PDA

View Full Version : Favourite albums to listen to "with the lights out"

egd
2006-11-25, 05:15
Hi everyone

My wife and son are overseas visiting the grandparents and I figure now is a great time to catch up on some music, particularly those albums that are best listened to lying on the couch or floor with the lights out and eyes shut.

Anyone care to share their favourites in this "genre".

Thx
egd

tomsi42
2006-11-25, 06:12
Hi everyone

My wife and son are overseas visiting the grandparents and I figure now is a great time to catch up on some music, particularly those albums that are best listened to lying on the couch or floor with the lights out and eyes shut.

Anyone care to share their favourites in this "genre".

Thx
egd

Depends on whether you want to fall asleep or really enjoy the music!

For falling into sleep I recommend "The Snow Goose" by Camel.

As I expect that this isn't what you are after, here are some other stuff that could interest you: Damien Rice "O", Gustav Holsts "The Planets", Pink Floyd "The Wall", Jeff Wayne "War of the Worlds".

And if you want to crank up the volume: "Leftism" by Leftfield.

Happy listening,
Tom

lrossouw
2006-11-25, 08:22

As I expect that this isn't what you are after, here are some other stuff that could interest you: Damien Rice "O", Gustav Holsts "The Planets", Pink Floyd "The Wall", Jeff Wayne "War of the Worlds".

Happy listening,
Tom

oh yes second the leftism. recently set up an playlist with all my morcheeba, portishead and massive attack tracks. all lovely female vocals to make me relax and sleepy. also works wonders when you are not alone...

maybe i should add lefism to it?

egd
2006-11-25, 15:24
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I have some of what has been suggested and will give them a spin tonight.

For lying back, becoming seriously relaxed and sheer musical enjoyment I'd wholeheartedly recommend Neal Schon's "Beyond the Thunder", details @ http://www.schonmusic.com/articledetail-frame.asp/ID_38/articlename_Neal-Schon-Solo---Beyond-the-Thunder. I pulled out this old favourite last night (I retired prior to your suggestions).

Mark Lanctot
2006-11-25, 15:43
Good, relaxing and good-sounding tracks:

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet

egd
2006-11-25, 16:10
Good, relaxing and good-sounding tracks:

Fleetwood Mac - Landslide

Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet

Have both of those - agree they're great. Which reminds me - most of "Dire Straits - Love over Gold" is superb in this category, in fact a compilation of Knopfler and Dire Straits tracks could work very nicely.

Something else I'm after is music to get you thinking. Hate to admit it, but when I was in my teens I enjoyed John Mellencamp's earlier stuff because I could relate to a lot of what he sang about. Now I'm a few years shy of 40 and "17 has turned 35, I'm surprised that we're still living" just doesn't do it for me.

MeSue
2006-11-25, 16:48
I've been enjoying David Gilmour's "On an Island" when I want to get relaxed and sleepy.

lrossouw
2006-11-26, 04:18
Have both of those - agree they're great. Which reminds me - most of "Dire Straits - Love over Gold" is superb in this category, in fact a compilation of Knopfler and Dire Straits tracks could work very nicely.

Something else I'm after is music to get you thinking. Hate to admit it, but when I was in my teens I enjoyed John Mellencamp's earlier stuff because I could relate to a lot of what he sang about. Now I'm a few years shy of 40 and "17 has turned 35, I'm surprised that we're still living" just doesn't do it for me.

romeo and juliet: try the live version on that live album "on the night"

i prefer it to the original!

adamslim
2006-11-26, 04:20
Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Really tense stuff, great really loud in darkness :)

peejay
2006-11-26, 04:49

'Private Investigations' off that album does it for me - lights off, particularly.

richidoo
2006-11-26, 06:36
Both on Columbia (Sony now, I guess):
1. Bernstein/NYPhil play Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring
2. Miles Davis Sketches of Spain, Concerto de Aranjuez
These are relaxing and inspiring.
Rich

Kyle
2006-11-27, 20:59
Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon
Dire Strait's Brothers In Arms
Steely Dan's Aja
Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick
David Gray's White Ladder
The Beatles' Abbey Road
Traffic's The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys

steve4586
2006-12-01, 04:34
Try Side two of Pink Floyd's Meddle - Echoes.

