PDA

View Full Version : Moving between networks?

schugh
2006-12-01, 11:03
If I want to move a squeezebox between networks, say my home router based network with slimserver on my desktop machine and my office ad-hoc network using my laptop, will squeezebox remember network settings such as WPA/WPE keys? Or will I have to re-enter some information such as the keys?

I was thinking I might at times want to take the squeezebox back and forth between the home and the office and it would be nice if this was a seemless process.

Thanks,

-- Sanjay

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-04, 20:06
It will only remember the last passphrase you used.

If it encounters an SSID it's connected to earlier, it won't remember the passphrase it used before to connect.

ceejay
2006-12-05, 01:17
Right now its a case of put up with reconfiguring, or buy another SB! But it sounds like a reasonable enhancement request to me - why don't you log one at bugzilla? Give some thought as to how you'd like it to work.

Perhaps, under the SB Settings menu, have an option to Save Network Settings in one of - say - four different memory slots. Then, on startup, as well as the sequence to configure the network have an additional option to "Restore Network Settings" from one of the four slots.

For extra credit allow the user to give the slots friendly names.

For top marks, have a facility to upload the settings to the server for backup so that they can be recovered after a factory reset on the SB.

Ceejay

oreillymj
2006-12-05, 06:21
For extra top marks, the SB hacks your wireless network to re-connect to the server (to retrieve the saved config) without you supplying the network setup. ;-)

ceejay
2006-12-05, 15:20
For extra top marks, the SB hacks your wireless network to re-connect to the server (to retrieve the saved config) without you supplying the network setup. ;-)

Hmm, you might be on to something there... on startup, break into as many wireless networks as you can find (unprotected or just WEP), look for Slimserver instances, and pick the one with the best selection of music...

Ceejay

iSix
2006-12-05, 15:51
Hmm, you might be on to something there... on startup, break into as many wireless networks as you can find (unprotected or just WEP), look for Slimserver instances, and pick the one with the best selection of music...

Ceejay

I'm already working on a plugin to do this.... ;)

oreillymj
2006-12-05, 16:03
I'm sure if enough people vote for it, it will be considered as an enhancement ;-)