PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeBox spoted in retail store

SuperQ
2006-12-02, 10:07
I was wandering into Magnolia HiFi in Palo Alto last night to waste some time waiting for my sweetie to show up for dinner. And in the front section of the store they had a SqueezeBox and a Logitech branded info card hooked up to this setup:

* Marantz PM-15S1 Reference Integrated Amp
* Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor speakers

I guess they had just installed it this week, but were having problems with their mediacenter PC. I don't know the exact story was, but somehow slimserver was not starting up properly, the event viewer showed that something was messed up with the mysql database, so I simply un-installed it, but that didn't clear the files, they were locked open so I rebooted the machine, wiped the Program Files dir, and then re-installed with 6.5.1. Now their setup is working again, and one of the sales guys thanked me for fixing it, he was supposed to give a demo to other sales people today.

Glad to see the squeezebox exposed to a wider audience!

Skunk
2006-12-02, 10:12
Ha, they probably thought you were a genius. Nice work though.

If this thing gets popular enough I'm gonna start a 'geek squad' for Squeezebox.

Jez
2006-12-02, 11:13
I guess they had just installed it this week, but were having problems with their mediacenter PC. I don't know the exact story was, but somehow slimserver was not starting up properly, the event viewer showed that something was messed up with the mysql database, so I simply un-installed it, but that didn't clear the files, they were locked open so I rebooted the machine, wiped the Program Files dir, and then re-installed with 6.5.1. Now their setup is working again, and one of the sales guys thanked me for fixing it, he was supposed to give a demo to other sales people today.

Glad to see the squeezebox exposed to a wider audience!

Thanks so much for helping these guys out. We have just started with Magnolia and unfortunately can't physically get round to every store to mak sure they are up and running. Most of the guys I trained this week by phone said they had tried the product and got up and running very quickly, but there's always one or two that come up with something unexpected.

Hopefully the sort of folks visiting Magnolia are the right audience to 'get it' as far as our products go. Satisified customers like you can only help the Magnolia staff realize that we have a good product worth promoting to more of their customers.

Thanks again.

SuperQ
2006-12-02, 11:43
Hopefully the sort of folks visiting Magnolia are the right audience to 'get it' as far as our products go. Satisified customers like you can only help the Magnolia staff realize that we have a good product worth promoting to more of their customers.

Thanks again.

I think one of the issues is that they're picking a random PC in their store, like this vaio windows media center box to run their slimserver. If you're going to ship them a demo station, you should probably include something like the infrant, maybe pre-loaded with some FLAC files.. or atleast give them instructions on how to use EAC too. It's nice to get them familiar with the product via trial by fire, but probably not the best way to impress sales people.

notanatheist
2006-12-03, 15:25
I'll have a demo in the computer shop I help run this week. I'm hoping to target some of the homeowners around us ($500,000+ houses). Also have a good relationship with the "Stereo Store" here in Eugene OR so we can push business back and forth. I suppose I'll have to play with Slimserver on Windows but I'll also work to do linux boxes for people preset with GRIP, Cowbell, and any other programs for ripping, encoding, and tagging music.