PDA

View Full Version : SlimServer on Intel SS4000-E

Guldbrand
2006-12-04, 02:44
Is there anyone out there running SS on Intel SS4000-E NAS, Is it straight forward to install or is it quite complicated, and at last how does it perform?

ma_fo
2006-12-07, 04:18
Yes, i've managed to compile and install the SS for the
SS4000. Installation is a bit tricky since you must
compile the whole software for yourself. But i can send
you a precompiled package.

Performance: I think it depends of how you set up your
SS4000. I ran my SS4000 with a RAID5 and it was slow.
Maybe you could speed it up if you run a RAID1
on your SS4000.

Guldbrand
2006-12-07, 17:07
I havenít bought the NAS yet. I have been looking on Infrant ReadyNAS (687Ä), Synology CS-406 (555Ä) and the Intel SS4000-E (497Ä), all prices without HD . Comparing the Synology and the Intel they booth runs at 400Mhz, on different CPUís, the Intel come with 256MB RAM compared to the 128MB in Synology and at last the Intel is equipped with 2 LAN ports. Do I miss something or am I just getting more value for money if I buy the Intel SS4000 NAS?
I canít see what I get for the extra money spent on the Infrant NAS neither.
If I bye the Intel I will be pleased to get the compiled software later on.

ma_fo
2006-12-08, 03:08
Before you are going to buy a SS4000 please take a look
here: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/network/Intel-RAID-NAS-Makes-Grade-ftopict21360.html
I myself had a lot of trouble with the SS4000...

dc11ab
2006-12-09, 02:14
I had three similar candidates for my NAS-choice for SlimServer: the Intel one, Synology's CS406 and the ReadyNAS. All three have pro's and con's but as for me I'm very happy with the Synology CubeStation. Thank's to flipflip's SSODS package I have a stabile install of SlimServer and I have made some other tweaks to the NAS-server as well.

Looking at the tech specs I'd opt for the Intel NAS. From a support perspective (if you're not a power user) the ReadyNAS could be a preferrable choice as it comes with SS pre-configured out of the box.

In between I find the Synology CS406:
- The most quiet machine of the three, fairly priced/performance with tweaking/hacking possibilities for those who wish to customize (it runs a distro based on BusyBox). And yes, it looks good too!
The ReadyNAS soon became uninteresting in my comparison. I was close to choose the Intel NAS but I found that the Synology had a more active community, which is important for me as I'm a Linux newbie - "motivated but still not skilled" :-)

Synologys official support forum is also alive and getting busy (recently opened) and the moderators seem to be opened minded and allow for discussions about hacks and tweaks.

Good luck with your choice!

chrwil
2007-03-07, 19:40

ma_fo,

Would appreciate the package and any guidance (for a linux novice) in how to install this.

Does anybody else have experience of SS on the SS4000E?

Thanks, Chris

reddwarfusa
2007-05-02, 05:39
I would appreciate any support and compiled software you have too. I have an SS4000-e with 2 TB of music and video and would like to add slimserver. Let me know

Thanks

iceeni
2007-05-29, 05:09
Hi - I too would greatly appreciate any support and software you can provide for installing on an Intel SS4000-E

Many Thanks

lanwater
2007-10-17, 21:55

Performance: I think it depends of how you set up your
SS4000. I ran my SS4000 with a RAID5 and it was slow.
Maybe you could speed it up if you run a RAID1
on your SS4000.

I would appreciate any info on compiling the package for the ss4000-e.

thanks