PDA

View Full Version : Transporter remote backlight question

boybees
2006-11-27, 13:09
Is there a button on the remote that when pressed does NOTHING except light up the backlight?

I ask this because all the buttons seem to do SOMETHING so when a I press one to light up the remote, SOMETHING happens that I don't necessarily want to happen.

Thanks!

Kahuna
2006-11-27, 16:03
ALL of the buttons do nothing if you hold your other hand in front of the emitter! ;-)

boybees
2006-11-27, 16:10
ALL of the buttons do nothing if you hold your other hand in front of the emitter! ;-)

Nice solution - way to think outside of the box! Not perfectly elegant as it requires involvement of the other hand, but certainly "good enough".

ceejay
2006-11-27, 16:11
If there's a button you don't want its easy enough to map it to do nothing - you need to create a custom.map file (search the forum if you need more hints)

Ceejay

boybees
2006-11-27, 21:49
On the default.map file, brightness hold = dead. So just press the brightness button and hold it, and you light up the remote without doing anything else (and without changing the brightness).

azinck3
2006-11-27, 22:04
On the default.map file, brightness hold = dead. So just press the brightness button and hold it, and you light up the remote without doing anything else (and without changing the brightness).

Actually, not such a good idea...brightness.hold updates the firmware! You don't see it in the default.map file because that's the one button with functionality that's hard-coded into the device.

kdf
2006-11-27, 22:39
azinck3 wrote:
>
> Actually, not such a good idea...brightness.hold updates the firmware!
> You don't see it in the default.map file because that's the one button
> with functionality that's hard-coded into the device.
>

It is something to be cautious of, but the hold time to activate
firmware is much longer than that needed to activate the .hold modifier.

-kdf

ceejay
2006-11-28, 00:49

The other thing to watch out for (and the reason I suggested creating a custom.map file) is that you will need to repeat the edit of default.map every time you upgrade or reinstall slimserver, whereas a custom.map won't be overwritten.

Ceejay

peter
2006-11-28, 01:54
boybees wrote:
> Kahuna;157908 Wrote:
>
>> ALL of the buttons do nothing if you hold your other hand in front of
>> the emitter! ;-)
>>
>
> Nice solution - way to think outside of the box! Not perfectly elegant
> as it requires involvement of the other hand, but certainly "good
> enough"

Still, it's bad design if you need to figure out tricks like that. SD
should take a leaf out of Logitech's book, my Harmony remote has a
special 'glow' button for this purpose.

Regards,
Peter

boybees
2006-11-28, 03:33
The other thing to watch out for (and the reason I suggested creating a custom.map file) is that you will need to repeat the edit of default.map every time you upgrade or reinstall slimserver, whereas a custom.map won't be overwritten.

Ceejay

There are other good reasons to create a custom map too. Eventually I will do this.

rick's cafe
2006-11-28, 07:54
why not just press the now playing button?

boybees
2006-11-28, 09:06
why not just press the now playing button?

Because when that button is pressed, it switches to a different now playing display. That is one of the things I can change when I do a custom.map, and I will.

JJZolx
2006-11-28, 14:06
Imagine, SD went to the trouble of creating that cool new remote and didn't think to add a button that does NOTHING. What were they thinking?

Kyle
2006-11-28, 14:24
Imagine, SD went to the trouble of creating that cool new remote and didn't think to add a button that does NOTHING. What were they thinking?

It's not about a button that does NOTHING. It's about a button that lights up the keys and NOTHING ELSE.

boybees
2006-11-28, 15:01
It's not about a button that does NOTHING. It's about a button that lights up the keys and NOTHING ELSE.

Another oversight on the Transporter remote is not having the letters associated with each keypad number (1-9) light up when the number lights up. Would've helped greatly for text entry.

JJZolx
2006-11-28, 15:07
My point is simply that with a limited number of buttons, it would not have occurred to a designer to devote one to doing nothing but turn on the backlight. And I think most people are fine with that.

oreillymj
2006-11-28, 15:18
How do you find the "Glow" button in the dark?

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-28, 16:04
How do you find the "Glow" button in the dark?

On my universal remote, it's a glow-in-the-dark button.

Also it's in a very prominent location, there are two of them on the bottom.

radish
2006-11-28, 16:33
I like the solution on the Harmony 880 - a motion sensor. I don't like the solution on the One-4-All Kameleon - a motion sensor.

Hint: One is far too sensitive and causes the battery to go flat very fast.