Seriously spooky.

I agree with Snow Goose, music on, lights out swiftly followed by my lights going out. It is only slightly irritating that I get woken up half way through to change sides (ah, vinyl dotcha still love it? Or is that another topic...?)

nicktf
2006-12-01, 05:59
A Nick Drake compilation from ages ago - "Heaven in a Wild Flower" beautiful, haunting stuff.

I'll second the choice of "Echoes" as spooky night music, it really takes on a new dimension in the dark

tomsi42
2006-12-01, 06:33
Try Side two of Pink Floyd's Meddle - Echoes.

Seriously spooky.

But insanely great too.

I agree with Snow Goose, music on, lights out swiftly followed by my lights going out. It is only slightly irritating that I get woken up half way through to change sides (ah, vinyl dotcha still love it? Or is that another topic...?)

When my lights go out, they usually stay out for hours... So it wasn't a problem for me ;)

Vinyl? Shouldn't that be over at the audiophiles stuff ?

Bart
2006-12-02, 14:06
...are best listened to lying on the couch or floor with the lights out and eyes shut.

When this feeling comes upon me I put on Jacques Brel's J'Arrive and turn the lights off...

Jez
2006-12-02, 14:43
I'm partial to psychedelica new and old so I would recommend the following

Whirlpool by Dr Phibes and the House of Wax Equations . . . a simply stunning album for anyone who wants to know what Hendrix jamming with early Floyd would sound like. Which leads me onto

Astronomy Domine, Instellar Overdrive, Saucerful of Secrets and any of the less frivolous (Barrett-based) tracks off the first 2 Floyd albums.

HP Lovecraft's 2 studio albums and most of Kaleidoscope's (US) stuff.

Mogwai - especially Come On Die Young

God Speed! You Black Emperor and associated bands. Also lots of stuff on the Kranky label.

Finally for the moment . . . if you want a real 'experience' Diamanda Galas' Masque Of The Red Death (Disc 1). Not for those of a nervous disposition!

dusura
2006-12-02, 16:10
Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Really tense stuff, great really loud in darkness :)

I was gonna suggest these too! Must be played loud. The climaxes are awesome when you put these records on so the quiet bits are fairly loud - really builds.

I have heard that much of the recording for these was done in the dark - so there really it no other choice!

Philip Meyer
2006-12-02, 16:20
Hi Jez <Jez.2i7k501165095902 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,

>God Speed! You Black Emperor and associated bands. Also lots of stuff
>on the Kranky label.

That should be "Godspeed You Black Emperor!". Fantastic music. I got into them via a film called 28 days later. Best piece of music from that film, but it's not on the soundtrack (soundtrack is still good though).

A Silver Mount Zion seems to be an off-shoot from that band. I like "Horses In The Sky". I've also listened to some of their music from the live music archive - they seem good live.

Phil

Jez
2006-12-02, 18:42
Hi Jez,

>God Speed! You Black Emperor and associated bands. Also lots of stuff
>on the Kranky label.

That should be "Godspeed You Black Emperor!". Fantastic music. I got into them via a film called 28 days later. Best piece of music from that film, but it's not on the soundtrack (soundtrack is still good though).

A Silver Mount Zion seems to be an off-shoot from that band. I like "Horses In The Sky". I've also listened to some of their music from the live music archive - they seem good live.

Phil

If you like GSYBE, as well as A Silver Mount Zion and all it's variants, you check out Set Fire To Flames another spin-off. I can't remember which album it's on but 'Dead Flag Blues' was my introduction to GSYBE and well worth checking out.

