PDA

View Full Version : Album Art Crashes SServer

Andyb01
2006-11-23, 09:58
Odd one this - been working fine for weeks on one of the nightly builds and now when I click gallery view, the first page loads fine and then any subsequent page dispplays a few covers then nothing and shuts down slimserver which has to be restarted.

Bizarre or what. I am installing the latest build to try although having to uninstall in safe mode as 6.5 uninstall doesn't do a very thorough job.

Have emailed tech support on this so will post if I get a fix. In the meantime if anyone can advise then please do.

Recently moved to IE7 in the last week or so but as this affect Mozilla too that can't be the problem.

Regards

Andy

OS is Win XP SP2 with SlimServer_6.5_v2006-10-02

kdf
2006-11-23, 10:04
Quoting Andyb01 <Andyb01.2hqiy01164301202 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Odd one this - been working fine for weeks on one of the nightly builds
> and now when I click gallery view, the first page loads fine and then
> any subsequent page dispplays a few covers then nothing and shuts down
> slimserver which has to be restarted.

please post the event viewer message.

Andyb01
2006-11-23, 10:15
You'll have to help me out here - no idea what the event viewer is or where to find it.

Have just installed latest version and the firmware upgrade but still exactly the same problem.

Andy

kdf
2006-11-23, 10:29
Quoting Andyb01 <Andyb01.2hqjvb1164302401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> You'll have to help me out here - no idea what the event viewer is or
> where to find it.

start->settings->control panel->administration tools

There should be a message related to slimserver at the time of the crash.

-kdf

Andyb01
2006-11-23, 11:52
Ok - I cleared the log and recreated the error to be sure of getting the correct message which is as follows:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed."

Any wiser?

Andy

kdf
2006-11-23, 13:43
Quoting Andyb01 <Andyb01.2hqo9n1164308101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

>
> Ok - I cleared the log and recreated the error to be sure of getting the
> correct message which is as follows:
>
> "The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( Application ) cannot be
> found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
> information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
> computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
> description; see Help and Support for details. The following
> information is part of the event: Perl interpreter failed."
>
> Any wiser?
sadly, that's pretty much a helpless cry of despair from the perl
interpreter used to build SlimServer for windows. There is one other
report of this being a problem when the album sorting is set to
something other than the default "album". You might consider trying a
smaller test library, adding albums bit by bit to see if it is related
to the library contents. So far, it's not something that is easily
reproduced or diagnosed...only a source of frustration and fuel for
ire for the users who run into it. On my setup, it seem to work fine
aside form the known issue of the pages not matching up with the
letters indices.

I'd suggest contacting support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com so they can collect
any details that might help.

cheers,
kdf

Andyb01
2006-11-23, 14:07
OK

My album art library works by the presence of a 'cover.jpg' file in each folder and that has worked so far. I did have an initial problem with two albums displaying the same art work and was able to correct this by using the extended tags in MP3Tag but the thought of doing it for a couple of thousand files or so doesn't inspire - especially when it may not even solve the problem.

Sounds like I'm stuck with it then. Not that it actually matters because I can start slimserver and use the squeezebox I just don't like it when I know that somewhere things are not working as they should.

I'll see what tech support turn up. Appreciate you taking the time out to help.

Thanks

Andy

Mike Anderson
2006-11-23, 19:33
I have the same problem, using recent nightly build (11-21-06) of 6.5.1 on Windows XP.

Andyb01
2006-11-24, 01:28
Interesting - must be some kind of bug. I renamed all my album art files from cover.jpg to album.jpg and have cleared/re-scanned the library.

