PDA

View Full Version : 6.5.0 upgrade problems

Phillipstanton
2006-11-21, 16:31
It was bound to happen. I've owned SliMP3s and SBv3s ever since ever and I've never had a bad upgrade. Until now.

I upgraded to 6.5.0 last night.

Scanning seems to be painfully slow compared to previous versions and is failing to correctly pick up genre tags from around 60 albums. Every other MP3 aware program I've got tells me they're tagged and I can't find a way of convincing the SlimServer to pick up the tags.

Performance under windows also seems to be painfully slow. I've been running my server happily on an old Pentium III laptop with 256mb of RAM for a couple of years, but it's now taking 2-3 minutes to do page refreshes where anything to do with the database is involved. It's ok for non-database pages like settings.

Is there anything I can specifically do to help debug this? Or am I better holding tight for the next release?

Edit: forgot to say that this is a completely clean install as I took the opportunity to do a six-monthly rebuild of the laptop. The only thing I've got running is the SlimServer plus whatever runs in the background with iTunes.

ceejay
2006-11-22, 01:32
6.5.1 nightlies are a better bet than 6.5.0 (a lot of fixes have gone in to it). However one of your issues sounds like an itunes integration problem, try having a search for issues around itunes, refresh etc.

Ceejay

Phillipstanton
2006-11-22, 04:02
6.5.1 nightlies are a better bet than 6.5.0 (a lot of fixes have gone in to it). However one of your issues sounds like an itunes integration problem, try having a search for issues around itunes, refresh etc.
My understanding was that I'd need to do a Perl install for the nightlies. Whilst I know it's not a big job to do that, it's one more thing to manage and I'd like to avoid doing that...

I should have said, sorry, that I'm not using iTunes for the database - I only run it to edit tags.

radish
2006-11-22, 08:33
My understanding was that I'd need to do a Perl install for the nightlies.
I don't think so, they should be packaged as executables in the normal manner (I'm assuming you're running Windows). You do need Perl if you want to run from source (e.g. subversion) but I doubt you want to do that!

Phillipstanton
2006-11-22, 09:04
The current 6.5.1 nightly has a Mac version, but not a Windows executable...

Siduhe
2006-11-22, 09:20
Last nights is here:

http://www.slimdevices.com/downloads/nightly/SlimServer_6_5_x_v2006-11-21/

Phillipstanton
2006-11-22, 11:06
Very much appreciated.

Phillipstanton
2006-11-23, 06:31
I've done an upgrade to the 6.5.1 nightly (11/21 version).

It's a bit better, but is still unstable.

mySQL is intemittently maxing out the CPU at random intervals.

I also still have files coming up with no genre. If I rescan then these gain their genre, but something else loses its genre...

If I select "Clear the library and rescan" then the library doesn't get cleared.

IPC issues maybe?

I should say that the library is large - 28,000 tracks - I had a very mis-spent youth...

BTW - I thought I'd treat the laptop to a memory upgrade to see if it helps - so I'm now running with 0.75 gb of memory.

How can I help? (If at all?)

Phillipstanton
2006-11-23, 06:33
I've just noticed that exiting the SlimServer doesn't exit the mySQLd process...