PDA

View Full Version : Basic Playlist Question

BBobley
2006-12-03, 19:18
I've been using Slimserver and Squeezeboxes for a few years now, but am only now trying out the playlists. Forgive me if these questions are a bit basic.

In the SlimServer server config, I have my playlist folder set to "E:\playlists" (Windows is the OS). Today I added some songs to one of my Squeezeboxes and used the web-based interface to save the playlist. I can now "browse" and see and play the playlist. Oddly, though, if I look in "E:\playlists" there is nothing there. I had expected to see a .M3U file in there or something similar. Where is the playlist actually stored? I had been hoping to see how Slim formatted the playlist file so that I could create more of them in a text editor and then drop them into the playlist folder. Am I missing something here?

thanks

Brett

ceejay
2006-12-04, 01:06
Something odd here... if you have created and can see a playlist called "foo" then there should be a file "foo.m3u" in your playlists directory, as you suggested. Have you tried doing a "Search" from Windows Explorer for "*.m3u" in case there is some confusion about locations?

Ceejay

peter
2006-12-04, 03:02
BBobley wrote:
> I've been using Slimserver and Squeezeboxes for a few years now, but am
> only now trying out the playlists. Forgive me if these questions are a
> bit basic.
>
> In the SlimServer server config, I have my playlist folder set to
> "E:\playlists" (Windows is the OS). Today I added some songs to one
> of my Squeezeboxes and used the web-based interface to save the
> playlist. I can now "browse" and see and play the playlist. Oddly,
> though, if I look in "E:\playlists" there is nothing there. I had
> expected to see a .M3U file in there or something similar. Where is
> the playlist actually stored? I had been hoping to see how Slim
> formatted the playlist file so that I could create more of them in a
> text editor and then drop them into the playlist folder. Am I missing
> something here?
>
Click Start > Search > For files or folders

Type 'name of playlist.m3u'

Regards,
Peter

BBobley
2006-12-04, 11:36
BBobley wrote:
> I've been using Slimserver and Squeezeboxes for a few years now, but am
> only now trying out the playlists. Forgive me if these questions are a
> bit basic.
>
> In the SlimServer server config, I have my playlist folder set to
> "E:\playlists" (Windows is the OS). Today I added some songs to one
> of my Squeezeboxes and used the web-based interface to save the
> playlist. I can now "browse" and see and play the playlist. Oddly,
> though, if I look in "E:\playlists" there is nothing there. I had
> expected to see a .M3U file in there or something similar. Where is
> the playlist actually stored? I had been hoping to see how Slim
> formatted the playlist file so that I could create more of them in a
> text editor and then drop them into the playlist folder. Am I missing
> something here?
>
Click Start > Search > For files or folders

Type 'name of playlist.m3u'

Regards,
Peter

Yes, in fact that's the first thing I tried -- I searched my entire music library and didn't find it. I will try expanding my search -- perhaps Slimserver, for some odd reason, believes my playlist folder is located on some other drive? Thanks for your answer, though. At least I now know that it does indeed store it in a .M3U file. I was beginning to wonder if it was stored internally in a database or some such thing.

BBobley
2006-12-05, 16:57
Found it. I had accidentally created two playlist folders. My guess is one of them was from an earlier version of Slimserver. I was looking in the one in my music library. But Slim was (correctly) saving to the one on another drive. So now I found the .m3u file.

thanks.

azinck3
2006-12-05, 18:17
Yes, in fact that's the first thing I tried -- I searched my entire music library and didn't find it. I will try expanding my search -- perhaps Slimserver, for some odd reason, believes my playlist folder is located on some other drive? Thanks for your answer, though. At least I now know that it does indeed store it in a .M3U file. I was beginning to wonder if it was stored internally in a database or some such thing.

Actually, there was a period of time when I believe this was how it was done: server-created playlists were saved only in the DB. It was my first instinct when you mentioned you had been using SS for a while that perhaps you were running an old version of the server that still did it that way.