PDA

View Full Version : Transporter arrived but...

Wombat
2006-11-29, 14:51
Finally after hunting this thing around here in germany for some weeks it was delivered.
Something is wrong or i am only to dump to set it up?
Here is the humming it produces. Fresh out of the box recorded via my soundcard.
Is it D.O.A.?

ModelCitizen
2006-11-29, 15:03
Mine makes a much more musical sound than that... with no noise whatsoever.
Set it up properly and then see.
Otherwise contact technical suppport.
Sorry.
MC

Wombat
2006-11-29, 15:08
Nothing i can do... Just connected to Power and Line-Out.
So it must be broken! Lucky me. If bet they even canīt exchange it cause it was pretty rare in stock and back and forth shipping will take me at least 10 days...
Fu&%3*!!

btw.

Mine makes a much more musical sound than that...
grrrrr.

mherger
2006-11-29, 15:21
> Nothing i can do... Just connected to Power and Line-Out.

Check antenna cables to your tuner (remove them for a test). I had
terrible hum before I added a filter.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

tbessie
2006-11-29, 15:33
Could this be your problem?

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/avhardware/groundloopcableTV.php

- Tim

stinkingpig
2006-11-29, 15:40
On 11/29/06, Wombat
<Wombat.2i20ln1164837301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Finally after hunting this thing around here in germany for some weeks
> it was delivered.
> Something is wrong or i am only to dump to set it up?
> Here is the humming it produces. Fresh out of the box recorded via my
> soundcard.
> Is it D.O.A.?
>

Nope, that's a ground loop. http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Ground-Loops/

First make sure you don't have a rat's nest of cable behind the stereo
causing cross-talk -- I solved my last ground loop problem by bundling
each cable up with a zip tie. (And I do mean rat's nest.... server,
CRT monitor, printer, tivoli model two plus subwoofer, Squeezebox 2,
fm and am antennas, two ethernet switches, two wireless routers,
printer, three laptops, cisco router, three power strips, and assorted
USB geegaws.)

Next, follow the tips in that article.

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Wombat
2006-11-29, 15:41
Not exactly. There is no TV cable near. but it for sure has something to to with this ground loop. I tried it in 2 different rooms and setups. Sound varies but never goes away.

seanadams
2006-11-29, 15:58
Finally after hunting this thing around here in germany for some weeks it was delivered.
Something is wrong or i am only to dump to set it up?
Here is the humming it produces. Fresh out of the box recorded via my soundcard.
Is it D.O.A.?

Sounds like 50Hz line hum... have you tried it in two completely different systems? I am guessing since you recorded with your sound card that it was a separate enviornment from your hifi?

In the firmware setup menu please see View Current Settings -> AC Line Voltage. Do you have a reasonable reading? (i.e. 230-240V).

Also make sure Transporter is on the same grounded power strip as your receiver.

If you call tech support they may be able to walk you through it a little better and hopefully pinpoint the problem.

Wombat
2006-11-29, 16:02
Well. There are only my monoblocks and the Transporter plugged in my living room -> humming
In my Pc-Room i tried to disconnect everything but the pieces i need for testing. Transporter to PC -> humming. I have a TV card in my PC. When attaching an antenna the humming changes!
So i doubt i can do something at all..
Other pieces donīt do this so it must be a fault in the Transporter.

Just saw your reply Seanadams. It shows 229VAC.

seanadams
2006-11-29, 16:09
Can you see what happens if you float (disconnect) Transporter's ground? One way to do this is to break the ground pin off of a spare power cord or a cheap power strip.

Wombat
2006-11-29, 16:16
Can you see what happens if you float (disconnect) Transporter's ground? One way to do this is to break the ground pin off of a spare power cord or a cheap power strip.

Just was at it :) works!! Is it dangerous?

Edit:
When i see this right there somewhere in our house is something on Ground that interferes with the Transporter but no other things? I just rescued an old BB-D/A converter from the ceiling that has this classical grounding also but it produces no hum.

pfarrell
2006-11-29, 16:29
Wombat wrote:
>> One way to do this is to break the ground pin off of a spare power cord
>> or a cheap power strip.
>
> Just was at it :) works!! Is it dangerous?

You bet it can be dangerous, and against electrical code in countries
with three pin wiring. But once you have verified the problem, you
can start chasing down the ground loop in legal and safe ways.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

Wombat
2006-11-29, 17:07
> Nothing i can do... Just connected to Power and Line-Out.

Check antenna cables to your tuner (remove them for a test). I had
terrible hum before I added a filter.

Did you have this humming problem the first time with the Transporter?

Edit:
I give up. Just got one extension lead in my bedroom attached directly to the wall and only plugged in the Transporter and one monoblock. I attached a speaker and it is humming :( Have to sleep now. cya

mherger
2006-11-30, 01:03
>> Check antenna cables to your tuner (remove them for a test). I had
>> terrible hum before I added a filter.
>
> Did you have this humming problem the first time with the Transporter?