I'm getting into a lot of so-called 'Post-Rock' stuff as it seems use the components of rock in a more orchestral way that I find very appealing when I'm not after a nice hook or chorus line.

jonmyatt
2006-12-05, 15:16
Peter Gabriel "Don't give up" from So, with Kate Bush joining him on vocals is *awesome* in the dark - the vocal and the bass sound never fail to make the hairs stand up on my neck.

I need to go and thumb through my vinyl collection to come up with some more suggestions :)

Jon.

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-07, 17:37
Oh, got the perfect albums:

Tool - both Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Just don't fall asleep though, you'd have some seriously disturbing dreams. :-)

tomsi42
2006-12-08, 05:24
Oh, got the perfect albums:

Tool - both Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

Just don't fall asleep though, you'd have some seriously disturbing dreams. :-)

Is it possible to fall asleep at all with Tool thundering on ?

Mark Lanctot
2006-12-08, 06:42
Is it possible to fall asleep at all with Tool thundering on ?

Some/most of the tracks aren't loud at all.

Yeah, there are a couple that would wake you up. :-)

the_twin
2006-12-10, 17:09
Robert Johnson: King of The Delta Blues Singers.

Phil Leigh
2006-12-21, 04:03
PF - Wish You Were Here
Massive Attack - Mezzanine
Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Joe Cocker - Something To Say
Moody Blues - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

PhilNYC
2006-12-21, 06:03
It's been a while since I've done it, but Jeff Beck's "There and Back" was my "in-the-dark" CD after a long night of partying...

Phil Leigh
2006-12-21, 12:36
Nice album!
Also, Chicken Skin Music - Ry Cooder (or Chavez Ravine!)
Paul Simon - Paul Simon

stinkingpig
2006-12-21, 12:47
On 12/21/06, Phil Leigh
<Phil.Leigh.2j6l0o1166730002 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Nice album!
> Also, Chicken Skin Music - Ry Cooder (or Chavez Ravine!)
> Paul Simon - Paul Simon
>

Those are morning albums for me :)

My mellow out

Brian Eno - On Land
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

Skunk
2006-12-21, 13:05
Steve Roach- Early Man
Biosphere- Substrata (thanks Model Citizen!)
Barry Adamson- Soul Murder
Global Communication- Pentamerous Metamorphosis

Skunk
2006-12-22, 09:17
Or if there's a member of the opposite sex in the dim room I like Radiohead OK Computer.

JSonnabend
2006-12-22, 10:00
Or if there's a member of the opposite sex in the dim room I like Radiohead OK Computer.

Radiohead is the new Barry White?

Skunk
2006-12-22, 10:22

That's like saying white is the new black. Everything is cyclical.

stinkingpig
2006-12-22, 11:12
On 12/22/06, Skunk <Skunk.2j86fb1166804401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Or if there's a member of the opposite sex in the dim room I like
> Radiohead OK Computer.
>
>

Sorry, that's Al Green around here
--

PhilNYC
2006-12-22, 13:51

Naw...I think Radiohead helps confuse her... ;-)

drewe181
2006-12-29, 23:09
hmm, i like:

Mad dogs and englishmen - Joe Cockair
The shelter people - Leon Russell
12 dreams of dr. sardonicus - Spirit
Fonk Da World - Nils Landgren Funk Unit

peejay
2006-12-30, 06:22
On 12/22/06, Skunk <Skunk.2j86fb1166804401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> Or if there's a member of the opposite sex in the dim room I like
> Radiohead OK Computer.
>
>

Sorry, that's Al Green around here
--

Sorry, that's Richard Elliot around here.

