PDA

View Full Version : Cover Bands

Philip Meyer
2006-12-02, 16:50
Last night I saw some great cover bands at the Hexagon, Reading, UK. It was an event sponsored by The Acolyte (http://www.theacolyte.com/).

Dizzy Lizzy.
Been quite a few years since I listened to any Thin Lizzy, but these guys brought back some good memories. I have no clue how the lead guitarist got into his leather trousers ;-)

The Hampsters.
These guys do their own music, but tonight they did some amazing Hendrix covers (ZZ-Top too, but the Hendrix stuff just blows me away). Listening to Star Spangled Banner was like being beamed back in time to Woodstock...

Boot Led Zeppelin.
Wow. Amazing stuff. Not only did they fire off some great covers, but also had long improvised sections. No Quarter and Dazed and Confused were just fab. "Robert Plant" was really convincing. Some great organ work too (no - I'm not talking about Robert!).

I've seen some great cover bands over the years - ReGenesis performing the whole of the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway probably being the highlight, although I have also seen some class Pink Floyd cover bands - "Sheep", mainly concentrating on Animals period Floyd, and a theatrical production of the Wall performed with big bricks and all...

So, what worthwhile tribute bands am I missing in the UK at the moment?

Phil

Craig
2006-12-02, 18:00
Well I'd have to say my own band ;-) but I think the bands you mention are more 'Tribute' bands than 'Cover' bands.

Craig

steve4586
2006-12-04, 06:14
I would recommend seeing Willy Finlayson + the Hurters. The generally play west London/West of London. Excellent band and in the past the full band line has included Micky Mood, Bernie Marsden and Jon Lord. Line up does change, but Willy always has brilliant musicians in the Band.

that's if Willy is still going - it's been about 6 years since I last saw them (I live in West Wales now).

autopilot
2006-12-04, 06:37
i highly recommend this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cosmosonica-Crazy-Covers-Vol-1/dp/B0008KLVQO/sr=8-3/qid=1165239365/ref=pd_ka_3/026-1451332-1398015?ie=UTF8&s=music

Philip Meyer
2006-12-04, 18:09
>I would recommend seeing Willy Finlayson + the Hurters. The generally
>play west London/West of London. Excellent band and in the past the
>full band line has included Micky Mood, Bernie Marsden and Jon Lord.
>Line up does change, but Willy always has brilliant musicians in the
>Band.
>
>that's if Willy is still going - it's been about 6 years since I last
>saw them (I live in West Wales now).

I see he had some collaboration with Pete Bardons, which is a good thing.

I see they are playing soon at the Grey Horse in Kingston, which is where I first saw Regenesis. Quite a nice little place.

Unfortunately it's sunday 10th December and I am busy. But I'll keep an eye out.

Cheers,
Phil

Khuli
2006-12-05, 03:00
Dizzy Lizzy.
Been quite a few years since I listened to any Thin Lizzy, but these guys brought back some good memories.
I can recommend Limehouse Lizzy too!