PDA

View Full Version : Skin Breaks SlimServer!

RonJeffries
2006-11-22, 00:27
I downloaded and installed 6.5.whatever it is today. (I'm not on that computer just now.) Install went OK, scan went OK, didn't seem too long or anything.

Then I was fiddling with the skins. I set default2, and not only was it really odd looking, it got 404s trying to set a different skin.

I searched around to see if I could find where it remembers "default2" but couldn't find where to set it back manually. Re-installed, and it was still broken. Finally deleted all the folders I could (mysql was locked, and some others), and reinstalled, and it's back. Also, this time, default2 doesn't seem to be offered. No problem there, I wasn't planning to try it again.

Just thought folks would like to know. Any useful hints will be appreciated. Thanks!

Maditude
2006-11-22, 00:58
> Then I was fiddling with the skins. I set default2, and not only
> was it really odd looking, it got 404s trying to set a different
> skin.

Did you try forcing a refresh on the page? Might be an old cached version mucking things up...

ModelCitizen
2006-11-22, 01:03
I've assumed you are on Windows. If not, hopefully you'll know what to so.

It sound's like you may have installed 6.5 over a non-6.5 installation without deleting the Program Files/slimserver directory. Unfortunately the uninstall of 5.2/3 etc does not remove all the files left in this directory and this screws up the installation of 6.5. I believe if you search for default2 on this forum you'll find others who have had exactly the same thing.

Add /default to the URL of your Slimserver and it'll bring you back to the default skin (if I was you I'd add /fishbone instead and then select Help from top right and choose the Tan version... the best skin for a PC by a long way imho!)

Saying this, I think you'd be wise to uninstall your current 6.5, delete the SlimServer diretory found in Program Files and then install 6.5 from afresh again. Otherwise you may well encounter other problems.

Why on earth there are not big warnings about this on the 6.5 download page and the installer is beyond me. SlimDevices have had long enough to sort it out. It's not as if it's a new issue or anything.

MC

kdf
2006-11-22, 01:23
Default2 is a dead skin. removing skins was an oversight in 6.5.0 but is fixed in 6.5.1 nightly builds (has been for a very long time)

you can download here:
http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html

-kdf