TiredLegs
2007-01-02, 12:56
My top two favorites for eyes closed listening (especially with headphones) are:

Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon
Jeff Beck, Blow By Blow

utowana
2007-01-02, 19:32
An old album, but new to me:
The Blue Nile "Hats"
Best listened to when blue, on a train at night, or drinking scotch.
This music is coming from a different place. Incredible vocals (not voice). Great stuff.

stovis
2007-01-08, 17:10
Cocteau Twins - Garlands

Lycia - A Day In The Stark Corner

Roxy Music - Avalon

SubFuze
2007-01-08, 23:21
Coil - Musick to Play in the Dark Vol. 1
Coil - Time Machines
Download - The Eyes of Stanley Pain
Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger
Nurse with Wound - Thunder Perfect Mind
Sasha - Involver
Sasha & John Digweed - Northern Exposure 2
Shpongle - Tales of the Inexpressible
Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Allat Született

ModelCitizen
2007-02-24, 03:16
Depends what you want out of your darkened room...
If you want intense spine tingling fear then
Can, the track Peking O from the album Tago Mago...
relaxing it's not.
Not to be mixed with psychedelic drugs unless extremely brave or foolhardy.
MC

egd
2007-02-24, 04:51
Depends what you want out of your darkened room...
If you want intense spine tingling fear then
Can, the track Peking O from the album Tago Mago...
relaxing it's not.
Not to be mixed with psychedelic drugs unless extremely brave or foolhardy.
MC

Thx, if you enjoy fear and tension, turn out the lights and give Elend's Officium Tenebrarum Trilogy a spin. Utterly disturbing.

haunyack
2007-03-16, 07:23
Masters of night music.

Skunk
2007-03-16, 23:42
God Speed! You Black Emperor and associated bands. Also lots of stuff on the Kranky label.

One Kranky album I've been listening to a lot (with the lights out) is Loscil's Plume (http://www.tinymixtapes.com/Loscil).

The name stands for looping oscillator in Csound, and most albums have a theme, but I couldn't say exactly what this one's is even after reading five reviews.

One thing that stood out in the reviews was the improvisational nature of the album, which I thought you might appreciate in light of your psychedelia comments.

It probably stands a much better chance of being up your alley than Tim Hecker, another kranky artist, so consider giving a listen. The noise in the first track* is similar to a Pink Floyd effect, from welcome to the machine IIRC. Should have used a sample for that one, IMO. Isn't PF one of the only bands not to license stuff commercially though? I haven't seen any mattress commercials use comfortably numb yet, anyway..

* http://brainwashed.com/common/htdocs/discog/krank096.html(mp3 sample at bottom)

Philip Meyer
2007-03-17, 11:09
>Tangerine Dream - Rubycon
>
Good choice.

Jez
2007-03-20, 14:24
I listened to a couple of tracks off 'The Seance At Hobs End' by Mount Vernon Arts Lab at the weekend and it might make a cool, if spooky, lights off album.

tyler_durden
2007-03-20, 23:25
The Mahabharata soundtrack and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan's "Night Song". If I'm in a more upbeat mood, "Sex Mob Does Bond" is very good, and I can scare my self to half to death with Byrne and Eno's "My Life in the Bush of Ghosts".

A compilation of Morphine's slower tunes is really good. Try "Hanging on a Curtain", "Swing It Low", 'The Night", "Like Swimming", "In Spite of Me", "Candy", "Sheila", "Whisper", "I had My Chance", "Miles Davis' Funeral", "Souvenir", "Rope on Fire", and all three parts of "I Know You" played in sequence.

TD

EasilyConfused
2007-03-22, 06:48
...but for some strange reason I always listen to 'Supper's Ready' (Genesis) with the lights out! The alternating quiet/loud thing seems to have even more impact.
...But for sheer melt factor, I find 'Caution Horses' Cowboy Junkies hard to beat.

Ognomm
2007-04-09, 14:03
Pink Floyd mostly.

Meddle, Animal, Division Bell, Dark side of the Moon, The Wall... you name it :)

And also Roger Waters - Amused to death... that might not be the best trying to sleep to, but its still amasing with the lights on or off.

BigTony
2007-04-10, 02:40
At home with the light out and everyone out ...

The Who - Live At Leeds (Delux Edition)
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
John Martyn - Solid Air
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs (awesome loud loud loud)
Ozric Tentacles - Afterwish (melts your mind)

BT

Gomez
2008-02-19, 10:54
How about Robin Trower absolutely stunning try "Bridge of Sighs" then put the rest of the catalogue on you won't be dissapointed Love it. As a bonus if you don't own the cds already they have put 2 albums on each disc oh & the album he's just released with Jack Bruce is also worth a listen.

