PDA

View Full Version : AlienBBC: What do you listen to?

fairyliquidizer
2006-12-02, 08:40
Hi!

I have been neglecting AlienBBC but suddenly decided to check if some of my favourite programs from Radio Scotland are on "Listen Again" and they are :)

A couple of things crossed my mind when browsing:

1. What do you guys listen to on AlienBBC (especially interested in stories from outside the UK)? What would you recommend and why?

2. While looking at the Radio Scotland Listen Again archive it crossed my mind that few people would look there who weren't Scottish so I thought I'd point out that there is a great programme called Songlines which goes into one song each week and explores it's meaning and influence. The songs vary between blues, rock, folk, country, and encompass all sorts of interesting tales. I strongly recommend listening to it. (One of my favourite Songlines programmes was about "St. James Infirmary Blues")

3. The other thing that I would suggest is having a browse if you are interested in Jazz, Country, or Folk as there are specific programmes on Radio Scotland listen again that deal with these subjects as well as more general music programmes.

Cheers,
Fairy

dusura
2006-12-02, 16:14
I would recommend the following:

- Melvyn Bragg's "In Our Time" (Radio 4)
- Steve Lamacq's Roundtable where they talk about new releases (though maybe this show has been canned 'cos it seems to have disappeared from my menu) (Radio 6)
- Courtney Pine's "Jazz Crusade" (Radio 2)

fairyliquidizer
2006-12-02, 18:42
I would recommend the following:

- Melvyn Bragg's "In Our Time" (Radio 4)
- Steve Lamacq's Roundtable where they talk about new releases (though maybe this show has been canned 'cos it seems to have disappeared from my menu) (Radio 6)
- Courtney Pine's "Jazz Crusade" (Radio 2)

I usually listen to "Just a Minute" and "The News Quiz" on Radio 4 :) I'll give these a try though. I tend to listen to speech based programmes on R4. They do produce some excellent output.

RalphO
2006-12-03, 20:43
Hi!

I have been neglecting AlienBBC but suddenly decided to check if some of my favourite programs from Radio Scotland are on "Listen Again" and they are :)

A couple of things crossed my mind when browsing:

1. What do you guys listen to on AlienBBC (especially interested in stories from outside the UK)? What would you recommend and why?

2. While looking at the Radio Scotland Listen Again archive it crossed my mind that few people would look there who weren't Scottish so I thought I'd point out that there is a great programme called Songlines which goes into one song each week and explores it's meaning and influence. The songs vary between blues, rock, folk, country, and encompass all sorts of interesting tales. I strongly recommend listening to it. (One of my favourite Songlines programmes was about "St. James Infirmary Blues")

3. The other thing that I would suggest is having a browse if you are interested in Jazz, Country, or Folk as there are specific programmes on Radio Scotland listen again that deal with these subjects as well as more general music programmes.

Cheers,
Fairy

My wife and I are Brits living in the US and AlienBBC has become very important to us, for instance:

-she has to listen to the Archers on listen again every day

-we both listen to Mike Harding's folk program

-I listen to a lot of sport (however I am annoyed that any Premiership matches are blocked for listeners outside the UK).

I must also add we had a great time listening to the last night of the proms sitting in the garden, which we decorated with flags.

Cheers

chris.mason
2006-12-04, 08:46
Test Match Special on Radio Five Live Sports Extra, and also the podcast they produce for us Brits who can't stay up all night (although the podcast is not via AlienBBC of course). Otherwise, lots of Radio 4.

Limping_Pylon
2006-12-13, 16:50
From Listen Again...
Essential listening, no week is complete without these, IMHO

1. From our own correspondent (current affairs)
The jouralists in the field present candid thoughts and opinions that flesh out the news reports from all over the world. The last piece I heard from a Baghdad journalist was a huge eye opener.

2. I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue (comedy)
some brilliant programs, some just good, but they always bring a laugh or two. Often worth hearing just for Humphrey Lyttelton's introductory monologues.