP of the server machine as reported by ipconfig, and
when I do that it all works as supposed to.

Ulvi