L8R Gomez...........

jvandervort
2008-02-19, 11:25
On 12/22/06, Skunk

It's all for me grog, me jolly jolly grog...

gbruzzo
2008-02-19, 17:29
Life Space Death (Toshinori Kondo, Bill Laswell)
In a Silent way (M Davis)

Brian Ritchie
2008-02-19, 18:18
My mellow out

Brian Eno - On Land

Mellow out? I find this quite spooky! Once went for a nighttime walk through Hunter's Bog (unlit wilderness in the middle of Edinburgh) to this, which was quite an experience!

I usually just set up the SB to select Steve Roach and Robert Rich at random, and use a long crossfade between tracks...

(...) Isn't PF one of the only bands not to license stuff commercially though? I haven't seen any mattress commercials use comfortably numb yet, anyway..

Great Gig In The Sky was used in a commercial for headache pills a few years ago. Probably a re-recording rather than the original, but the music was the same.

-- Brian

Pale Blue Ego
2008-02-19, 18:46
Brian Eno - On Land: I once used this to keep Trick-or-Treaters away from the house.

For sleeping I use various ambient music...Steve Roach, Eno, or the net radio stations CryoSleep, Blue Mars, DroneZone.

th00ht
2008-02-27, 16:57

Happy listening,
Tom

I love you.

Are we neighbours in last.fm?

lucysmusicbox
2008-02-28, 13:20
I enjoy listening to music like Bright Eyes before I go to sleep. It makes me so calm and happy.

4mula1
2008-03-07, 11:10
An excellent album to relax and nod off to would be Stratosfear by Tangerine Dream. I used it with great effect on my then four year old daughter.

I always find Climbing Up The Walls from OK Computer a powerful and eerie song. The subject matter is just perfect for having the lights low and the paranoia high.

The song Polvere by the Italian group C.S.I. is awesome in the dark. Very warm and enveloping.

ptrainer
2008-03-15, 01:58
Donna Lewis [Now In A Minute] - very mellow, atmospheric
Sade [Lover's Rock] - hypnotic and melancholy
Diana Krall [The Girl In The Other Room] - jazzy, moody pop
Alison Krauss [Forget About It] - pure and haunting voice

haraldo
2008-03-15, 13:26

Happy listening,
Tom

There are three albums I can recommend:
- Leftism
- Leftism
- Leftism

All by Leftfield, To top it all, listen to: Original

-Harald

ModelCitizen
2008-03-15, 13:39
- Leftism

I've never had a hifi that could get the bass on this album to sound less than flabby. :-(

MC

haraldo
2008-03-15, 13:47
I've never had a hifi that could get the bass on this album to sound less than flabby. :-(
MC

Sorry about that...

Yes, the album is bass heavy, but on a top notch rig, there's nothing flabby about the bass... It is fantastic on a good hi-fi rig......

nicktf
2008-03-18, 05:36
Great Gig In The Sky was used in a commercial for headache pills a few years ago. Probably a re-recording rather than the original, but the music was the same.

-- Brian

Yes, it was a re-recording with original vocalist Clare Torry.

chipbutty
2008-03-18, 12:21
Steely Dan - Aja
Global Communication - 76.14
The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Nightmare's on Wax - Smoker's Delight

chipbutty
2008-03-18, 12:22
One of the finest dance albums ever made. A true classic.

- Leftism
- Leftism
- Leftism

All by Leftfield, To top it all, listen to: Original

-Harald

MrJB
2008-03-19, 07:14
Facing You by Keith Jarrett. A great one for letting your mind wander in the dark. Improvisational solo piano, listen as the rhythm morphs. Withstands the test of time.

matthijskoopmans
2008-03-19, 11:42
Leftism, Rythm & Stealth... great for in the Dark
Róisín Murphy - Ruby blue (entire album)
Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium (entire album)

Ondekoza - Legend, Track 1 - Odaiko.... crank it up! (but warn your neighbours)

chipbutty
2008-03-19, 12:13
I saw Leftfield live just after Rhythm and Stealth came out. The bass at the gig was frightening. I felt like I'd gone ten rounds with a heavyweight boxer afterwards. Each beat thundered into your ribcage!