Yes I did. I then removed all other connections from the tuner/amp and the
problem was gone. I have the TV and an FM antenna cable connected to the
tuner. As the TV is connected to the amp I had the hum from there as well.
Transporter is the only device in the chain using grounding. I was told
this was a known problem.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR

MrSinatra
2006-11-30, 11:39
not sure if this relates... but,

i am redoing the wiring in my house. i have new 200amp service now, well grounded, and need to only do new wires and plugs to different rooms, etc...

i have been told that it is best to separate equipment per breaker, so TV and vcr/dvd/tivo on one breaker, stereo stuff on another, and computer on another, and so on... and this is worth doing even if all the breakers go back to the same box.

1. is this true?
2. in the "dream scenario" would u separate each component to its own breaker?
3. what equipment, in more standard configurations than a dream setup, can u create and still get benefit from? (what are good combinations of equipment on fewer breakers?)

also, at my radio station, we've used something called isolation transformers to kill hum, but i suppose that isn't practical for home use, BUT what does anyone think of putting a local UPS, like an APC 1500va (with voltage regulation) between the outlet and the equipment? (good for battery backup, but also good for clean power?)

if this is all crazy talk, please ignore. :) -mdw

Wombat
2006-11-30, 11:54
Some news! Redone my setup with my 230V isolation transformer and different ideas. The Ground isnīt the problem i have to admit in the hifi setup. Maybe on the PC setup it was.
It is my Monoblocks!! They seem to swing up or react to something i donīt know yet.
I dedusted my old, bipolar monoblocks and it works without a problem.
So thanks for your help so far boys :)
Next step is to go to the lab next week and try to check why they behave this way.
At this time i will also be able to hook the Tranny up to an Avantgarde Trio enviroment and have a deep listen :)
As far as i still know the sound of my old bipolars the Tranny is shocking good!

A happy Wombat!

SuperQ
2006-11-30, 12:53
not sure if this relates... but,

i am redoing the wiring in my house. i have new 200amp service now, well grounded, and need to only do new wires and plugs to different rooms, etc...

i have been told that it is best to separate equipment per breaker, so TV and vcr/dvd/tivo on one breaker, stereo stuff on another, and computer on another, and so on... and this is worth doing even if all the breakers go back to the same box.

1. is this true?
2. in the "dream scenario" would u separate each component to its own breaker?
3. what equipment, in more standard configurations than a dream setup, can u create and still get benefit from? (what are good combinations of equipment on fewer breakers?)

also, at my radio station, we've used something called isolation transformers to kill hum, but i suppose that isn't practical for home use, BUT what does anyone think of putting a local UPS, like an APC 1500va (with voltage regulation) between the outlet and the equipment? (good for battery backup, but also good for clean power?)

if this is all crazy talk, please ignore. :) -mdw

when I was doing remodeling of my house a couple years ago I did a few things to improve the electrical. (I was a certified low-voltage tech at the time, and I know a bit about medium voltage equipment)

The first thing I did was separate my house ground from the water pipes. Like a friend of mine, who put a plastic insulator on his water main found, other homes were pushing 5 amps across his water main into his ground.. it's amazing what the electrical is like in an early 1900s area. I didn't go to that extreme, but I did run my box ground to it's own earth ground.

The second thing I did was run separate ground lines from the mains panel even tho I had steel conduit for the whole house. This helps properly ground each box, and if you ever have a poorly seated conduit pipe, there is less chance of losing your ground.

I don't think you need to separate the breakers for every piece of equipment, as long as all your stuff is grounded properly, things should be fine. If you're really worried, you can get a tripp lite isobar, or isolation transformer:

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=227

Eventualy I wanted to move my house over to an on-line central UPS. That way the mains come in and goto DC and back to AC.. it's kinda inefficient, but you get really clean power.

Wombat
2006-12-04, 09:54
Please kill me! I had to surrender without my good monoblocks and the Transporter for some days cause of my dullness :(
When we build the blocks in an aluminium tube housing we simply forgot to couple ground to earth inside. Yesterday night i corrected this and now i am glued to my listening sofa :)
Like others i never had that much added details in swapping a piece of my equipment that obvious. I didnīt know my speakers are able to produce that clean bass. This is the second thing that immediately comes to my ears after the fine added details i never spotted before. Percussion is dramtically improved and recording like Jazz at the Pawnshop seem to have infinite resolution and grow with every improvement you do to your system.
Sadly my setup and room donīt give me the chance to have the full imaging other places offer.
The only thing i am not exactly able to get is the sound of the highs. It sounds extremely precise and fits to the clean sound altogether but some sweetness is missing or i simply have to acclimatice with them...
maybe some ths4031 ;)

Feeling great now btw. :)

Edit: Cause of the grounding problem i may have been one of the persons that spotted humming already with the Squeezy and its switching power-supply i also once reported over here.

SuperQ
2006-12-04, 22:58
When we build the blocks in an aluminium tube housing we simply forgot to couple ground to earth inside. Yesterday night i corrected this and now i am glued to my listening sofa :)

And the electrical engineers and inspectors rejoiced at the proper grounding. :)