PDA

View Full Version : How can I get SS on to QNAP TS101 bare server

Gerry
2006-12-01, 10:24
I just realised that the TS101 I have been given as an early Christmas present does not have SS installed. How can I achieve this? I understand that the downloads on the www.progressiveav.com site are for servers with SS already installed.

davidcotton
2006-12-01, 10:32
Either by waiting until progressive release the self install package that they've been promising for a while which will cost, or by getting in touch with ultra to see if its possible to send it to progressiveav to have it installed.

Gerry
2006-12-01, 10:44
Thanks for the advice, seems that my daughter and I made a big mistake and got the wrong version. I will try along the lines you suggested.

markus
2006-12-01, 19:10
Thanks for the advice, seems that my daughter and I made a big mistake and got the wrong version. I will try along the lines you suggested.

I made the same mistake about a month ago, but luckily the retailer I brought the QNAP off, would return it.

I'm still looking for the right NAS solution... however I'm starting to suspect the crappy old notebook (dedicated) I'm using at the moment with attached external USB drive is going to offer me the best solution until these NAS server get a little more RAM inside.

Markus.

Gerry
2006-12-02, 13:16
I am hopeful that I can also return my QNAP. That seems to be my best solution. I thought we were getting the coerect version as we had followed the link from the QNAP web site. This took us to the main UK distributor (Ultimate Storage) however a brief conversation (post delivery) with their technical expert made it clear that they did not appear to support the SS software version. If they will refund us then I can purchase the correct version that includes the SS from another supplier. I hope others can learn from our mistakes and make sure that they purchase the products that say 'QNAP with Slimserver'