Problem persists however - very odd

kdf
2006-11-24, 01:38
Andyb01 wrote:
> Interesting - must be some kind of bug. I renamed all my album art
> files from cover.jpg to album.jpg and have cleared/re-scanned the
> library.
>
> Problem persists however - very odd
>
>
>
I'm not surprised at all, frankly. Changing the filename doesn't really
change anything aside from a few characters of text. If an image is of
some slightly different type that the server exects, for example,
filename won't affect that data. Point to a subdir as your music
folder, rescan and try that. Then try another and another. try
splitting it in half. my library of 1200 albums is primarily cover.jpg,
and as I have said before, no crash on win2k or winxp with the latest
6.5.1 nightly build. But, my data isn't your data.

-kdf

Andyb01
2006-11-24, 10:38
Well I realise it was a long shot - there was a tagging error with the piece of album art in question at the point it starts failing so I have re-tagged this and all the files using the extended tags in mp3tag and done a clear / rescan but the problem persists. Not a word from tech support in the mean time.

I can try splitting the library as suggested but not sure where that gets me either if it simply recurs when I re-combine it as SB can only search one music destination and I have my files listed in folders by artist and by album beneath that.

Odd that it has suddenly become a problem after previously working perfectly.

Andyb01
2007-05-09, 08:29
This has been an ongoing problem for me where gallery view crashes slimserver at certain albums and detailed investigation shows the cause of this to be large image files. Some of my old albums were ripped from vinyl and - unable to obtain album art - I scanned in the images. This resulted in fairly large image files (1.5 - 2Mb) and it's these that crash slimserver as soon as it hits them. Having now identified and removed the six offending images all is now well (I have simply replaced them with some simple covers I knocked up in a graphics package).

Thanks to the Slimserver tech support in helping isolate the specific file causing the problem and I then made the link as the next crash was also a scanned file.

Hope this helps anyone else having a similar problem

aubuti
2007-05-09, 09:19
This has been an ongoing problem for me where gallery view crashes slimserver at certain albums and detailed investigation shows the cause of this to be large image files. Some of my old albums were ripped from vinyl and - unable to obtain album art - I scanned in the images. This resulted in fairly large image files (1.5 - 2Mb) and it's these that crash slimserver as soon as it hits them. Having now identified and removed the six offending images all is now well (I have simply replaced them with some simple covers I knocked up in a graphics package).
If you want to keep the original image but in a slimserver-friendly way, there are a lot of packages that allow you to shrink JPGs to a manageable size. IrfanView is a freeware package that does this easily. You'll lose the detail, but it will look just fine as a 250x250 pixel or similarly sized image.

Andyb01
2007-05-09, 11:26
If you want to keep the original image but in a slimserver-friendly way, there are a lot of packages that allow you to shrink JPGs to a manageable size. IrfanView is a freeware package that does this easily. You'll lose the detail, but it will look just fine as a 250x250 pixel or similarly sized image.

Nice one thanks - will look that one up.

Thorphin
2007-07-20, 10:30
Thanks to the Slimserver tech support in helping isolate the specific file causing the problem and I then made the link as the next crash was also a scanned file.

Hope this helps anyone else having a similar problem

I'm running into exactly the same issue described in this thread - only it's really annoying for me because I generally use the web interface and cover art at work -- of course, where I can't restart the server if it craps out.

I've found that it's generally more of a problem when it's loading images and I click on something - an album image, an add to playlist button, etc. But it also seems to crash more often when I'm loading lots of covers on multiple pages in succession.

I do have large covers in a lot of my files (800x800 or so - I recently added a couple that were 1200 pixels, but I was having the problem well before these especially large covers), but really prefer it this way, because it's nice to see the cover when you click on an album. Do we think the crashing is related to pixel size or file size? I suppose an option would be to go in and increase the JPG compression on the cover images and see if that helps.

1. But, I guess, the main question is, how do I, as you say slimdevices helped you, track down which images are problematic? I have a good 1500 cover images to deal with here.

2. Has this been reported as a bug?

3. Any suggestions on any way to kickstart the server from a distance when it crashes? I ran services.msc and set it to restart the Slimserver service if it fails, but that clearly hasn't worked.