PDA

View Full Version : Artists & Library

Cavey
2006-11-25, 13:25
OK, confused about the library & how it handles artists.

Most of my albums are compliations where (rightly) the Artist is "Various Artists" and the Track Artist is the actual performer. If I browse the album/track then I can see these attributes are correctly understood by SlimServer.

So, how do I search for tracks by a certain artist over multiple albums. For example if I have 3 Compliations each with a single different track by "The Smurfs" [means something in the UK] then how do I get to an entry on the SB called "The Smurfs" containing those 3 tracks?

If I "Browse by Artist" then "The Smurfs" does not appear in the list (obviously this list is indexed by Album Artist rather than Track Artist). If I "Search by Artist" then "The Smurfs" appears in the list but on pressing right it says "empty".

Help !!!

ceejay
2006-11-25, 13:43
Well, there is more than one way to do this but personally, on my compilations, I have ARTIST=the actual track artist and don't bother setting TRACKARTIST separately. Slimserver will - generally - spot that this is a compilation album and put it in the Various Artists category for you (the main thing if you are doing it this way is to ensure that one CD = one directory on your disc, it makes it easier for SS to spot what you are doing).

Then, browsing by Artist will find all the right tracks. Of course, if The Smurfs are the artist in question then maybe SS is doing you a favour by hiding them...

Ceejay

Cavey
2006-11-25, 13:55
Thanks

Excuse the ignorance; I've used Windows Media Player to rip the CDs so perhaps have not been exposed the various options. How do I set "ARTIST=the actual track artist"; up until now everything's just been done by default.

Of course maybe I should use another ripping program; thoughts?

If SB hid The Smurfs then Father Abarahams would sue.

ceejay
2006-11-25, 14:14
Well, I rip using EAC - my files are all FLAC.

It should also be very easy to fix after the event, with mp3tag (see http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide ). You could have it do your entire library in a couple of clicks, in not very many minutes, copying the value from Track Artist into ARTIST. Though you might want to experiment in a limited copy first!

Please note this is only one way to do this, I'm sure there are good reasons for using Album Artist and Track Artist differently, and I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with another opinion!

Ceejay

slimpy
2006-11-25, 19:02
If I remember correctly slimserver's default setting is to hide artists that are only part of compilations.
You can change this behaviour in Server settings - Behavior - Compilations. Set this to "List compilation albums under each artist".
On the same page you can select the behaviour for compilations that have an album artist (Band, ALBUMARTIST, TPE2).

There is hardly any need to change your tags.

-s.

Cavey
2006-11-26, 04:18
Thanks

"Server settings - Behavior - Compilations" was already set to "List compilation albums under each artist" by default - changing it does not seem to have an obvious effect.

OK, maybe what I am missing here to get a better understanding of what is happening is how SS creates its database. My presumption is that it uses the normal file system attributes (Artist, Title etc.) to create the db rather than anything stored in the file itself (currently using Lossless WMA).

Therefore I would expect to be able to put a few songs in a folder & change the "Title", "Artist" and "Album Title" attributes to something unique and see another album and another artist appear.

The new album name appears as you would expect and I can browse and play it; the tracks all have associated with it the new Artist name (say "Foo").

However "Foo" does not appear if I "Browse / Artists". If I "Search Artists" then "Foo" appears but its associated tracks are "Empty".

Guess I simply don't understand how SS deals with Artists!

Thoughts?

Roy
2006-11-26, 04:52
Cavey

I've had similar problems to you.

The general consensus seems to be that you set the artist tag to the actual artist and the same with the album artist,if you use that field. Then each compilation album needs to go in its own separate folder. So the folder structure is something like C:\Music\Compilations\60s Hits\XXXXXX.flac. The defaults on server settings behavior are left alone.

Now that all worked fine until I created some playlists - the artists then started to disappear. There is a bug filed for that here http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4516.So you may want to check that this is not the problem you are having.

Because I had only about 10 compilation discs I just broke them down and reorganized them into artist folders. Everything now works beautifully.

Roy

ceejay
2006-11-26, 11:52
OK, maybe what I am missing here to get a better understanding of what is happening is how SS creates its database. My presumption is that it uses the normal file system attributes (Artist, Title etc.) to create the db rather than anything stored in the file itself (currently using Lossless WMA).

Just to clarify, "Artist", "Title" etc are not file system attributes - they are tags stored inside the files. However Windows Explorer spots that this is a WMA file and reads the tags for you.

A better way to read and modify tags is to use a proper tagger - I use mp3tag, see here http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?Mp3tagGuide for a helpful intro.

Why "Foo" isn't showing up in your example I have no idea, but I would start by looking inside the tags with mp3tag.

HTH
Ceejay

christopher@rath.ca
2006-12-29, 19:48
Do the missing artists appear in a playlist(s) in your library?