Leftism, Rythm & Stealth... great for in the Dark
Róisín Murphy - Ruby blue (entire album)
Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium (entire album)

Ondekoza - Legend, Track 1 - Odaiko.... crank it up! (but warn your neighbours)

haraldo
2008-03-19, 13:09
I saw Leftfield live just after Rhythm and Stealth came out. The bass at the gig was frightening. I felt like I'd gone ten rounds with a heavyweight boxer afterwards. Each beat thundered into your ribcage!

For those who like Leftfield, try "A final hit", not so much new, but some remixes that can make your heart almost stop.... Amazing.....

matthijskoopmans
2008-03-26, 03:36

I have a live recording of the Homelands gig by Leftfield... I know what you mean about that bass.... it is amazing

Craig
2008-03-26, 16:26
Yes, it was a re-recording with original vocalist Clare Torry.
I saw Roger Waters at Wembley a long long time ago and he brought Clare Torry on as a special guest to sing Great Gig in the Sky - wow!!

Craig

th00ht
2008-03-26, 17:49
Timewind, Klaus Schulze

Philip Meyer
2008-03-30, 17:24
>Timewind, Klaus Schulze
Good choice.

I also like Brian Eno - Apollo, and Global Communication 76:14.

Phil

haraldo
2008-04-01, 15:05
This is something that really made me stop, and think about what's important in life

Tori Amos, I can't see New York... A very very very beautiful song, now I understand what it's about.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGu0EA3Apog

egd
2008-04-03, 01:24
This is something that really made me stop, and think about what's important in life

Tori Amos, I can't see New York... A very very very beautiful songThanks, I've rediscovered a gem :)

yocky
2008-04-03, 03:56
You people masturbate to some strange music.

The William Tell Overture for me every time.

mmg_fan
2008-04-07, 19:16
Miss Otis from BlackBird by Sri Sivale
http://www.musicfromnorway.com/default.aspx?norwegian=artist&music=21501
and

Sometimes I feel Like a Motherless Child
from the album Antiphone Blues
http://store.acousticsounds.com/browse_detail.cfm?Title_ID=3921

haraldo
2008-05-10, 17:12
The late Björn Afzelius, a musician with a great heart!!!
- Ljuset
- Ikaros

These songs are so strong that grown up men cry when listening to them !
Björn Afzelius was a master of creating magic moments with hos songs

-Harald

Uluen
2008-05-22, 05:29
This Mortal Coil - Blood: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:dpfexq95ld6e

Laura Veirs - Carbon Glacier: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:aifrxqlsldke

Lhasa -The Living Road: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0bfoxqraldfe

Rhythm & Sound - See Mi Yah Remixes: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0xfrxqrdldte

Plastikman - Consumed: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fcfixq9jldke

The Knife - Silent Shout: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:hpfuxqydldse

The White Birch - Star Is Just a Sun: http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:0zfoxqrald6e

newy
2008-07-23, 20:20
The Orb - "The Orb's Adventure's Beyond The Ultraworld" (preferrably the US edited version but the UK double CD will work too). I guarantee the last track will leave you stunned.

The Cult - from Love "Brother Wolf, Sister Moon"

Jeff Buckley - "Grace"

Peter Vriends - "Emotional Travelogue" (way under-rated)

Yes - from Big Generator "Shoot High, Aim Low"

chill...................

htrd
2008-07-31, 03:42
Plastikman - Consumed:

I could never get in to "Consumed" - I think I sold my copy after a few listens. However I recommend his later "Closer" which has always been compelling listening.

bartverwaaijen
2008-08-29, 12:31
Real great music in all of thes posts. But on all the Dire straits posts I have to add Theme from local hero. on aLchemy 1983.

