PDA

View Full Version : Mac Centric NAS Server?

Jazz1
2006-11-23, 12:51
Ok, I'm a Mac guy. What NAS server do I need to run Slimserver? If I want to administer the NAS server from Macs what should I be looking at? Looking for something quiet that can handle SATA drive up to 750gb. Wonder if I should wait for Apple's iTv, even for music, if I'm so Mac centric ;) But Slimserver is so cool, as is the SB!

radish
2006-11-23, 16:27
I don't think NAS units typically care what type of machines connect to them - most run Linux and the control functions are usually web based.

aubuti
2006-11-26, 20:03
I don't think NAS units typically care what type of machines connect to them - most run Linux and the control functions are usually web based.
Web based or telnet/ssh based. Either way it's like radish says: the NAS doesn't care what kind of machine is connecting to it.

MelonMonkey
2006-11-27, 11:46
Buy a Mac mini (used or new). Attach a 750GB drive to it externally using one of the many enclosures available. Alternately you can connect the 750 to the internal SATA connector and power it inside an external case (but you might as well just use the FireWire or USB2 connection for this).

Now you have a simpe and clean Slimserver that will also stream movies if you want to later buy the iTV device Apple will release. The iTV is not a replacement for a Squeezebox in my opinion. Not unless Apple release something completely different than what they showed the public already.

If you want much more than 750GB of storage, then get an Infrant ReadyNAS for storage and populate it with whatever you want - but I'd still run Slimsever on a Mac mini. Slim's Infrant deal is decent, or you can buy one empty and put your own drives in it.