PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the "Specify Common Album Titles" option

Phunqdaphied
2006-11-28, 12:13
Once upon a time SlimServer used to have this option in the Server Settings -> Behavior menu. I recently installed it on a new computer and can't find it anymore. I really need the option to specify some of these because some albums are getting combined. Where did it go?

ceejay
2006-11-28, 13:01
I think you'll find this has changed in 6.5 and that option has gone - there was a lot of debate on the topic here around August-time, IIRC.

The upshot is that if your various albums with the same title (eg Greatest Hits) are each in a separate directory of their own in the library, SS will treat them as separate album... so there is no longer any need for that option.

HTH
Ceejay

Phunqdaphied
2006-11-28, 14:09
I think you'll find this has changed in 6.5
The upshot is that if your various albums with the same title (eg Greatest Hits) are each in a separate directory of their own in the library, SS will treat them as separate album... so there is no longer any need for that option.

Well I have 1 Various Artists album and 1 regular album by a single artist both are titled "The Ultimate Collection."

They are tagged appropriately (TCMP value)

The files reside in separate directories

But Slimserver still groups them BOTH under the Various Artists group.

Details:
Album #1 = Jackson 5 - The Ultimate Collection

For most songs in this album Artist = "Jackson 5", but 3 songs on this track are actually not Jackson 5. 2 are Michael and 1 is a Jermaine Jackson song... yeah really... Jermaine.
-So, because this has more than 1 artist, all songs are marked as TCMP = 1
- iTunes correctly organizes them in:
~/.../iTunes/Compilations/The Ultimate Collection

Album #2 = B.B. King - The Ultimate Collection.

-All songs in this album are B.B. King, so they are all marked as TCMP = 0
- iTunes correctly organizes them in:
~/.../iTunes/B.B. King/The Ultimate Collection

Any help?

Ben Sandee
2006-11-28, 14:14
On 11/28/06, Phunqdaphied <
Phunqdaphied.2i03un1164748201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Well I have 1 Various Artists album and 1 regular album by a single
> artist both are titled "The Ultimate Collection."
>
> They are tagged appropriately (TCMP value)
>
> The files reside in separate directories
>
> But Slimserver still groups them BOTH under the Various Artists group

I think by setting the TCMP tag you are telling SlimServer to force the
album to be a multi-artist compilation, regardless of the artist tags. If
you take TCMP off of your B.B. King album it should appear under B.B. King
again.

Ben

JJZolx
2006-11-28, 16:09
On 11/28/06, Phunqdaphied <
Phunqdaphied.2i03un1164748201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Well I have 1 Various Artists album and 1 regular album by a single
> artist both are titled "The Ultimate Collection."
>
> They are tagged appropriately (TCMP value)
>
> The files reside in separate directories
>
> But Slimserver still groups them BOTH under the Various Artists group

I think by setting the TCMP tag you are telling SlimServer to force the
album to be a multi-artist compilation, regardless of the artist tags. If
you take TCMP off of your B.B. King album it should appear under B.B. King
again.

Are you saying TCMP=0 and TCMP=1 are equivalent? That the _presence_ of the TCMP tag is interpreted as a logical TRUE?

Ben Sandee
2006-11-28, 16:18
On 11/28/06, JJZolx <JJZolx.2i09en1164755401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
> Are you saying TCMP=0 and TCMP=1 are equivalent? That the _presence_
> of the TCMP tag is interpreted as a logical TRUE?

No, I didn't say that. I wasn't sure what the values for TCMP and I was
fairly sure that TCMP=0 was the same as no TCMP at all.

Ben

JJZolx
2006-11-28, 16:33
On 11/28/06, JJZolx <JJZolx.2i09en1164755401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
> Are you saying TCMP=0 and TCMP=1 are equivalent? That the _presence_
> of the TCMP tag is interpreted as a logical TRUE?

No, I didn't say that. I wasn't sure what the values for TCMP and I was
fairly sure that TCMP=0 was the same as no TCMP at all.

I've actually seen that implied elsewhere (I forget where) - that the field should be removed if not a compilation. Could be the way iTunes works (as this is pretty much an iTunes invention for id3v2 tags), but I wouldn't expect SlimServer to care.

One thing I have noticed about the SlimServer database is that with my Flac library the COMPILATION column for a track is set to NULL whenever the COMPILATION tag is absent, but to 1 or 0 whenever it's explicitly set. I'm not sure if that's a bug, laziness, or if there's a good reason that NULL is used like this. It may make no difference, if queries account for the NULLs, but it strikes me as sloppy.

JJZolx
2006-11-28, 16:36
Any help?

Is this with 6.5.0? If so, try the latest 6.5.1 nightly. A LOT of bugs have been fixed in the 6.5.1 beta software.

MelonMonkey
2006-11-28, 23:53
I just confirmed this bug yesterday in bugzilla (for the 11-27 nightly of 6.5.1). Though I can't find the bug number now no matter what I search for (Bugzilla = ugh).

In any case, if using iTunes, make sure to set a unique ALBUM ARTIST tag for each of the albums that currently get lumped together.

And the bug: You must clear the Disc X of Y tags as well. Having those present causes Slimserver to merge the contents of both albums.

It doesn't matter where on the HD the tracks are stored to cause this issue.

Phunqdaphied
2006-11-29, 07:54
I just confirmed this bug yesterday in bugzilla (for the 11-27 nightly of 6.5.1). Though I can't find the bug number now no matter what I search for (Bugzilla = ugh).

In any case, if using iTunes, make sure to set a unique ALBUM ARTIST tag for each of the albums that currently get lumped together.

I'd love to use the ALBUM ARTIST tag, but SlimServer is still buggy in that respect. SlimServer handles ALBUM ARTIST better than iTunes... the Slimserver DB seems to parse tags and organize albums logically. Browse works perfectly, BUT the Now Playing display blanks out the Artist if normation if TRACK ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST are both populated. Another bug?

Also, there was a lot of talk about the TCMP=0 vs TCMP=NULL. Frankly I don't know what value my files have. I just know in iTunes one album is Compilation = Yes and the other is Compilation = No

MelonMonkey
2006-11-29, 08:36
I don't see the problem of missing artist in Now Playing when both ALBUM ARTIST and ARTIST are populated. At least I don't recall seeing it - I'll verify it again this afternoon.

"better than iTunes" isn't exactly meaningful in this context. iTunes has no bugs that I've found with its sorting and tag treatment. What it has is a lack of a couple of sorting features - iTunes does not use ALBUM ARTIST for sorting and has no SORT BY tags (TSOP, etc..)

Slim server's indexing in 6.5.1 has numerous bugs, the ones discussed in here are just a couple. It also has numerous Browse bugs with regards to sorting and display. I get by with most of them, but they're all a hassle none the less.

Try the current Nightly, change the tags I suggested in iTunes, shut down Slimserver and and then completely delete the entire database. Now restart the system and start Slimserver again. Another series of problems prevent a "Clean and Rescan" from working reliably. At least this is the case on a Mac. And the incremental Rescan is completely useless with these nightly builds (it picks up incorrect changes, loses album artwork, doesn't pick up legitimate changes, etc..)

I have two albums named "X" two named "Wonderland" and two named "B-Sides" - all of them are working fine with the stipulations I mentioned in my first post.

By the way, I only use ALBUM ARTIST for these cases and a couple of others. Generally that tag is blank for normal tracks from normal albums.

radish
2006-11-29, 09:42
Browse works perfectly, BUT the Now Playing display blanks out the Artist if normation if TRACK ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST are both populated. Another bug?

Fixed in 6.5.1.