PDA

View Full Version : IP Address issues..

BG Mets
2006-11-22, 07:26
Okay, so last night I reinstalled XP on my Dell Inspiron just to clean it up. This morning I tried connecting to the internet and it's not working. The computer cannot find an IP address, what do I do now? Anyone? Anyone?

slimpy
2006-11-22, 08:32
Okay, so last night I reinstalled XP on my Dell Inspiron just to clean it up. This morning I tried connecting to the internet and it's not working. The computer cannot find an IP address, what do I do now? Anyone? Anyone?
Search for an XP forum?

-s.

jonheal
2006-11-22, 09:10

If you couldn't connect to the Internet, how the heck did you post the message?

bgriffis
2006-11-22, 19:42
Open up the device manager and see what shows up under Network Adapters. Do you see your network card/hardware in there? Are there any error messages such as missing driver, etc.?

bergek
2006-11-23, 07:02
Click Start -> Run. Type 'cmd' and hit Enter. Type 'ipconfig -all' and hit Enter. Copy the result (enlarge the window to fit) and post it here.

Other things: Did you actually use a dynamic address before you reinstalled? What assigns IP addresses on your network? Another server, a wireless router?

richidoo
2006-11-23, 09:01
Run the network wizard. It should be popping up each time you try to connect and can't. Microsoft is SO tricky that way. Useful and helpful too.

Likely the puter doesn't have your net card installed, check in device manager pressing windows key and break will get you there. Hardware tab, device manager. Look for problems, make sure net card appears and everything else looks good. Properties of net card will say working normally.

Then you need to verify a connection. If you are on LAN, a connection is easy to make. If you connect through a modem connected directly to your computer, your ISP will walk you through fixing it for free. If you have a router, just plugging into it should give you popup to connect.

Thinking about it, you probably did not connect your computer to the router/internet when it asked you to during setup. It would have done all this for you automagically. Or maybe not. We all love MS SO much. Running network wizerd should do the same thing. PM me if you need more help.
Rich

Siduhe
2006-11-23, 09:13

Dell you say ? If so, you need to reinstall the Dell Utilities which are on a seperate disk supplied at the time you got your computer. Most of them are also downloadable from the Dell website (although that's a fat lot of good when you can't connect in the first place). Dell will also send you a new Utilities disk if you email them.

The two critical ones I needed to reinstall were the Network card and wireless network drivers which sounds similar to your problem.