PDA

View Full Version : linutop diskless fanless computer

bklaas
2006-11-28, 08:39
this little gem came across gizmodo today--
http://www.linutop.com/index.htm

It's a completely silent, diskless computer. Has firefox pre-installed, so you could hook it up to a touchscreen and have a pretty sweet UI sitting right by your stereo that makes no noise.

Nokia 770 + Squeezebox = poor man's Sonos
Linutop + Touchscreen + Squeezebox = poor man's Sooloos (http://sooloos.com/www/index.html)

Of course, the Linutop doesn't appear to exist yet, but details, details...

#!/ben

radish
2006-11-28, 09:21
Yeah I saw that too - looks excellent. I was tempted by the Gumstix machines (which are similar, but even smaller) but it just looked way to hard to hook up a monitor. The Linutop has a VGA port so that's a winner for me :)

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-28, 11:26
Very nice! About the only thing we need details about is the processor. Everything else looks good to go for a SlimServer install - hopefully root access is possible. (I'd think so, but then again it is currently marketed as a very simple zero-configuration device.)

Also I would guess the OS is housed in the ROM. So you'd have to install SlimServer on a USB drive, either an HDD which will also store your music collection or on a thumb drive.

JJZolx
2006-11-28, 11:41
Oh, oh, oh! I know!

I wonder if you could load SlimServer on this and connect it to network hard disks and not have to run a computer and it could be mounted in the ceiling and I can use my programmable remote and have powered speakers without wires and, and, and, and...

nevermind

radish
2006-11-28, 12:16
Very nice! About the only thing we need details about is the processor. Everything else looks good to go for a SlimServer install - hopefully root access is possible. (I'd think so, but then again it is currently marketed as a very simple zero-configuration device.)

If it can run Firefox at a decent speed it can run slimserver :)

Also I would guess the OS is housed in the ROM. So you'd have to install SlimServer on a USB drive, either an HDD which will also store your music collection or on a thumb drive.
Or a USB CD drive with SlimCD, or remote booting over the network :) Personally I'd be more interested in this as a silent/small PC to sit in the living room and act as a remote & email client than as a server. Kinda like a 770 but with a big screen and real keyboard. I could put the screen on the end of the bar and hide the machine itself in a drawer.

peter
2006-11-28, 12:32
bklaas wrote:
> this little gem came across gizmodo today--
> http://www.linutop.com/index.htm
>
> It's a completely silent, diskless computer. Has firefox pre-installed,
> so you could hook it up to a touchscreen and have a pretty sweet UI
> sitting right by your stereo that makes no noise.
>
> Nokia 770 + Squeezebox = poor man's Sonos
> Linutop + Touchscreen + Squeezebox = poor man's Sooloos
> (http://sooloos.com/www/index.html)
>
> Of course, the Linutop doesn't appear to exist yet, but details,
> details...
>
It's a bit big, isn't it?

http://www.jadeintegration.com/jackpc.php

Regards,
Peter

CatBus
2006-11-28, 12:42
Hardware-wise, this appears very similar to some HP thin client devices I have worked with (t5720).

It's really designed for RDP/Citrix/FreeNX, but you can run applications locally, with a significant performance hit. Fanless & solid state sounds nice, but remember that disk swapping will rapidly use up the limited writes in flash memory, so most embedded systems are customized to not only disable swapping, but to cache all disk writes to RAM and only commit them with a special utility. Those that don't have such utilities will see a gradual decrease in usable disk space on the flash drive until it finally crashes. I'm not sure this is the best device to run a database (SlimServer) on, sorry.

I love the idea of a fanless media server, but put in a quiet low-RPM 2.5" notebook drive and I think you'll be much happier than with the flash drive.

bklaas
2006-11-28, 13:31
If it can run Firefox at a decent speed it can run slimserver :)

Or a USB CD drive with SlimCD, or remote booting over the network :) Personally I'd be more interested in this as a silent/small PC to sit in the living room and act as a remote & email client than as a server. Kinda like a 770 but with a big screen and real keyboard. I could put the screen on the end of the bar and hide the machine itself in a drawer.

Exactly. I would dump the keyboard (or at least hide it) and go with a touchscreen, but that's the idea. Running slimserver on it? Meh. I already have a plenty-quick, always-on machine doing that. Proving that I can run slimserver on something with much less power doesn't interest me.

#!/ben

radish
2006-11-28, 15:12
Fanless & solid state sounds nice, but remember that disk swapping will rapidly use up the limited writes in flash memory, so most embedded systems are customized to not only disable swapping, but to cache all disk writes to RAM and only commit them with a special utility. Those that don't have such utilities will see a gradual decrease in usable disk space on the flash drive until it finally crashes.
Network network network :) Just have everything (including boot image & swap space) on a remote server. Gigabit is plenty fast enough, it'll be as fast as a local drive. Local storage is not a requirement.