PDA

View Full Version : The ultimate (mid-range) combination?

downtime
2006-12-02, 07:50
I've been using Slimserver for a while now and have installed, uninstalled, re-installed, and tried quite a few combinations of music, playlist generators, & players. Here is what I have come up with as my favorite affordable software combination. I am curious to hear other's combinations. I'd like to stay away from discussions of computers and stereos because they can add so much to the cost. Maybe there should also be a low-range and high-range thread also.

Here's what I use to my satisfaction:

1. A music collection that includes most of my favorites in a few genres, some tunes I don't know but have been recommended to me, some tracks I definitely don't like (to clear the palette).

2. MusicIP Mixer to generate interesting and provocative playlists.

3. Slimserver.

4. A Squeezebox (which I suppose is a piece of stereo equipment, but so integral to the whole combination, that I couldn't leave it out).

5. Moose to display album art when I'm not using my PC for other stuff.

What would you add or delete?

MelonMonkey
2006-12-02, 09:16
Super Date&Time so when you're not watching VU meters or song titles on your SB you can see the time and weather.

QuickAccess to instantly jump to playlists.

Modify custom.map to enable a one or more buttons to instantly activate a random mix - though I suppose your MusicIP selections will do this in a not-as-random fashion.

There are a couple of other plugins I'm evaluating right now but can't recommend until I know I'm satisfied.

deserttaxguy
2006-12-02, 21:39
I havent used any plug-ins yet, so I am a complete novice.
Thanks for the thoughts because I was only using VU meter
screen saver and I'm going to try Super Date and time just
because you said so.!!
This community is great for passing on so many tips.
Thanks again.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-06, 11:47
Mp3tag (http://www.mp3tag.de/en).

You'll need it sooner or later.

ModelCitizen
2006-12-06, 13:04
Michael Herger's plugins.
Biography Screensaver
Album Review Screensaver
MusicInfo errr... thingy

Plus of course the unbeatable AlienBBC (now all we need is the BBC to buy more bandwidth)

and I'll second MP3Tag... and a short mention for EAC with flac.

Other than that... well.... BitTorrent is quite useful too.

MC

MelonMonkey
2006-12-06, 17:09
I'm going to jump back in with a question. Can MP3Tag add/edit TSOP and TSOA tags? They're Performer and Album sort strings. I have not found any info yet on what tagger programs can actually add/edit these tags.

The interface for MP3Tag looked decent, unfortunately I no longer use a Windows machine as my main system. Super unfortunate is that there is not one (not a single) tagger for Mac OS that is usable at any price.

JJZolx
2006-12-06, 18:11
I'm going to jump back in with a question. Can MP3Tag add/edit TSOP and TSOA tags? They're Performer and Album sort strings. I have not found any info yet on what tagger programs can actually add/edit these tags.

The interface for MP3Tag looked decent, unfortunately I no longer use a Windows machine as my main system. Super unfortunate is that there is not one (not a single) tagger for Mac OS that is usable at any price.
Yes. See Mp3tag's Help > Names and mapping of ID3v2 tag fields. The names to use in Mp3tag for the fields are PERFORMERSORTORDER and ALBUMSORTORDER, respectively.

Unfortunately, if you regularly work with different music file types, these names don't map to the desired tag names in Flac files (actually, SlimServer may recognize one or both of them, but I've never sorted through the code and never seen either one mentioned). ALBUMSORT and ARTISTSORT (or 'ALBUM SORT' and 'ARTIST SORT', depending on who you want to believe) are more correct. I have a number of Mp3tag Action Groups defined that can be used on either mp3 or Flac files. It takes some doing, though, with IF() clauses based on file extensions.