PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to send song info (now playing) to Trillian chat?

mkanet
2006-11-24, 15:37
Is there a way to send song info (now playing) to Trillian chat users?

I already can send Winamp/Windows Media Player song info (now playing) to a trillian chat window (for example (mkanet is now listening to: Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey)

Now that I use Slimserver/Softsqueeze, I'd like to be able to do the same.

Thanks,
Michael

ddewey
2006-11-24, 17:42
Quoting mkanet (mkanet.2hstcn1164408001 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Is there a way to send song info (now playing) to Trillian chat users?
>
> I already can send Winamp/Windows Media Player song info (now playing)
> to a trillian chat window (for example (mkanet is now listening to:
> Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey)
>
> Now that I use Slimserver/Softsqueeze, I'd like to be able to do the
> same.

Seconded...

crawler2006
2006-11-25, 14:27
More generically, the Trillian chat feature is adapted from MSN's feature allowing the same thing for music playing in WMP. Ditto with Google Talk, which can pick up track info from either WMP or Winamp.

mkanet
2006-11-25, 15:05
Hmmm... I guess there's no support for this after all. No wonder I couldn't find anything on this topic when doing a search. Well, thanks for the responses guys. I'm curious if this is a feature request that should go in the plugins area or maybe somewhere else?

ModelCitizen
2006-11-25, 15:16
I really do not know Trillion but wonder if it might be possible somehow to use the announce html ouput of Last.FM (via the Last.fm/SlimScrobbler plugin)
MC

stinkingpig
2006-11-25, 15:25
On 11/25/06, ModelCitizen
<ModelCitizen.2hun3b1164493201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
>
> I really do not know Trillion but wonder if it might be possible somehow
> to use the announce html ouput of Last.FM (via the Last.fm/SlimScrobbler
> plugin)
> MC
>

It's probably possible, in theory -- Trillian is based on libgaim (so
is Adium for you OSX people). Gaim has a very extensive plugin
architecture and supports most scripting languages, including Perl.

That said, someone who knows how has to want it badly enough to do it.
Gaim support is a lot more likely off the bat than Trillian support.
--
"I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

mkanet
2007-12-07, 10:52
Just checking in to see if there's anything new...

ddewey
2007-12-07, 11:24
Quoting mkanet (mkanet.318g5n1197050101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
> Just checking in to see if there's anything new...

Trillian Astra (newest version, in private alpha testing) has an
interface now to get now playing information from WinAmp and iTunes
into their status messages.

I haven't been able to get it to work yet with streaming mp3 from
Slimserver (or in any other way), but I am hopeful that once this is
fixed/stable/released it will provide a structured way to get data
from Slimserver into it too. I'm assuming a plugin will have to be
written...

dd

mkanet
2010-02-05, 21:31
Its been a while... I thought I'd check back to see if anyone ever figured out a way to get "Now playing" displayed in the status message of Trillian Astra. If there was a "Trillian Astra" social network app on mysqueezebox.com, that would work very well. Maybe, it has to be the other way around (like we originally thought) to add a Trillian Astra plugin for Squeezebox. If anyone has a clever way to even indirectly do this, please post here. I use both several times a day!

bobkoure
2010-02-07, 19:10
Well, the "now playing" info is available on a per=player basis from the server's CLI interface.
As an easy example, you can get the current artwork for a particular player using the following address in your browser.
http://<server>:<port>/music/current/cover.jpg?player=<playerid>
Have a look at http://<server>:<port>/en/html/docs/cli-api.html for a description of the CLI interface.

This is only useful if you're using your own server (once the basic SB pattern, but I guess that's changing).

mkanet
2010-02-07, 20:32
I'm actually thinking of the bigger picture with a easy way to relay this information to multiple social networking/chat networks...

One thing to our advantage is squeezebox server does a "ok" job sending played songs to audioscrobbler's RSS feed via your lastFM account.

Since facebook, twitter, trillian, aim, yahoo, etc all have their own way of displaying a status message, it makes sense to look for a common standard. ie, an RSS or ATOM feed.

It probably wouldnt take too long for someone to make small plugins to something like plugin, facebook, etc to replace the user's status message with the lastest update from audioscrobbler.

For example:

http://ws.audioscrobbler.com/2.0/user/mkanet/recenttracks.rss

(Please dont laugh at what I listen to :)

I didnt look hard enough for a good solution to do this for at least Trillian Astra... but, I think RSS might be the way to go since most apps/sites are RSS-friendly.

If someone figures out a way to do with without requiring for me to write a universal Now Playing app for various services, I'm sure they would be a pretty popular person. Music services such as Pandora already update facebook and twitter... its just a matter of time before Logitech/squeeze community realizes this is something desirable for social networking/chat apps like Trillian. I might be just a little bit ahead of the times... but things are slowly catching on... with people realizing the benefits of such features...

-MKANET

Well, the "now playing" info is available on a per=player basis from the server's CLI interface.
As an easy example, you can get the current artwork for a particular player using the following address in your browser.
http://<server>:<port>/music/current/cover.jpg?player=<playerid>
Have a look at http://<server>:<port>/en/html/docs/cli-api.html for a description of the CLI interface.

This is only useful if you're using your own server (once the basic SB pattern, but I guess that's changing).