PDA

View Full Version : Slimserver locks up when starting?

dupreesdiamond
2006-11-25, 21:00
slimServer will not stay up and locks up on restart ?
from which file (i.e. where is the SlimServer Log?) do I need provide you all with info to help me sort this out?

Here is my set-up:
Windows XP Media Center (basically XP-Pro + DVR software)
Cable Internet
Latest version of SlimServer (6.5.0) (downloaded this afternoon)
SoftSqueeze
McAfee Security Center

McAfee is set-up to allow the server through, my Router forwards the port (using 9090) through to the box that SlimServer is installed on. I can occasionaly get SoftSqueeze (Running on the same windows XP box...connecting via localhost:9090) to play A single song but about halfway through the song SoftSqueeze looses the connection and the slimserver web admin pages return "page not found errors"

If I then stop/exit slim server and attempt to "restart" then it never gets past "slimserver is starting".....

I found this info earlier:
=================
On Windows XP, Slim Server hangs on startup, and sometimes the debug window says there is another copy running, how do I fix this?

This seems to happen on Windows XP when the IP stack is keeping erroneous information or just not functioning properly. Microsoft has published a knowledge base article about it. But the short of it is that you need to run one command to reset the stack. To do this:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type in "cmd" and hit enter
4. In the DOS window, type in "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" and hit enter.
5. Try to start Slim Server again
===========

however that command blanks out my TCP/IP settings which blows up my entire network (I mean this machine needs a static IP but that command blanks it out and sets it to receive a dynamic IP).

richidoo
2006-11-26, 06:57
Try testing it with McAfee disabled (at least as much as it will allow). Shut down what doesn't diable in task manager. If it works get rid of McAfee.

Look at your performance tab in task manager when slim is starting under condition that makes it fail. If resource meters are pegged, you need to take care of that first, considering whether or not you run McAfee. XP should have 512MB physical RAM to run McAfee and SS together easily. If your resources are fine, confirmed by performance tab then there is a bad install of something, or a conflict. Even though win95 was supposed to eliminate memory violations, it still happens. IMO McAfee is a big expensive hog, which can be replaced by free software which has no such problems. Even Microsoft has protection software now which works good.
Good luck!
Rich

jonheal
2006-11-26, 07:58
Try testing it with McAfee disabled (at least as much as it will allow). Shut down what doesn't diable in task manager. If it works get rid of McAfee.

Look at your performance tab in task manager when slim is starting under condition that makes it fail. If resource meters are pegged, you need to take care of that first, considering whether or not you run McAfee. XP should have 512MB physical RAM to run McAfee and SS together easily. If your resources are fine, confirmed by performance tab then there is a bad install of something, or a conflict. Even though win95 was supposed to eliminate memory violations, it still happens. IMO McAfee is a big expensive hog, which can be replaced by free software which has no such problems. Even Microsoft has protection software now which works good.
Good luck!
Rich
I've made the rounds with most AV software, and I've found MS OneCare to be very well integrated, minimally intrusive, and easier on resources than Symantec or McAfee.

$32 at Costco with a $20 rebate (Can be installed on 3 PCs). You can't beat that deal with a stick!

dupreesdiamond
2006-11-26, 13:10
I have the same issue with McAfee disabled....and I have 3GB of RAM and viewing the task Mgr confirms that resources aren't the issue.

dupreesdiamond
2006-11-26, 15:26
Ok here is the error from the Event Viewer:

===========================
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Carp::Clan::__ANON__(): Error executing 'SELECT contributor.id, contributor.name, contributor.namesort, contributor.moodlogic_id, contributor.moodlogic_mixable, contributor.musicmagic_mixable, contributor.namesearch, contributor.musicbrainz_id FROM contributor_track me JOIN contributors contributor ON ( contributor.id = me.contributor ) WHERE ( ( ( role IN ( ? ) ) AND ( me.track = ? ) ) ) GROUP BY contributor.id ORDER BY role desc': DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Can't create/write to file 'C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\#sql_3ac_0.MYD' (Errcode: 17) at C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server\CPAN/DBIx/Class/Storage/DBI.pm line 771.
=================

Gregory Hamilton
2006-11-26, 15:44
>
> The problem is likely related to your virus scanning software.

Some scanners appear to have problems releasing the file in a timely
manner.
See if you can tell your scanner software to skip or ignore files with the
MYI or MYD extension.

dupreesdiamond
2006-11-26, 16:25
well disabling mcafee (all of it) does nothing for me either...stopping and restarting the slimserver service and I can't even get the web pages to come up....

guess this isn't for me.

Gregory Hamilton
2006-11-26, 17:31
I'm assuming Windows,

1. Reboot
2. Stop the Slimserver service
3. Make sure All Virus and Spyware scanners are disabled
4. Delete all files and folders in C:\Windows\Temp
5. CD "C:\Program File\Slimserver\server
6. Slimserver --d_import --d_scan --d_info --wipe --progress

This will produce a lot of information. but will generally stop on the fatal
error.

dupreesdiamond
2006-11-26, 18:45
Thanks for the responses!

No need to assume, my system details are in the first post.
I can't see running software that requires my AV/FW to be shutdown. Maybe when my sub runs out I will look at alternative AV/FW solutions. But for now I can't use SlimServer and unfortunately need to ammend ye olde gift list....

Thanks for the help.

snarlydwarf
2006-11-26, 19:43
Thanks for the responses!

No need to assume, my system details are in the first post.
I can't see running software that requires my AV/FW to be shutdown. Maybe when my sub runs out I will look at alternative AV/FW solutions. But for now I can't use SlimServer and unfortunately need to ammend ye olde gift list....

Thanks for the help.

Lots of people run it with antivirus software just fine: disabling it is a cheap method of seeing "is this interfering? will I need to tweak my Antivirus software so that it doesn't mess with database files? Or do I need to change my firewall settings so that I am allowing network access?"

If disabling it makes it suddenly work, then you know that was the problem and then you would get help on making sure your settings allowed what needed to be allowed when you turned your antivirus and firewall back on.

dupreesdiamond
2006-11-26, 20:20
Well I took the following steps:

uninstall
reboot
shut down McAfee
delete windows\temp\*
reinstall
shut down slimserver
delete windows\temp\*

run the command mentioned above:
=====
C:\Program Files\SlimServer\server>Slimserver --d_import --d_scan --d_info --wipe --progress

'Slimserver' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
=====

Tried it as:
slim --d_.......

which resulted in:
Unknown option: wipe
Unknown option: progress
Usage: Slim [--audiodir .......

So I skipped that whole step...and went into the Web Admin pages...same behaviour as mentioned above...I initially get to the admin page but any click gets me to an "unable to connect" message then shut-down/restart hangs....