And Tom Waits - Pony
Bruce springsteen - The Hitter

autopilot
2008-09-02, 01:27
For the spacey/ambient electro fans around here, these are my ultimate 'lights out' albums...

Funki Porcini - Fast Asleep
Ulrich Schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By
Solar Quest - Orgship
Future Sound of London - Life forms

Maybe a bit of Cinematic Orchestra, Bonobo or Husky Rescue for something a bit more 'upbeat' lol :)

autopilot
2008-09-02, 01:30
I have a live recording of the Homelands gig by Leftfield... I know what you mean about that bass.... it is amazing

A bit too upbeat for 'light out' for me. Leftfield would make me want to get up, turn the lights on and dance around. The Leftfield lads were Amazing, saw them in Leeds (their own sound system) and Glastonbury (the classic live gig you often hear on the BBC etc - i'm sure you can here me shouting :)), one of my all-time favourite electro acts, but not a light out album(s) for me - although some tracks are. And yes, they had a sound system that could kill a man.

in fact i'm off to listen to Leftism right now...

maggior
2008-09-02, 13:31
Interesting to see this thread come back to life. My 5 faves for listening with 'phones in the dark are (Yes, it's a Berlin School Moog Fest :-):

Phaedra - Tangerine Dream
Rubycon - Tangerine Dream
Redshift - Redshift
Epsilon in Malaysian Pale - Edgar Froese
*especially Maroubra Bay. It is such a beautiful track
Mirage - Klaus Schulze
*especially Crystal Lake. Another gorgeous track.

Philip Meyer
2008-09-03, 08:57
Hi maggior <maggior.3f4nkb1220387702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,

>Phaedra - Tangerine Dream
>Rubycon - Tangerine Dream
>Redshift - Redshift
>Epsilon in Malaysian Pale - Edgar Froese
>*especially Maroubra Bay. It is such a beautiful track
>Mirage - Klaus Schulze
>*especially Crystal Lake. Another gorgeous track.
>
I vote for all those, plus:

AirSculpture - Impossible Geometries
Brian Eno - Apollo
Global Communication - 76:14 (especially the track with the ticking clock)
Radio Massacre International - At the October Gallery
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri

kesey
2008-09-03, 09:57
Another Sky - Altan
Astral Weeks - Van Morrison
Carmen-Fantasie - Anne-sophie Mutter
Chants d'Auvergne - Kiri Te Kanawa
Dear Old Stockholm - John Coltrane
Dreaming Wide Awake - Lizz Wright
Four Way Street - Crosby Stills Nash & Young
Give it Up - Bonnie Raitt
Granuaile - Shaun Davey
The Healer - John Lee Hooker
In Dulci Jubilo - Choir of Winchester Cathedral
Jazz at the Pawnshop - Domnerus Hallberg etc
Kate & Anna McGarrigle
The Last Concert - Modern Jazz Quartet
Laura Fygi at Ronnie Scotts
Live in San Francisco - Stephane Grapelli
Moanin' - Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers
Mud Slide Slim - James Taylor
Naturally - J.J. Cale
Never Never Land - Jane Monheit
The Trinity Sessions - Cowboy Junkies

Good morning:-)

Black Pearl
2008-09-04, 06:49
Depends on the mood I'm in but would be one of these:

Nest - Nest

Available here http://www.serein.co.uk/music/ser013/

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians

But only when my wife is not in as it drives her demented

Roedelius - Pink, Blue and Amber

Fantastic artist and my favourite of his many.

Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards

Waits at his very best.

maggior
2008-09-04, 09:20
Hi maggior <maggior.3f4nkb1220387702 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,

>Phaedra - Tangerine Dream
>Rubycon - Tangerine Dream
>Redshift - Redshift
>Epsilon in Malaysian Pale - Edgar Froese
>*especially Maroubra Bay. It is such a beautiful track
>Mirage - Klaus Schulze
>*especially Crystal Lake. Another gorgeous track.
>
I vote for all those, plus:

AirSculpture - Impossible Geometries
Brian Eno - Apollo
Global Communication - 76:14 (especially the track with the ticking clock)
Radio Massacre International - At the October Gallery
Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri

RMI a definite thumbs up!! AirSculpture too!

