PDA

View Full Version : Indexing problem

morberg
2006-12-01, 12:02
Hi, happy new owner of a SB3 here. I have one small problem with slimserver 6.5.0: when I've indexed my collection (some 13.000 songs) a few items are not indexed properly. Instead of Artist they have the top folder name and instead of Album they have the folder name.

Might be hard to understand, so here's an example. On my hard drive I have the following structure:

music\TheArtist - TheAlbum (1999)\01. FirstSong.mp3

The mp3 properties of FirstSong are correctly showing TheArtist in the Artist field and so on. But in my slimserver index the song is shown as song: "FirstSong" from "TheArtist - TheAlbum (1999) by "music". Only some songs from TheAlbum are incorrectly indexed, the rest are correct. (And yes, the mp3 tags are consistent across TheAlbum - I'm pretty anal about keeping them in check.)

Only five-six songs in total have been incorrectly indexed.

Is this a known bug? Is there a way to delete indexed albums and rescan for new and added items? (I've rebuilt the entire database once; don't know if the problem was there before the latest rebuild.)

kdf
2006-12-01, 12:10
Quoting morberg <morberg.2i5i2b1164999901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> Is this a known bug? Is there a way to delete indexed albums and rescan
> for new and added items? (I've rebuilt the entire database once; don't
> know if the problem was there before the latest rebuild.)

What you have described sounds like the files in questions are showing
as having no tags. Thus, the server falls to the GuessTags feature,
which will try to find a best fit given the path and filename and
formats given in the preferences. If these files DO have tags, then
double check that they are complete and don't have conflicting info
(ID3 v1/v2 and APE tags, for example.)

There was also a known problem with some tags when using 6.5.0. These
are fixed in 6.5.1 builds, so you could consider trying that:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

-kdf

morberg
2006-12-01, 12:25
If these files DO have tags, then
double check that they are complete and don't have conflicting info
(ID3 v1/v2 and APE tags, for example.)
Checked v1/v2 and they are consistent. Don't think my tag editor Tag Tools 1.2 (or XP for that matter?) has support for APE, at least I can't find it there.

There was also a known problem with some tags when using 6.5.0. These
are fixed in 6.5.1 builds, so you could consider trying that:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html
It seems weird that only some tracks are affected when other tracks from the same album are correctly indexed. Is there any more info on the tag problems in 6.5.0?

How is the stability of the nightlies? I'm pretty happy with 6.5.0 so far and would not like anything to break my current setup.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.

ceejay
2006-12-01, 12:29
6.5.1 is very stable, its working well for me and a lot of others. As aways there is a small risk that in any given nightly something weird is broken but there will always be another one along 24 hrs later...

7.0 is the one to avoid at the moment.

Ceejay

Dougal
2006-12-01, 12:46
Hi,
I have had similar issues with mp3 id3 tags that looked ok in the tag editor but would not show properly in ss. I fixed them by completely removing all tags from the offending tracks, saving and then repopulating the v2 tags only. Invisible corruption?
Doug.

MelonMonkey
2006-12-01, 12:48
In my experience the indexing has all kinds of odd little issues. I've had to strip the ID3 tags from some songs completely and then re-do them with iTunes to make them show up properly.

That said, use 6.5.1 - it's been stable in the sense of not having the problems people have been constantly complaining about in 6.5.0.

To re-index, don't pick rescan and don't do a clear and scan. Delete the whole library database and let Slimserver build it all from scratch. It's the only way I found to be reliable.

With the newest 6.5.1 releases (Nov 29 for instance) I have in fact done successful rescan and clean and scan operations, so I don't know if something was fixed or if it was just chance.

I've also just started using the Fishbone skin and holy Moses, is it way better than the default skin. That's subjective I supose, but I just find it a lot more intuitive and better laid out. usability went up by at least a factor of 5.

ModelCitizen
2006-12-01, 13:33
I've also just started using the Fishbone skin and holy Moses, is it way better than the default skin. That's subjective I suppose, but I just find it a lot more intuitive and better laid out. usability went up by at least a factor of 5.
I hope you've tried the Tan Fishbone skin (see Help/Fishbone Skin style changes). It's functional... and pretty!
I can't work out why it's not the default skin and SlimDevices are still pushing that thing that looks like it was designed in the days of Netscape 0.96.
MC

morberg
2006-12-01, 13:45
Installed 6.5.1 from dec 1 (some minor glitches with SlimTray during installation, but easily fixed). Rescan did not help, but clear and rescan (without deleting library database) seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for the fishbone tip, a tad dark for my taste (will try the tan version now) but very functional. I especially like that the search function is always available.

MelonMonkey
2006-12-02, 09:18
I've already started making mods to the Fishbone CSS to make some improvements. I was wondering how to enable the other color schemes, but hadn't thought to check the help. :)

I just looked at them and unfortunately I'm not a fan of the Tan scheme. There are too many style changes I'd have to make to get it the way I'd prefer. Starting with the default is a little cleaner for making style changes.

I've already adjusted the font sizes for various elements, changed the highlighting in the letter bar and will next adjust the line heights, get rid of all the red and then probably work on an over-all palette change. Just small stuff as I don't have any time I can really sink into giving any skin a big overhaul. I also don't know enough about the communication with the server to be able to make one from scratch right now.

Oh, back on topic. Glad to know the clean and rescan is working for you morberg.