PDA

View Full Version : Transporter: Will it allow DSP (e.g. room correction) purely in digital domain?



Mike Anderson
2006-11-29, 00:38
I seem to recall a thread about this somewhere, but now I can't find it, and I don't believe this question was finally answered anyway, so:

Is it possible with the Transporter to put a digital signal processor (e.g. a Behringer DEQ2496 unit to do room correction) purely in the digital signal path by using the digital I&Os in a manner similar to a tape loop?

I'd like to get a Transporter and take advantage of the high quality DAC etc, but I really need to be able to do room correction because of my room. I'd buy one if I knew this was possible.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-29, 15:55
Not currently possible, but there's considerable interest in it (from Sean himself) so maybe in the future.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=28259

Couldn't find the thread where Sean expressed interest in the looping idea. It's one of the early ones. IIRC he has a TacT that he'd like to use for this?

Mike Anderson
2006-11-29, 21:14
Aha, thanks for the links, I knew those threads were out there somewhere.

However, one thing that's still unclear to me: Is the Transporter's hardware capable of doing this (i.e. is it just a matter of a firmware update)?

I know one of the posters makes that assumption based on Sean Adams' post, but it isn't obvious to me that this conclusion necessarily follows from the statement he made.

If Slim Devices says, "Yes, the hardware will allow for it, and yes, a firmware upgrade to do this is in the foreseeable future," I'll order a Transporter tomorrow. Otherwise I will wait, because with my room, I really need something that will do this.

radish
2006-11-30, 07:09
I'm pretty sure that the hardware is capable of it, if only for the reason that Sean didn't dismiss the idea out of hand. He's usually pretty quick at saying something isn't possible if it isn't. On the other hand, they're also pretty good at not promising new features until they're done :)

Mike Anderson
2006-11-30, 21:20
Well then, can someone from SD at least confirm that the hardware makes it possible, without confirming that a firmware fix is in the works?

Mike Anderson
2006-12-03, 16:39
Come on now, surely someone from SD can at least say if it's possible?

totoro
2006-12-03, 16:52
I seem to recall a thread about this somewhere, but now I can't find it, and I don't believe this question was finally answered anyway, so:

Is it possible with the Transporter to put a digital signal processor (e.g. a Behringer DEQ2496 unit to do room correction) purely in the digital signal path by using the digital I&Os in a manner similar to a tape loop?

I'd like to get a Transporter and take advantage of the high quality DAC etc, but I really need to be able to do room correction because of my room. I'd buy one if I knew this was possible.

What about giving drc in software a spin (inguz if you're on windows, highdudgeon has a thread about doing it on the mac, and I saw a thread somewhere about using brutefir with inguz on linux).

Ben Sandee
2006-12-03, 17:41
On 12/3/06, Mike Anderson <
Mike.Anderson.2i9k4n1165189201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Come on now, surely someone from SD can at least say if it's possible?


They tend to (wisely, imho) avoid making predictions about what the future
holds.

Ben

Mike Anderson
2006-12-04, 09:53
They tend to (wisely, imho) avoid making predictions about what the future
holds.

But can't they at least tell us whether it's possible with the hardware as it exists now?

kdf
2006-12-04, 09:58
Quoting Mike Anderson
<Mike.Anderson.2iaw1n1165251301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Ben Sandee;159472 Wrote:
>> They tend to (wisely, imho) avoid making predictions about what the
>> future
>> holds.
>
> But can't they at least tell us whether it's possible with the hardware
> as it exists now?
it would mostly depend on how much space the feature will take in
firmware, so they couldn't really say more than "maybe" without having
already implemented some aspect of it to see if it fits.

-kdf

Ben Sandee
2006-12-04, 10:01
On 12/4/06, Mike Anderson <
Mike.Anderson.2iaw1n1165251301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
>
> Ben Sandee;159472 Wrote:
> > They tend to (wisely, imho) avoid making predictions about what the
> > future
> > holds.
>
> But can't they at least tell us whether it's possible with the hardware
> as it exists now?


If they said yes, and the feature was never implemented for whatever reason
(maybe they just decided never to spend them money to do it) -- how would
you feel about the company and its products?

Ben

JRT
2006-12-04, 14:52
I seem to recall a thread about this somewhere, but now I can't find it, and I don't believe this question was finally answered anyway, so:

Is it possible with the Transporter to put a digital signal processor (e.g. a Behringer DEQ2496 unit to do room correction) purely in the digital signal path by using the digital I&Os in a manner similar to a tape loop?

I'd like to get a Transporter and take advantage of the high quality DAC etc, but I really need to be able to do room correction because of my room. I'd buy one if I knew this was possible.


I didn't read the other thread (only quickly skimmed this one), and maybe this info was covered there, but I suggest that you look into running a server side convolver like BruteFIR after the process of transcoding from FLAC to WAV, and before the process of streaming to the Transporter, SqueezeBox, or other networked audio player.

Look at BruteFIR and DRC.
http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html
http://drc-fir.sourceforge.net/

I am not an expert in this and have not tried doing this myself, though I will probably get around to trying it over the next few months.

Mike Anderson
2006-12-04, 22:03
If they said yes, and the feature was never implemented for whatever reason
(maybe they just decided never to spend them money to do it) -- how would you feel about the company and its products?

Personally, if they said yes but promised nothing, I would not hold it against them if they failed to act.

I get your point, though -- that some people probably would.