PDA

View Full Version : Best Stream quality

Tbrooke
2006-11-27, 06:43
I have been enjoying more internet radio particularly Wjzz and I was wondering if there are any options for better sound quality It sounds good but I understand they are mostly 128kbs mp3. Are there any flac quality services or stations. I noticed radioIo has CD quality - What does it mean?

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-27, 07:22
Are there any flac quality services or stations.

Almost none. I've heard mention of a couple but it's exceedingly rare. The continuing bandwidth demand is very expensive.

Also the general public views 96 - 128 kbps MP3 as good enough so there's no big drive to change.

I noticed radioIo has CD quality - What does it mean?

It's the most misused term ever devised by marketers. It can mean whatever they want it to mean. True "CD quality" is 1411 kbps WAV, although lossless compression like FLAC at ~1000 kbps is identical. Below that, it isn't "CD quality" per se.

Now I have heard many here say that well-made 256 kbps MP3s sound identical to FLAC, but the fact is that MP3 is not CD quality because if you decompress it to WAV you get a file that's different from the original CD WAV. Whether or not you could hear the difference depends on your hearing and equipment, but a mathematical check will show that the two files are different every time.

gerph
2006-11-27, 09:29
It's the most misused term ever devised by marketers. It can mean whatever they want it to mean. True "CD quality" is 1440 kbps WAV (snip).

Ok, you'll have to correct my maths here, 'cos I may be dim. CD = 44100Hz (samples per second). There is stereo data (two channels per sample) and each channel is 16bit. So that's 44100 * 2 * 16 = 1411200 bits per second. Which is 1411.2kps or 1378.125kibps. Neither of which values matches. What's the difference ?

Personally I wouldn't use the phrase 'WAV' anywhere near talking about quality as it can contain all manner of data formats, but each to their own.

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-27, 09:40
Ok, you'll have to correct my maths here, 'cos I may be dim. CD = 44100Hz (samples per second). There is stereo data (two channels per sample) and each channel is 16bit. So that's 44100 * 2 * 16 = 1411200 bits per second. Which is 1411.2kps or 1378.125kibps. Neither of which values matches. What's the difference ?

Whoops, my memory was off here, it's 1411 kbps of course. Edit coming up.

Personally I wouldn't use the phrase 'WAV' anywhere near talking about quality as it can contain all manner of data formats, but each to their own.

I wanted to refer to the raw bitstream coming off the CD, and WAV is the closest you get to it. Of course lossless formats are equivalent in quality because they're bit-perfect. I did clearly mention this in my post.

Wombat
2006-11-27, 09:46
I am not using these streaming services but i think some stations offer ogg streams meanwhile. At 96kHz it already can sound surprisingly good imho.

gerph
2006-11-27, 11:14
Whoops, my memory was off here, it's 1411 kbps of course. Edit coming up.

Phew! I thought for a second that my mind was going more than it already is :-)