Alpha Centauri never really did it for me. The earliest TD disc that I really enjoy is Atem.

Philip Meyer
2008-09-04, 10:18
>Alpha Centauri never really did it for me. The earliest TD disc that I
>really enjoy is Atem.
Interesting. Alpha Centauri was just before Atem; they are quite similar. My first Tangerine Dream experience was a compilation of the Melrose-period TD, then I got Force Majeure, Encore and Exit as a set. Alpha Centauri followed, as I explored TD's catalogue backwards! It sounds best at night loud with the lights off.

I guess I should add Force Majeure to the list too, in particular Thru Metaphoric Rocks.

Phil

androidtopp
2008-09-04, 10:48
No Sigur Ros with the lights out? My rule is that I can't have a debut listen of a new Sigur Ros CD unless it's dark and I have nothing pre-occupying me.

The cut of "Agaetis Byrjun" off "Heim" is absolutely magical.

DeVerm
2008-09-12, 23:38
So many posts, but not:

Radio K.A.O.S. - Roger Waters
The Thieving Magpie - Marillion (nobody does Marillion at all??!!?)
Medusa - Annie Lennox

ciao!
Verm.

fairyliquidizer
2008-09-17, 16:40
'Private Investigations' off that album does it for me - lights off, particularly.

I love that song. I love Romeo and Juliet too :)

Mozart's Requiem Mass kicks ass with the lights up and the fidelity on 11!

Dogberry2
2008-09-19, 09:40
You people masturbate to some strange music.

The William Tell Overture for me every time.Now that's funny!

Incidentally, you ARE talking about the Spike Jones version, right?

Dogberry2
2008-09-19, 09:41
Aside from all the obvious Pink Floyd references, I'd also throw in:

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination and also I, Robot by the Alan Parsons Project
The Other Side Of Abbey Road by George Benson
5 by J.J. Cale
CSN by Crosby, Stills & Nash
Guitars And Other Cathedrals by Adrian Legg
Mystery To Me by Fleetwood Mac
Get Rhythm by Ry Cooder
Bridge Of Sighs by Robin Trower
Blow By Blow by Jeff Beck
M.F. Horn 3 by Maynard Ferguson
Rhapsody For Now by Doc Severinsen
Alabama Concerto by Cannonball Adderley & Art Farmer
Boston by Boston
Love Scenes by Diana Krall
and most of the Moody Blues and Steely Dan discographies

turbot fiend
2010-09-01, 10:15
Try these in the dark:

Richard Hawley - Truelove's Gutter
Brian Eno - Before and After Science (side two with 'By this River')
God Is an Astronaut - All is violent, All is Bright.
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts (All Sweet Things, Song of the Surf)

and for old schoolers:
DSOTM - obviously
Hawkwind - Space Ritual (check out Lemmy's mesmerising bass lines on 'Down Through the Night' or 'Orgone Accumulator'
Frank Sinatra - A Man Alone (with Rod Mckuen)

May your rooms be dark and warm.

alZmtbr
2010-09-02, 10:48
This is a 'classic' headphones/lights out -- just may have play it later:

FM - BlackNoise

http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Noise-FM-Rock/dp/B000006YQW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283448194&sr=1-2

Can you believe the price?

Also for me the early Pat Metheny and Pat Metheny Group.

Dire Straits "Live at the BBC".

But of course the electro genre "Massive Attack", "Delerium", "LeftField", Daddy-G to shake things up a bit.

gusi
2010-09-05, 08:19
The first three Massive attacks
Donald Byrd and voices
Miles Davis relaxin
Chet Baker
and many many others

most importantly;
Sun Ra to turn the stereo off and go to bed. I just don't get him.