PDA

View Full Version : Speaker stand recommendations?

coldslabs
2006-11-21, 11:08
I have found recommendations for speaker stands in the archives, but not exactly what to look for when buying a speaker stand (MDF vs. metal, spiked feet, size considerations, etc). Does anyone have recommendations for some reasonably priced speaker stands and/or any links to information/advice about what features to look for when buying them? My main goal is to get my speakers off the floor, away from the wall and at a good height (24") for listening without spending too much money (meaning ~$100 if possible).

I tried to google for related information, but a lot of what I found was marketing spin which was difficult to sort though intelligently. I've also considered building my own out of MDF after finding a number of plans.

Any advice or links to appropriate resources would be appreciated.

radish
2006-11-21, 11:23
The general things to look for are solidity and isolation. You typically want something dense and heavy, so MDF would probably work if it's a solid construction - otherwise a lot of people use steel tube construction filled with sand or something similar.

For isolation it depends on your flooring. You want the point of contact between the stand and the floor to be as small as possible so spikes work very well, but obviously may not be appropriate on expensive wooden floors. I use isolation disks in this case.

Finally make sure the speakers are well attached to the stands, you can get all sorts of fancy rubber pads for this but most people I speak to use blutack (or your local equivalent).

Super-Gonzo
2006-11-21, 14:20
I've recently purchased these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=240-744&raid=45&rak=240-744

I have a rather heavy (40+ lbs each) pair of 24" tall monitors, and they are rock solid on these stands. I did a lot of searching, and anything else as sturdy as these were too expensive for my budget.

They are extremely solid cast metal with spikes to the floor and to the speaker. They are sand fillable if you want even more weight.

Each set of spikes top and bottom are adjustable, so you can get the stand perfectly level and in full contact with the floor for good stability.

The best part is they are 97 bucks, shipped free (which is a heck of a deal for a 54 lb box.)

I have wood floors, so one additional thing I did was to create 1.5" square wood blocks with a shallow hole for the spikes to sit in, so the floor spikes wouldn't scratch up the floor. Of course, if you have carpets, this won't apply to you.

JJZolx
2006-11-21, 14:56
I've recently purchased these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?PartNumber=240-744&raid=45&rak=240-744

I've seen the Parts Express stands recommended quite often. You definitely want to fill them, though, or they'll ring like most any hollow steel stand. You can use poster tack or rubber bumpers on the top platforms if you don't like the idea of spikes under your speakers.

coldslabs
2006-11-22, 09:39
Thanks for the recommendations and info. I founds those stands at partsexpress during my searching and they seemed to fit my needs. It is nice to have a recommendation for them.

One more question: What size should the platform be that the speaker sits on? The one you linked to has a 225mm x 220mm platform. The similar stand below has a 180mm x 180mm platform:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=240-742

How should the platform and speaker size relate (I think my speakers are 200mm x 340mm)? Is the 180mm x 180mm platform large enough?

radish
2006-11-22, 09:41
I don't really think the size of the speaker platform is super important provided the connection between them is solid (hence the use of something like blutack to bond them together).

adamslim
2006-11-22, 16:08
I have wood floors, so one additional thing I did was to create 1.5" square wood blocks with a shallow hole for the spikes to sit in, so the floor spikes wouldn't scratch up the floor. Of course, if you have carpets, this won't apply to you.

If you have carpets, get some 2-inch cross-head screws, screw them into the floorboards through the carpet, and put the speaker on spikes on these. It gets them rock-solid, and is actually better for the carpet. Of course, you need to sort out the speaker positioning first...

coldslabs
2007-01-14, 14:40
I ended up getting the Dayton's from PartsExpress (while they still had free shipping) and I'm quite satisfied with both the stands and PartsExpress' service. Thanks for all the advice:

stinkpot
2007-01-15, 00:24
i've found an easy solution to be 8X8X8 cement block cubes from home depot. they're stackable and 97 cents a pop.

head over to a fabric store and buy $2 worth of covering fabric that matches your room.

for $10, you end up with surprisingly acceptable-looking stands that are just rock solid.

mflint
2007-01-15, 05:21
If you have carpets, get some 2-inch cross-head screws, screw them into the floorboards through the carpet, and put the speaker on spikes on these. It gets them rock-solid, and is actually better for the carpet. Of course, you need to sort out the speaker positioning first...

I agree entirely! I've done this at home and it does work well, but you're limited, of course, with the height that the speakers can be raised above floor level.

And without wishing to state the obvious, 3 screws per speaker...!

"First shalt thou take out the Holy Pile of Screws. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, screwest thou thy Holy Screws of Antioch into thy floor, who, being wooden in My sight, shall blah blah..."